NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Remote start without Enform?...maybe? Pictures attached.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 03:33 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts
Arrow Remote start without Enform?...maybe? Pictures attached.

I was playing with TechStream today... under various things that can be configured *by dealer only, if you don't have techstream*, and came across this. See pictures below.

It says Communication Remote Engine Starter = OFF (by default)
Under item description it doesn't give a whole lot of information: "Function to ON/OFF of the Remote Engine Starter.

Now this has me thinking... is this why Enform is used, but in all reality if this is turned on will the key fob remote start the NX? Does anyone know or have anymore information?

My wife has the year free of Enform with Lexus so as of right now I can't test this, however... is anyone in the VA/DC/MD area that would like to try? I will turn the feature on and we can see if the key fob will remote start the vehicle without an Enform subscription. That's key... you can't have an active Enform for remote start I'm guess because then it would start with the fob. My wife's is a 2018, but I'm sure this feature is probably on all the NXs...

Seems possible and hence why the dealers/Lexus state that an Enform subscription is the ONLY way to turn the remote start on which would be true if this value is set to OFF which is the default value presently set leaving the factory.

This might not do anything with the remote start honestly but it would be cool if we could try. I turned the feature on for my wife's NX but iwon't know if that does anything until December 2018...9 more months...lol

Figured I'd post this and if anyone wants to try we can figure out the logistics.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 03-29-18, 07:12 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If you unregister the car from the enform app you can test it yourself and let all of us know. It would be awesome if this would work.
Old 03-29-18, 08:01 PM
nigel821
Racer

How does one unregister the car from enform? And once unregistered can it be added back easily/without cost? I only ask these questions because my wife would be pissed if I delete things and then find out it can't be registered and or have to pay for it when it should be free... hope that makes sense...lol

But I have no problem testing it out just want to figure out how for the above.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 03-29-18, 08:33 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I unregistered my Lexus by going into account settings or maybe there was an option for manage cars? I don't remember how I did it, but it's possible. I'm not sure if unregistering will void the 1 year trial period though.
Old 03-30-18, 07:41 AM
slypx
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting
Quick question : Do you see an option to activate "Album Art" while driving ?
Old 03-30-18, 09:34 PM
nigel821
Racer

I will check tomorrow for you. I can't remember if I saw anything like that. There are many menu options you can change in the car but also displays in Techstream. But many options that can only be changed via techstream.

The roll the windows down while holding down the unlock button on the fob being one of them. That's actually pretty neat feature, but I wish you could roll the windows back up by holding the lock button.

-Nigel
Old 07-17-20, 03:27 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Its been a couple of years now. Were you able to switch on the remote starter? What were the steps in techstream to get r
there? Thx
Old 07-25-20, 03:45 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
Its been a couple of years now. Were you able to switch on the remote starter? What were the steps in techstream to get r
there? Thx

Nope it did not work. After talking with others as well it would not work.

I ended up buying a remote start module plug and play with the NX. Now I don't have to worry about stupid enform or any type of subscription.

I'd have to look but the settings are under customize user parameters. Super easy to get to.

-Nigel
Old 07-25-20, 06:21 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I finally got time to use the techstream and go thru the setting. I found the remote start setting. Mine does not have it installed. I bought a remote start kit, but got frustrated trying to remove the lower dash panels. When it cools down, I will give it another try.
Old 07-25-20, 07:31 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
I finally got time to use the techstream and go thru the setting. I found the remote start setting. Mine does not have it installed. I bought a remote start kit, but got frustrated trying to remove the lower dash panels. When it cools down, I will give it another try.
Use this link to help with removal of the inside panels. Super easy to do after you you go through it once or twice. I think I can remove most of the entire dash from my wife's nx in under 20 minutes. The lower trim piece should take about 5 minutes to do.

-Nigel
Old 01-08-21, 01:38 PM
Damon323
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
I was playing with TechStream today... under various things that can be configured *by dealer only, if you don't have techstream*, and came across this. See pictures below.

It says Communication Remote Engine Starter = OFF (by default)
Under item description it doesn't give a whole lot of information: "Function to ON/OFF of the Remote Engine Starter.

Now this has me thinking... is this why Enform is used, but in all reality if this is turned on will the key fob remote start the NX? Does anyone know or have anymore information?

My wife has the year free of Enform with Lexus so as of right now I can't test this, however... is anyone in the VA/DC/MD area that would like to try? I will turn the feature on and we can see if the key fob will remote start the vehicle without an Enform subscription. That's key... you can't have an active Enform for remote start I'm guess because then it would start with the fob. My wife's is a 2018, but I'm sure this feature is probably on all the NXs...

