NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Wrong car key stuck on car remote

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 12:45 PM
OnVacation
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong car key stuck on car remote

I just had my car serviced and didn’t realize until I got home that the Lexus dealer shoved some other car’s key into my car fob. I tried getting it out but can’t. Has anyone had this happen? Please tell me it’s an easy fix.
Old 04-03-18, 04:35 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

I would just call the dealership and tell them what happened then go to them so they can fix it... If it's not the right key then it does you no good when you actually NEED to use the key if the fob dies.

Nicer counters BTW. We have the same granite pattern/color in our kitchen..lol

-Nigel
Old 04-03-18, 05:58 AM
OnVacation
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! We like our counters - even though some newer homes are going lighter, I still think these work best for high use kitchen.
I spoke to my service guy and going back today. I think I’m more mad at myself that I didn’t notice when I picked up the car. It’s a good 20-25min drive each way without traffic. I’m hoping is a quick fix.
Old 04-03-18, 07:14 AM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

"I tried getting it out but can’t".

I'm guessing that you tried the wrong key on the door to your NX to see if it would unlock? If this is the case, it should not get stuck in the keyhole. Or perhaps I'm missing something. Would you be able to elaborate on what exactly you can't get out?
Old 04-03-18, 07:14 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 888 Likes on 668 Posts

Bet there is someone else with a similar problem...
Old 04-03-18, 07:49 AM
OnVacation
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
"I tried getting it out but can’t".

I'm guessing that you tried the wrong key on the door to your NX to see if it would unlock? If this is the case, it should not get stuck in the keyhole. Or perhaps I'm missing something. Would you be able to elaborate on what exactly you can't get out?
I dropped off the fob without the key. It was returned to me with another car’s key. I can’t separate that key from my car fob. The fob is the correct one as my car starts and everything. It’s just the little key that doesn’t belong there.
Old 04-03-18, 10:25 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by OnVacation

I dropped off the fob without the key. It was returned to me with another car’s key. I can’t separate that key from my car fob. The fob is the correct one as my car starts and everything. It’s just the little key that doesn’t belong there.
I'm a little confused since in the first picture the metal key is already out.

Since you were able to take out your original metal key, so by pressing the lever/toggle on the side of the remote, it won't release that new metal key?

Seems like any key will fit because the metal is rectangular on the outside, it's that little triangle notch in the key that is holding the key in place.

Old 04-03-18, 12:52 PM
OnVacation
Driver School Candidate

Yes, they told me that all those keys are the same size, so even if it didn't belong, they will fit. I tried to press the release lever on the side and it won't budge. Some other car's key is stuck on my car fob. I'm going in a little while to the dealership to get this fixed. Hopefully, it's an easy resolution. We have taken our cars there for several years and this has never happened. Sort of funny, but not really.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I'm a little confused since in the first picture the metal key is already out.

Since you were able to take out your original metal key, so by pressing the lever/toggle on the side of the remote, it won't release that new metal key?

Seems like any key will fit because the metal is rectangular on the outside, it's that little triangle notch in the key that is holding the key in place.

Old 04-03-18, 01:27 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

wonder if you can wind a keyring onto it to let you pull it more.

If you could also pop the cover off, that should let you remove the key. Although the official way to pop the cover is with the key itself.

Something we're all probably wondering...why did you not have the key in the FOB when you dropped it off?
Old 04-04-18, 04:10 PM
CrazyChino
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a crazy thought. It can also be the dealer lost your key while in service and ordered you another one without telling you and came with a new metal key.

Ive worked in a dealer as a tech and situation like that do happen. Lol