NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus 2018 navigation systems and acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 07:08 PM
Jster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus 2018 navigation systems and acceleration

I read several very negative reviews about the 2018 navigation system and the hybrid acceleration. I want to buy either the NX300h or the ES or GS hybrid models. Reviews indicated the nav system was very difficult too use, causes driver distraction, and is frustrating. One the test drive I didn't have enough time to try it out. I'd like opinions on this from current owners. Is it just a learning curve issue, or is it all of the above? Also, when entering a freeway does your NX300h not accelerate well enough to get out into the lanes safely?
Old 02-04-18, 06:17 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

First of all, the opinions on the navigation system vary widely and are very subjective. I find it meets my needs but then I also admit I don’t need it very often in my home area. I personally think the complaints are greatly exaggerated though. Yes, the smartphone apps have more current data and are included with the phone so there is no extra cost, but I will not use my smartphone in the car while driving and appreciate the larger in-dash display. I cannot speak to the car nav’s voice recognition as I just don’t use those features.

As to acceleration, I really think you just need to take one for a test drive because that too is somewhat subjective and depends a great deal on your expectations. I can say that I am easily doing highway speed before I enter the freeway lanes. I don’t even have to push it particularly hard. The complaints about hybrids most likely come from people that don’t own one and don’t understand them. The NX is our fourth hybrid. We also own a Lexus ES hybrid which uses the same drivetrain although the NX adds an electric motor for the rear wheels as ours is AWD. Anyway, even our former Priuses were doing the speed limit upon hitting the traffic lanes on the freeway, although you definitely had to push them a bit to make the speed by the end of the onramp. Where you might see a bigger difference is with passing power on two lane highways. The hybrid doesn’t have as much power at highway speeds and you will need a longer stretch of highway to pass.

Do not buy a hybrid if you are thinking the long term cost will be lower than a conventional car. It is really quite the opposite. When you factor the extra cost at time of purchase and the ultimate cost of the battery replacement (which will most likely occur somewhere between 10 and 14 years) of $4K - $5K, the economics do not work out to be cheaper given today’s fuel prices in the US. There are many other features of the hybrids that I like though, such as the smoother quieter drivetrain. I don’t have any of the vibration at a stop because the gas engine shuts completely off at idle. The electric motors have more instant torque than the gas engine (at low speeds) so they really do well in commuter driving. Anyway, we have really enjoyed our hybrids, but make sure you test drive and compare for yourself, and don’t forget those hidden costs of long term ownership.
Old 02-04-18, 06:51 AM
trailhiker
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used the navigation and features on the 2018 and been happy. The navigation has been accurate and the traffic updates and notification has been helpful. The voice recognition works well. Cool feature that you can speak "find Target in (city name)" and it will find all locations where you spoke. Just select and go. Apparently a new feature to the 2018s. When speaking a long address it has gotten confused a couple of times but otherwise have had no issues. There are 10-15 phrases that you speak when setting up to have the system learn your voice and speech pattern.

I have the 300h and find the acceleration is much improved from the 2017. I immediately noticed it when I test drove the 2018. With the 2017 I felt there was a bit of a lag but have had no lag on the 2018. It is very responsive I have found. Like Ward6096 mentioned you really need to test drive and decide what works for your situation and driving habits.
Old 04-02-18, 10:48 AM
Logante
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 2018 300h, and NAV is awesome. I love it and it works frankly well. About the acceleration in ECO is a bit slow, but It makes sense if you want to save the maximum fuel possible. I'm agreed with that. If you need acceleration , si simple, turn to Sport mode and it's pretty good tho, L