NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

F Sport or Not

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-18, 01:20 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default F Sport or Not

I have a 2017 Base model and have been thinking of getting an F Sport. I'm interested in the newer safety features that I don't have, paddle shifters, but most of all the AVS. I'm just starting my research on the F Sport, so was wondering what impressions have been among forum members who have driven or owned both.
Old 01-28-18, 02:57 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

I test drove both and own an F Sport with AVS...the differences in how they drive are negligible at best and not worth switching for that alone. AVS gets packaged up with other features here in Canada which is why I have AVS.
Old 01-28-18, 05:12 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
I test drove both and own an F Sport with AVS...the differences in how they drive are negligible at best and not worth switching for that alone. AVS gets packaged up with other features here in Canada which is why I have AVS.
Thanks. There are a few new safety features I'm also interested in as well, but that may not be worth the difference in price. I'm disappointed with the halogen high beams, when I had LEDs on my IS250. The auto-dimming feature is nice, as is the pacing cruise control.
Old 01-28-18, 08:06 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

make sure you like the seats in the F Sport

the bolsters are firmer, and for some people (including me), that was a deal killer.
Old 01-28-18, 11:09 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Love the F-Sport seats, handling (my 2017 does not have AVS), triple beam LED headlights, paddle shifters, and most of all, the appearance.

Had a 2016 standard model for seven months, but traded it in for 2017 F-Sport after diving a friend's F-Sport for 10 days....

2018 has even more feature, but my 2017 is so solid, trouble free and fun, I don't want risk moving up to a 2018.
Old 01-29-18, 02:40 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Have an f-sport turbo with AVS and driven many loaner non f-sport NX’s.
In all honesty, cannot tell the difference from eco to sport S+.in the fsport. The suspension is supposed to get significantly tauter. Don’t notice.
There is a big difference, however between the soft suspension and soft seats of a non-fsport compared to a fsport.
Now that I’m used to the fsport the non-fsport feels floaty.
Old 01-29-18, 04:41 AM
nozz3857
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by typocl
make sure you like the seats in the F Sport

the bolsters are firmer, and for some people (including me), that was a deal killer.
Same for us. It's my wife's vehicle. She liked the looks of the F Sport but didn't like the seats. I didn't either.
I think they might be uncomfortable on long drives since they really hold you in and won't let you move around much.
But I also see where they would be nice for someone who wants a more sports car feel. We noticed the F Sport rode firmer as well.
Ride and comfort where the most important things for my wife since she has a 40 mile commute to work everyday.
Old 01-29-18, 06:33 AM
Terpsfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2018 NX F Sport (no AVS), and I love the seats with the circuit red interior. The seats have very nice bolstering, but I am 5'7" and 145lbs, and my wife is 5' 4" and 120lbs so we fit perfectly in them. The aggressive front end (including triple beam headlights), and interior are really what makes the car for me. It drives very nice on smooth roads, and is less harsh than my 2015 GTI over bumps, but not "caddy" smooth. It is a good balance of sport/luxury in my opinion. From what I have been reading, the differences in suspension between AVS and non AVS is De Minimis, but you should test drive both. Hope this helps.

Edit - For those wondering, I drive 70 miles round trip everyday for work, and did a one-time round trip of 200 miles, and so far, after a month of ownership, the seats are very comfortable.

Last edited by Terpsfan; 01-29-18 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 06:42 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

I think people are missing the point...switching for AVS alone is just stupid. All those that are switching within a year or two, what the heck are you thinking? You must be leasing or something? Otherwise you're throwing away thousands of dollars every time you switch! Or do you all just care that the payment number is the same and that's it? Sad.
Old 01-29-18, 07:44 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
I think people are missing the point...switching for AVS alone is just stupid. All those that are switching within a year or two, what the heck are you thinking? You must be leasing or something? Otherwise you're throwing away thousands of dollars every time you switch! Or do you all just care that the payment number is the same and that's it? Sad.
"Stupid" and "sad" are subjective opinions, and each person is entitled to their own. That said, I particularly think that the "sad" comment was unnecessary You have no idea of the circumstances under which different people buy cars.

The same "logic" could be applied to anyone leasing a car. Although this is not the case with me, many people lease a ew car every two or three years. This is probably not the best decision in terms of long-term costs, but is the best decision if one always wants a relatively new car that's always under warranty. In addition, many lease costs are written off. I'm not sure I'd call these people "stupid" or "sad".
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (01-29-18)
Old 01-29-18, 10:07 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by fredw1
"Stupid" and "sad" are subjective opinions, and each person is entitled to their own. That said, I particularly think that the "sad" comment was unnecessary You have no idea of the circumstances under which different people buy cars.

The same "logic" could be applied to anyone leasing a car. Although this is not the case with me, many people lease a ew car every two or three years. This is probably not the best decision in terms of long-term costs, but is the best decision if one always wants a relatively new car that's always under warranty. In addition, many lease costs are written off. I'm not sure I'd call these people "stupid" or "sad".
I stick but my point...swapping a car out in under a year makes NO sense.
Old 01-29-18, 03:33 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 772 Likes on 481 Posts

I love how the exterior of the f-sport looks like. My wife bought a 2018 fully loaded non f-sport. I was a bit bummed because I wanted an f-sport but at the time didn't realize it was zero power increase. When she brought her's home it's very nice inside and out. She has the extended leather trim which you can't get on the f-sport in cream/tan color. For kicks I went and test drove an F-sport NX last week just to see if there was any difference. Honestly I think she made the right choice NOT picking an F-sport. The interior colors to me are not nice at all. And the ride quality was very very similar to what hers feels like. Power wise...welp you guessed it...same. My ideal NX and I've said this before but really don't know why Lexus doesn't make it...

Give me a fully load luxury model that has the front end of the F-sport grill/bumper. Give me the nicer interior option of the luxury NX and not the f-sport.one. That would be ideal. I wish Lexus would actually up the power or at least next model revamp add hp to the F-sport so that there is actually a drive-able difference between the two.

If you are looking up upgrade your NX and feel it's worth it, do it. But if I had the choice between the two I'd pick exactly what my wife picked and not the f-sport because I like her interior way better.

-Nigel
Old 01-29-18, 04:58 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

I appreciate all the input. It's definitely give me a lot to think about.
Old 01-30-18, 07:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

F Sport handles much better which is what i also really like about it.