changing the multimedia system in lexus nx

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 08:37 PM
rahimghora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing the multimedia system in lexus nx

hi

I hate the lexus infotainment system. its ancient and it can mirror my android phone. i also like waze/google maps navigation. thus i prefer to update my infotainment screen. I recently find android based headunit on aliexpress. it said that it is compatible with steering buttons and support the touch pad. does anybody use this or similar products?? do they reliable ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andr...078fef9f&tpp=1
Old 01-24-18, 07:01 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rahimghora
hi

I hate the lexus infotainment system. its ancient and it can mirror my android phone. i also like waze/google maps navigation. thus i prefer to update my infotainment screen. I recently find android based headunit on aliexpress. it said that it is compatible with steering buttons and support the touch pad. does anybody use this or similar products?? do they reliable ?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Andr...078fef9f&tpp=1

If the nx hvac controls were integrated into the multimedia system and had no physical buttons I would say to be very skeptical, however since the nx controls are separate physical buttons and it looks like this android box just kind of plugs in between the screen and the rest of the system, it looks like it may be a viable options. Unfortunately, only way to know is to try it. I agree, i wish Lexus would just let us mirror our iphone or android phone and call it a day.
Old 01-24-18, 08:43 AM
rahimghora
Driver School Candidate

The vendor claim that the android device is compatible with the touchpad and also can execute the commands from the buttons on the streering wheel. So, it is more than an interface.

Does any body install something similar?
Old 01-24-18, 09:19 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rahimghora
The vendor claim that the android device is compatible with the touchpad and also can execute the commands from the buttons on the streering wheel. So, it is more than an interface.

Does any body install something similar?
I can bet the unit you linked to sits between the stock multimedia and the screen and just intercepts the touches and replaces the video shown on the screen. The steering wheel controls are no big deal to get information from as all of that is now on the canbus and canbus decorders are easily available. The touchpad is most likely just registered as a usb device or something similar. I would be pretty confident trying this as it is basically a stand alone system reusing the factory screen and input and shouldn't affect your hvac, granted it doesn't mention if the onscreen hvac controls will work, but i never use those anyway since we have physical buttons. I would try this if the price was lower, yes it integrates with factory hardware but I don't think it is worth $500+, i just put in an android headunit in my fathers tundra, it too supported steering wheel controls and canbus and the cost was $125 for a whole unit with screen.

Last edited by gompka; 01-24-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 10:38 AM
rahimghora
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gompka
I can bet the unit you linked to sits between the stock multimedia and the screen and just intercepts the touches and replaces the video shown on the screen. The steering wheel controls are no big deal to get information from as all of that is now on the canbus and canbus decorders are easily available. The touchpad is most likely just registered as a usb device or something similar. I would be pretty confident trying this as it is basically a stand alone system reusing the factory screen and input and shouldn't affect your hvac, granted it doesn't mention if the onscreen hvac controls will work, but i never use those anyway since we have physical buttons. I would try this if the price was lower, yes it integrates with factory hardware but I don't think it is worth $500+, i just put in an android headunit in my fathers tundra, it too supported steering wheel controls and canbus and the cost was $125 for a whole unit with screen.
Maybe i can find similar products with cheaper prices...