NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Low fuel range estimate gone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 02:55 PM
pinkoos
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low fuel range estimate gone?

Hi, I have a 2015 NX. After picking it up from it's 25K service, I noticed that I'm no longer given a range estimate once the low fuel indicator comes on. It used to be that the indicator would come on and the range would show anywhere from 25 to 40 miles. Once that was passed, "Low Fuel" just stayed on until I filled up. Now, when the indicator comes on, the range is gone and I just get "Low Fuel."

Is anybody else seeing this?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-18, 07:54 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

In order for fuel range data to be displayed, the vehicle's computer needs first to have accumulated enough data related to fuel economy and based on your driving habits to be able to make a somewhat accurate estimate of how many miles you will be able to drive until the fuel tank is empty.

My confident guess is that, as a part of what the dealer did at the 25,000 service, the computer was re-set, either purposefully or accidentally, and that previously accumulated fuel economy data was deleted.. I'll also guess that it won't be long before enough new fuel economy data is accumulated, and, when that happens, the range data will reappear.
The following users liked this post:
pinkoos (02-01-18)
Old 02-01-18, 07:59 AM
pinkoos
Rookie

That's interesting, thank you for the reply. If the computer was reset, are there any other issues or oddities I may run into? Anything else negative about having the computer reset?

Originally Posted by lesz
In order for fuel range data to be displayed, the vehicle's computer needs first to have accumulated enough data related to fuel economy and based on your driving habits to be able to make a somewhat accurate estimate of how many miles you will be able to drive until the fuel tank is empty.

My confident guess is that, as a part of what the dealer did at the 25,000 service, the computer was re-set, either purposefully or accidentally, and that previously accumulated fuel economy data was deleted.. I'll also guess that it won't be long before enough new fuel economy data is accumulated, and, when that happens, the range data will reappear.
Old 02-01-18, 09:17 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkoos
That's interesting, thank you for the reply. If the computer was reset, are there any other issues or oddities I may run into? Anything else negative about having the computer reset?
Depending on how the computer might have been re-set, there is the potential that you might have to re-do some of your personal settings.

There is a separate setting for the multi-informational display, which includes the fuel range information, to re-set the multi-information display to factory defaults. It could be the case that the technician working on your car accidentally re-set the multi-informational display. If that was the case, I think that would be all that would be affected. On the other hand, if the vehicle's computers were re-set as the result of the battery being disconnected, there would be higher possibility of other things that would be affected, but I can't imagine any reason why, during the 25,000 mile service, they would have disconnected the battery, unless they were working to fix some specific problem that you had asked them to address.
Old 02-02-18, 10:12 AM
pinkoos
Rookie

Okay, thanks for the additional info. So far, I haven't seen any odd behavior. I guess I'll just monitor to see if anything comes up. Once my gas tank gets low, I'll see if the range estimate is back. Thanks again.