Seems possible and hence why the dealers/Lexus state that an Enform subscription is the ONLY way to turn the remote start on which would be true if this value is set to OFF which is the default value presently set leaving the factory.

This might not do anything with the remote start honestly but it would be cool if we could try. I turned the feature on for my wife's NX but iwon't know if that does anything until December 2018...9 more months...lol

Figured I'd post this and if anyone wants to try we can figure out the logistics.

Thanks,
-Nigel

Hey Nigel, this write up was very interesting to me! I had to look up what TechStream was. Lol!! How did you come across TechStream by the way?

And also, are you sure when you enabled remote communication to the starter that you weren’t supposed to save it/confirm it on that arrow at the bottom?

I really think you hold the key to bypassing Enform for remote start!! I read in a later post that you just ended up buying a remote start module and are currently using that, but I think you had it with that data tool(TechStream).
Old 01-09-21, 12:10 PM
JNI
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that setting is just to allow third party starters to work.
You still need enform for the key fob to work, however it is any enform service. Since you have a 2018 you should have 10 years of free safety connect.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...1594,1601,1606

Can I start my vehicle using my key fob?
Yes, you can start your vehicle by using your SmartAccess key fob as long as the following conditions* are met
• Vehicle is compatible with Lexus Enform Remote service
• Active trial or paid subscription to Enform Safety Connect, Remote, or Destination Assist
Old 01-09-21, 02:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by JNI
I think that setting is just to allow third party starters to work.
You still need enform for the key fob to work, however it is any enform service. Since you have a 2018 you should have 10 years of free safety connect.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...1594,1601,1606
I believe that the 10 years of free Safety Connect is irrelevant because the remote start (with either the fob or the smart phone app) requires a completely separate paid Remote Start subscription, and there was only one year for that service to be free. If I am mistaken, I'm sure that someone will correct me.
Old 01-16-21, 07:26 AM
JNI
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
I believe that the 10 years of free Safety Connect is irrelevant because the remote start (with either the fob or the smart phone app) requires a completely separate paid Remote Start subscription, and there was only one year for that service to be free. If I am mistaken, I'm sure that someone will correct me.
That's why it says OR

subscription to Enform Safety Connect, Remote, or Destination Assist
It's basically as long as the car still has its internet connection, since when the car came out they did require a remote subscription, but don't anymore. They basically set up their servers to always respond "yes" when the car queries to see if there's a subscription.
Old 01-22-21, 04:43 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by Damon323
Hey Nigel, this write up was very interesting to me! I had to look up what TechStream was. Lol!! How did you come across TechStream by the way?

And also, are you sure when you enabled remote communication to the starter that you weren’t supposed to save it/confirm it on that arrow at the bottom?

I really think you hold the key to bypassing Enform for remote start!! I read in a later post that you just ended up buying a remote start module and are currently using that, but I think you had it with that data tool(TechStream).

Apparently that setting was for older vehicles that did not have enform. I asked several techs and they confirmed that enform is needed to remote start the car with the fob. Clicking that won't work. Yes I did click save and then tried it on my wife's NX. Still a no go.
I ended up buying a remote start module that was 100% plug and play from 12voltsolutions.com. I then ended up installing the same one for a friend as well. Zero issues and it works with the OEM fob. If you want to use your phone you would then use drone mobile or something like that.

I could care less about using my phone to start the car. I think that's silly. Once the free one year is up on my 2020 RCF, I plan on going to the same site above and picking up a remote starter for my car, just like I did with my wife's NX. It's ridiculous for what these cars cost that you can't remote start them by default even though all the hardware is already there. I get paying a subscription for the the mobile app/features, but using the OEM FOB, you should 100% be able to start the freaking car... its' a LEXUS...if a 20k Honda fit can do it without a yearly subscription, why can't a car that cost 2x-4 that not be able to do so from the get go?!

Techstream can be found online or you can get it directly from Toyota via their monthly/yearly subscription. If you plan on working on your vehicle you really should have techstream. It's a must in my opinion. If nothing else you can change user settings that you wouldn't be able to. IE: I programmed both my wife's vehicle and mine so that when you hold the unlock button on the fob the windows and sun roof open up. Changed the amount of times the turn signal flashes when you do the tap to pass feature. If you plan on getting the credit card key, you can then program it without the dealer...etc.

-Nigel

Quick Reply: Remote start without Enform?...maybe? Pictures attached.