NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Suspension/shocks/road noise??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 07:53 PM
Radtech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension/shocks/road noise??

So I am considering buying a 2018 NX300. This will be the first time that I have owned a luxury vehicle. Ive always owned Toyotas....Just stepping up to the luxury ride. I wanted to know how the suspension feels? Like when going over a rough surface can you feel it? How smooth of a ride is it. Also what about the road noise? My Rav4 seems to be pretty noisy...like I can hear the road. Just wanted some peoples thoughts.

thanks
Old 02-22-18, 06:56 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

well, i bought a 2018 F Sport back in November. And i couldn't be happier.. ride is fine, and i live in crappy eastern pa. so our roads don't get much if any repairs. it rides good with little to no road noise..
Old 02-22-18, 10:24 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Radtech
So I am considering buying a 2018 NX300. This will be the first time that I have owned a luxury vehicle. Ive always owned Toyotas....Just stepping up to the luxury ride. I wanted to know how the suspension feels? Like when going over a rough surface can you feel it? How smooth of a ride is it. Also what about the road noise? My Rav4 seems to be pretty noisy...like I can hear the road. Just wanted some peoples thoughts.

thanks
Test drive both the NX300 and the RX350. The NX should be slightly stiffer riding, the RX should be slightly softer/smoother. I prefer the NX ride and handling. The NX is very quiet, better than the RAV4 we had in 2006.
Old 02-22-18, 06:58 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

The NX isn’t terrible, but it is definitely the noisiest Lexus we have ever owned. It is louder than either former RX and definitely louder than our ES. It is mostly road noise that we are hearing. Keep in mind, everything is relative. We cross shopped against an RDX with Michelin tires and the NX was almost 3 dB quieter on the same stretch of road (based on a very rudimentary iPhone noise meter app). My suspicion is this road noise is somewhat due to the tires but it will be many miles before I can really test that theory. Our NX has the Michelin Primacy tires. This is something you really need to evaluate during a test drive as everyone will have a different opinion based on their past experience and expectations.
Old 02-22-18, 07:55 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 772 Likes on 481 Posts

Agree with Doug above. This is our first Lexus but we have other cars that are a mix between luxury/utility/fun. Mercedes w211, wifes Toyota Solara, my Ranger and STi..etc. The NX does ride somewhat harsher than what I was expecting to be honest from a Lexus. I can say that my wife's Solara rides much smoother than the Lexus. I test drove an F-sport a few weeks back just to compare with my wife's 2018 NX 300 and it handled drove the same. I don't dislike the NX and it isn't harsh say compared to the other vehicles we have. Our w211 even though it did have a sport suspension and I changed to slightly lowered springs it still rides smoother than the NX. I want to say the ride in the NX is "tingy" in a way if that makes any sense. Not as cheap like a Corolla but it's not smooth in terms of very forgiving glide over bumps that I was expecting at this price point. I would actually like to test drive a RX just to see and feel the difference. One thing to note is tire pressure as well. When my wife picked up her NX they had the tire pressure at around 43-45psi. Which made for a VERY harsh/bumpy ride. I was actually really disappointed at the ride initially and thought, wow for this price this feels awful. Adjusted the tire pressure to 32psi and the ride vastly improved.

Mind you the tires on the car now are what it came with and that can also attribute to the road noise and how things feel. Once they are done we'll replace with better Michelins.

Go drive it and then see how ya like it.

-Nigel
Old 02-25-18, 05:48 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

I just test drove the 2018 NX F-Sport. I currently own a 2015 NX and I can noise the difference between the two cars. The 2018 is definitely quieter, a lot less wind noise on highway speeds and the handling is better.
Old 02-25-18, 09:40 AM
MDLex2018
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ride of NX is smooth drive but you definitely will feel the bumps and hear it when passing a pothole. Other than that I love the way my NX300 responds. I would have to agree with Doug as well.