NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Remote start without Enform?...maybe? Pictures attached.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 08:19 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon323
That’s what I mean brother. You can reprogram the ECU as you said. Unless you’ve personally used what the dealer has, how can you be sure you aren’t missing the features that the real deal might provide. I don’t have experience with either yet, so I might be talking out my ***. But I think there’s something to this.
The dealer doesn't change the program all they do is load what is provided in TIS, you would need someone to hack the ecu and reprogram it with hacked files. Which is kind of what the performance companies do, I'm not sure they are into the computer enough to take the time to figure out the remote start though and even if they did it would be expensive. Your better off getting a 12volt.com kit or similar and calling it a day, the range on the stock keyfob is mediocre anyway.
Old 11-30-22, 04:11 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

The dealer isn't programming anything to enable remote start. It has to come from Lexus if there is something they are reprogramming and then hand out to the dealers to code something properly... Dealers in their own right really don't know what to do a lot of times other than the "customer enhancement features" that can be changed, which again, if you have a version of techstream and the cable you can do yourself.

I'm running into this with trying to enable the auto fold feature of my retrofitted power folding mirrors in my RCF. No dealer can just "unlock/change" something if they don't have the actual file from Lexus. There is nothing currently in Techstream that enables the use to turn on remote start. I've tried. I also have tried using OEM mongoose cable and OEM Techstream (legit paid). It is no different than what is being pirated with the exception of software version and or cable firmware that might not be able to do key programming or stuff like that.

The fact that it's so inconsistent is annoying. IE: Some folks have a 2016 and remote start has worked from day one for them using their key fob. Others such as my wife's 2018 the key fob ONLY worked while Enform was active via subscription. once done, the key fob no longer worked. This also has applied to people in the RCF groups in FB. There is really no reason why some have always had remote start enabled and not paying for a subscription while others it has only worked via the subscription.

I don't think Lexus cares much to be honest. I 100% agree if you want to use your cell phone to turn on the car, then pay a subscription but by default we should be able to remote start the car with the fob. It's a luxury car. This is the bare minimum, I think. If my sister's Honda fit can do it, why can't a vehicle that is x2+ the cost of it?

One could always go the 12v solution remote start route. They just had a 25% off sale for black Friday. OR, do what I did with my CT since I didn't want to pay $250+ for a remote start like I did with my RCF and wife's NX. Go buy a Directed DB3 module for $70, buy a T-harness for $15-20, then tap 3 wires from the DB3 wiring to the T-harness (directions on the DB3 wiring) and call it a day and have remote start using the OEM keyfob for $100. It's really quite easy to do and you just saved $250 for the exact same thing being sold by everyone else.
Almost all remote starts that are "known" are using the db3 module. You are paying $$$ for the convenience of plug and play from someone else wiring it and wrapping the wire loom in tacka tape making it look OEM.

Added pictures:

For my CT: SAME DB3 unit that is on my wife's NX and RCF that were purchased from 12v solutions. They use the same device.
Also don't let the mass of wires in the middle scare you.. Out of all of them only 3 are used. And the picture below tells you exactly what to tie into depending on the model Lexus...etc.

Three wires to tap on the BMC harness or preferably the T-harness that you get so it's truely plug and play and no wires are spliced at the car level.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 12-01-22 at 06:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JiDoan (12-08-22)
Old 11-30-22, 07:23 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by nigel821
. Go buy a Directed DB3 module for $70, buy a T-harness for $15-20, then tap 3 wires from the DB3 wiring to the T-harness (directions on the DB3 wiring) and call it a day and have remote start using the OEM keyfob for $100. It's really quite easy to do and you just saved $250 for the exact same thing being sold by everyone else.
Almost all remote starts that are "known" are using the db3 module. You are paying $$$ for the convenience of plug and play from someone else wiring it and wrapping the wire loom in tacka tape making it look OEM.

-Nigel
Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-30-22, 01:49 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
The dealer isn't programming anything to enable remote start. It has to come from Lexus if there is something they are reprogramming and then hand out to the dealers to code something properly... Dealers in their own right really don't know what to do a lot of times other than the "customer enhancement features" that can be changed, which again, if you have a version of techstream and the cable you can do yourself.

I'm running into this with trying to enable the auto fold feature of my retrofitted power folding mirrors in my RCF. No dealer can just "unlock/change" something if they don't have the actual file from Lexus. There is nothing currently in Techstream that enables the use to turn on remote start. I've tried. I also have tried using OEM mongoose cable and OEM Techstream (legit paid). It is no different than what is being pirated with the exception of software version and or cable firmware that might not be able to do key programming or stuff like that.

The fact that it's so inconsistent is annoying. IE: Some folks have a 2016 and remote start has worked from day one for them using their key fob. Others such as my wife's 2018 the key fob ONLY worked while Enform was active via subscription. once done, the key fob no longer worked. This also has applied to people in the RCF groups in FB. There is really no reason why some have always had remote start enabled and not paying for a subscription while others it has only worked via the subscription.

I don't think Lexus cares much to be honest. I 100% agree if you want to use your cell phone to turn on the car, then pay a subscription but by default we should be able to remote start the car with the fob. It's a luxury car. This is the bare minimum, I think. If my sister's Honda fit can do it, why can't a vehicle that is x2+ the cost of it?

Always go the 12v solution remote start route. They just had a 25% off sale for black Friday. OR, do what I did with my CT since I didn't want to pay $250+ for a remote start like I did with my RCF and wife's NX. Go buy a Directed DB3 module for $70, buy a T-harness for $15-20, then tap 3 wires from the DB3 wiring to the T-harness (directions on the DB3 wiring) and call it a day and have remote start using the OEM keyfob for $100. It's really quite easy to do and you just saved $250 for the exact same thing being sold by everyone else.

-Nigel
Very well written Nigel, thank you. It’s insanely frustrating, like you said, people rolling a Honda fit with remote start, no subscription, no BS. Yet our luxury vehicles have it, but are being held ransom. Or like in my case, the ransom doesn’t exist anymore from them shutting down the cell service.
I think I’m going to just take your advice and go with the 12V solutions remote starter. It just pains me that my vehicle has the capability but I’m locked out.

Old 11-30-22, 03:29 PM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by Damon323
It just pains me that my vehicle has the capability but I’m locked out.
Yup. Don't get a Tesla, they own you!