NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Remote start without Enform?...maybe? Pictures attached.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 08:55 AM
Chris442
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesting article and thanks for the info Nigel. Just a quick note...12voltsolutions.com is the wrong address I believe. It looks like it is https://www.12volt.solutions. Can you confirm this is the same site? Also, it seems they don't have solutions except for 2019 and older models. Not sure if this would work for 2020 models.

Regards,
Chris
Old 01-25-21, 03:09 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris442
Very interesting article and thanks for the info Nigel. Just a quick note...12voltsolutions.com is the wrong address I believe. It looks like it is https://www.12volt.solutions. Can you confirm this is the same site? Also, it seems they don't have solutions except for 2019 and older models. Not sure if this would work for 2020 models.

Regards,
Chris
Link is correct and the one I used for my 2016 kit. While I would still reach out to confirm, I can't see it not working on the newer model years, Lexus is the slowest to change key technology.
Old 02-10-21, 03:22 PM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

This is from the lexus/enform web site:

On 2015 and newer Lexus vehicles equipped with Enform Remote1, use your SmartAccess2 key fob to start your engine so your Lexus can warm up in the winter, or cool down in the summer, all before
arriving to your vehicle.
Enjoy this convenience included for 10 years on 2018 and later models (excluding the 2018 GX).

Spoiler

Here's the web page where you can see the details and view the one-page glossy that tells you everything you need to know about this:

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...remote#/keyfob
Old 02-11-21, 06:29 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

I still don't fully understand how some people have remote start and others don't.

IE: My wife's 2018' NX worked for the first year. After Enform was done, the fob no longer worked to remote start the car. So I bought a remote start module that was plug and play from 12voltsolutions and never looked back. It works and she has remote start.

Then on the Facebook group tons of people are saying that their key fob works and they can range anywhere from a 2015+ and up with no active Enform subscription. You have people that have a 2020 that it doesn't work but someone that says they do NOT pay for Enform or any subscription based service can remote start the car with the fob...

From the link above it looks like you still need an active subscription to Enform to remote start the car which makes sense to me but I can't fathom how or why some people have it and others don't....
3. Key fob remote start will not function if Enform services are waived. Lexus Enform Services by Lexus trials are at no extra cost. All trials begin on the original date of purchase or lease of a new vehicle, with the exception of Wi-Fi. After each applicable trial period expires, enrollment in a paid subscription is required in order to continue accessing the respective services. Terms of Use apply. Lexus Enform Services depend on an operative telematics device, a cellular connection, navigation map data, GPS signal strength and other factors outside of Lexus' control, all of which can limit system functionality or availability, including access to response center and emergency support. Service may vary by vehicle and region.
-Nigel
Old 02-11-21, 06:42 AM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Nigel821, I believe the text is VERY confusing.

I find this part very confusing: "equipped with Enform Remote". I take that to mean that your vehicle must be CAPABLE of using this feature, AND you MUST at least sign up for the free trial. My car has it and I am signed up for it.

From all I've read on the Lexus site, "...included for 10 years on 2018 and later..." will apply EVEN AFTER my trial ends (in 3 years).

I do not believe you STILL need have an ACTIVE subscription to Enform to use the fob remote start AFTER the trial period ends. You just need to have HAD it activated from day 1.

In the text you quoted: "Key fob remote start will not function if Enform services are waived", that jives with what I am thinking in that if you waive the services (i.e. the free trial up front), you will NOT get the fob remote start feature.

Interesting how they can control that feature remotely, even though the fob start feature (probably) goes through RF (local communications) and does not use satellite!

Last edited by LexMan2003; 02-11-21 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-12-21, 09:39 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

pretty sure it's just some flag saying "on/off" somewhere that they can toggle. Which for me, is the infuriating thing. All the components for remote start are there, they just need to toggle it on. And I don't see why they don't retroactively enable it on all 2015's as the cell link is going away
Old 02-12-21, 11:19 AM
Krishprabz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
This is from the lexus/enform web site:

On 2015 and newer Lexus vehicles equipped with Enform Remote1, use your SmartAccess2 key fob to start your engine so your Lexus can warm up in the winter, or cool down in the summer, all before
arriving to your vehicle.
Enjoy this convenience included for 10 years on 2018 and later models (excluding the 2018 GX).

Spoiler

Here's the web page where you can see the details and view the one-page glossy that tells you everything you need to know about this:

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...remote#/keyfob
i can confirm these statements are not true or may be Lexus is cheating us.

Mine is a 2018 nx300 premium had the trial enform app enabled and used it for 1 year. During that period I've used the keyfob to remote start many times and it worked fine. The day the trial enform ended or may be after one of the lexus service the keyfob remote start stopped working, till now it never worked.
Old 02-12-21, 03:54 PM
Krishprabz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Krishprabz

Mine is a 2018 nx300 premium had the trial enform app enabled and used it for 1 year. During that period I've used the keyfob to remote start many times and it worked fine. The day the trial enform ended or may be after one of the lexus service the keyfob remote start stopped working, till now it never worked.
Ok it makes sense, they put this note in the bottom.
  • Active trial or subscription to Enform connected service*
Old 02-12-21, 05:24 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Krishprabz

Yep. +2. My wife didn't turn down the free first year. She used the remote start no problem with the fob. Then after the first year was done, I believe I tried one week later and it didn't start. So they are clearly disabling something. I don't understand how some people are claiming they NEVER paid or have a subscription to Enform or it's a lease take over...etc. And they are adamit about the fob starts the car. I just just don't see how. Then you try and tell them and it's like talking ot a brick wall... They think I'm the idiot because I'm not pushing the lock button 3 times on the fob...

