NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What are the most necessary options to buy for 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 03:42 PM
nukezero
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What are the most necessary options to buy for 2018?

Wife and I are looking to pick up at 2018 NX300 this weekend. Non-hybrid. Question to ask is what are the MOST important options or cool toys to have?

Also, I'm guessing AWD is not necessary since 100% of the time it's always going to be in FWD.

I know we're going to get premium package, navigation, power lift gate with the foot thingy. Is there anything else we should consider? Right now, MSRP is around $44k.
Old 02-20-18, 07:44 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Definitely want the blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. I also like the triple beam LED headlights and the Qi charger but that depends on what type of phone you have and how much time you spend in the car. Some of the options are really going to depend on your typical weather. For example, the heated steering wheel and heated seats wouldn’t be much value in warmer climates. This is very subjective, but I think my favorite feature (aside from those you already mentioned) has to be the triple beam headlights - assuming the blind spot monitoring is nearly standard these days.
Old 02-20-18, 11:17 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

Triple beam headlights are a must in my opinion. My wife got them on hers and they look so awesome. Completely changes the look of the NX. Plus they are adaptive in when you turn the steering wheel they also turn. I like that feature a lot. She got the luxury package. In all reality if you can, opt for that. I think my wife paid out the door right around what you are looking at $44k. They initially had it listed for $48k or so and she talked them down about $4400, but got every option available minus the power folding rear seats and the surround camera.... everything else she has on it. Heat/vented seats, nicer interior, leather steering wheel that's heated...etc.

-Nigel
Old 02-21-18, 04:56 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,142 Likes on 739 Posts

Not trying to convince you to change your mind but just wanted to make sure you were aware of the new RDX coming out in May. We were considering trading in our
2015 Lexus RX450h for a 2018 newly design Lexus NXh. So glad we did not pull the trigger since seeing this RDX. No comparison. Lexus has no Android Auto or Apple Play. Has no HUD or panoramic roof. Never liked the front grill on the Lexus SUVs with that large mouth grill. Do not like Lexus's two tone seats or only black dash that shows every piece of lint. RDX has a much better looking modern shifter, medium gray dash, real leather and wood accents and much better mouse pad. Does not have the cheap plastic around each wheel well. The SH AWD is all wheel drive on steroids. If this comes in with the hybrid option around $48,000 it will be a huge success. The MDX hybrid with every option list at $58,000.

Last edited by Freds430; 02-21-18 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-21-18, 07:02 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I’m all for options, but on my car (2016) some of them are poorly implemented. The Qi phone charger for example, is In the console. It I sn’t exactly convenient to access, especially when driving. If your phone needs to be charged, just plug it in. The cord costs $50, and the Qi charger costs more than $200. I’ve never used the charger in my car. Honestly, I didn’t realize it was there, when I bought the car.

Heated seats and steering wheel are really nice on cold mornings. Cold is relative. There have been times when we lived in San Diego, where I thought I would freeze to death at 60 degrees due to the damp air off the ocean. In Colorado, 60 degrees is shorts and sunroof weather. I’m surprised at how much I like the non leather seats in my FSport! No different than the leather, in my opinion. Cheaper and easier to care for, too. Other than that, I’m a sucker for gadgets. Anything automatic works for me. Wipers, headlights, door locks, steering wheel are must haves for me.
Old 02-21-18, 07:47 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nukezero
Wife and I are looking to pick up at 2018 NX300 this weekend. Non-hybrid. Question to ask is what are the MOST important options or cool toys to have?

Also, I'm guessing AWD is not necessary since 100% of the time it's always going to be in FWD.

I know we're going to get premium package, navigation, power lift gate with the foot thingy. Is there anything else we should consider? Right now, MSRP is around $44k.
Options is a personal thing. What I may like and what you like are two separate things. To me, depending where you live will determine all wheel or fwd. That’s an easy one. I would get all the safety features, it’s a package. I like the leather interior, the bigger wheels and heated and ventilated seats. Again, it’s your preference. My 16 is loaded but, that’s what I preferred to do and last but not least is cost. A loaded NX is not cheap. It’s all relative. If you can afford, it get whatever options you want. One way or another loaded or not it is a great compact suv.

Enjoy!
Old 02-23-18, 08:44 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Weathertech floor mats
Old 02-23-18, 10:59 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Not trying to convince you to change your mind but just wanted to make sure you were aware of the new RDX coming out in May. We were considering trading in our
2015 Lexus RX450h for a 2018 newly design Lexus NXh. So glad we did not pull the trigger since seeing this RDX. No comparison. Lexus has no Android Auto or Apple Play. Has no HUD or panoramic roof. Never liked the front grill on the Lexus SUVs with that large mouth grill. Do not like Lexus's two tone seats or only black dash that shows every piece of lint. RDX has a much better looking modern shifter, medium gray dash, real leather and wood accents and much better mouse pad. Does not have the cheap plastic around each wheel well. The SH AWD is all wheel drive on steroids. If this comes in with the hybrid option around $48,000 it will be a huge success. The MDX hybrid with every option list at $58,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vqhDVkAEjk&t=52s

That thing is a beast! I wish Lexus would get rid of the ugly plastic trims everywhere (around the fenders, bottom of doors, etc.) on the NX... Would def. look better.
Old 02-23-18, 04:06 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What about the F Sport?
Old 02-23-18, 10:36 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Eduskator
That thing is a beast! I wish Lexus would get rid of the ugly plastic trims everywhere (around the fenders, bottom of doors, etc.) on the NX... Would def. look better.
Totally agree. I feel there is too much plastic on the interior of the vehicle. The outside I am OK with the black plastic fenders only because my wife's NX is caviar so it blends in and isn't nearly as bad as say it being on a white or silver NX... that being said I DO really like the matched painted JDM fenders that one can swap but their price is expensive...lol

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the interior of the vehicle. I just with like you said the bottom of the doors and especially when you get into the vehicle the plastic around all controls to move the seat weren't that material... it looks so cheap and plain to me when I open the door and greeted by the nice illuminated door sills then look up slightly to see that huge hunk of plastic on the side of the seat base. It's just ugly. Sticks out even more when you have a tan interior as well.

Hopefully they keep revising it and making it nicer. I do like the changes in the center console from the previous years. The definitely made it look nicer, the buttons and layout just seem more polished than before. This is when I actually really like Porsche's philosophy on things where they do not change drastic things (facelift or completely new make over) every two years like every car manufacture does...rather, they continue to polish what they have and make it more elegant/finished as time goes on.

-Nigel