That's the whole reason I bought a remote start module. You spend $50k for a Lexus, I shouldn't have to pay a service in order to use the fob to remote start the car when it has ALL the technology already built in, that is 100% capable of doing it. That's the infuriating part.

-Nigel
Old 02-26-21, 01:14 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

On a side note, i paid for enform, and then disconnected the shark fin to disable the cellular/satellite antennas and then canclled enform. The remote start worked with the keyfob for about 3 weeks and then it stopped working. So either, its coded in there to call home to check on subscription and it disables itself if no reply, or there is another way the system is communicating with lexus. I'm guessing its just a timer based call home type deal though.
Old 10-11-22, 01:12 PM
Clouding
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 Lexus NX200. I was told by my dealer, that this was not avaliable on the car and I would have to purchase a 3rd party , if I wanted auto start
He also told me that, 2018 cars are the ones that have the remote start (where you click the fob 3x to remote start ).
Can someone confirm this issue is correct ?

As for disable the 3g in the car. He said , if he physically did that, I would loose other featuers in the car such as bluetooth, etc etc... Which I did not want to loose or do.
Any insight?
Old 10-11-22, 02:00 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clouding
I have a 2015 Lexus NX200. I was told by my dealer, that this was not avaliable on the car and I would have to purchase a 3rd party , if I wanted auto start
He also told me that, 2018 cars are the ones that have the remote start (where you click the fob 3x to remote start ).
Can someone confirm this issue is correct ?

As for disable the 3g in the car. He said , if he physically did that, I would loose other featuers in the car such as bluetooth, etc etc... Which I did not want to loose or do.
Any insight?
The guy that told you that at the dealer is 100% incorrect. Baffles me the bad info that comes from dealer employees.My Wife’s 2015 IS250 and my 2016 RX450h can remote start via key fob 3x. You have to be subscribed to Enform to do it though, which we have been up until now in October when it goes away. Matter of fact, you could buy remote start via key fob as a factory upgrade for a one time fee of like $400 until 2015.
As far as the 2018 models go, they are in no different boat than we are. You are just hearing them whine about it now because their 3 years of free safety connect via Enform is expiring. Safety connect allows you to still use remote start via key fob only. That’s what I was paying the $8 a month for so I could do it. It was the cheapest option to do so.
Old 11-29-22, 06:05 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by typocl
pretty sure it's just some flag saying "on/off" somewhere that they can toggle. Which for me, is the infuriating thing. All the components for remote start are there, they just need to toggle it on. And I don't see why they don't retroactively enable it on all 2015's as the cell link is going away
These are my exact thoughts man! And as simple and precise as you stated it, not many people understand how this remote start extortion with Lexus Enform works. Even people that work for Lexus. It’s even more confusing now that the cell link is gone.
I’m thinking on buying the OEM connector and buying Techstream for the 2 day period and seeing if I can get in to Enform to try and find a software toggle to enable remote start. By OEM connector, I mean the actual licensed one called Mongoose.
I think those who have bought the cheapo $25 hacked version of Techstream with some super cheap cable have different experiences compared to having the real deal. I want to have what the dealer has.
Old 11-29-22, 06:08 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon323
These are my exact thoughts man! And as simple and precise as you stated it, not many people understand how this remote start extortion with Lexus Enform works. Even people that work for Lexus. It’s even more confusing now that the cell link is gone.
I’m thinking on buying the OEM connector and buying Techstream for the 2 day period and seeing if I can get in to Enform to try and find a software toggle to enable remote start. By OEM connector, I mean the actual licensed one called Mongoose.
I think those who have bought the cheapo $25 hacked version of Techstream with some super cheap cable have different experiences compared to having the real deal. I want to have what the dealer has.
Same software and as far as I can tell my $25 cable is just as slow as what the dealer uses. Have been able to do everything except reprogram the ECU. There is no toggle accessible with TIS for remote start. The guys that flash tunes on our cars may be able to figure it out eventually.
Old 11-29-22, 07:30 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gompka
Same software and as far as I can tell my $25 cable is just as slow as what the dealer uses. Have been able to do everything except reprogram the ECU. There is no toggle accessible with TIS for remote start. The guys that flash tunes on our cars may be able to figure it out eventually.
That’s what I mean brother. You can reprogram the ECU as you said. Unless you’ve personally used what the dealer has, how can you be sure you aren’t missing the features that the real deal might provide. I don’t have experience with either yet, so I might be talking out my ***. But I think there’s something to this.

Quick Reply: Remote start without Enform?...maybe? Pictures attached.