NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Apexi Midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 03:33 PM
DLUX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apexi Midpipe

Hoping someone can help here as I'm looking to install the Apexi Midpipe (product link).

I'd like to know if there is a catalytic converter in exhaust part 17420 (exhaust diagram here). I'm looking to replace this with the Apexi Midpipe but do not want to increase pollution into the environment.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DLUX; 04-10-18 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-11-18, 05:49 PM
DLUX
Driver School Candidate

Lexus Service confirmed that there's no cat in the OEM midpipe/resonator. Here's what it sounds like.

Old 04-14-18, 01:17 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You have two cats, neither are in that length of pipe.

I'm hoping that is some kind of audio compression issue or something but from the video your NX has a fast "put-put" train like sound at idle. Was that recorded straight from the phone mic? They often have built in noise cancelling properties. Also am I hearing pops? That's cool, my GFs cooper S does that.

I know the section you replaced is the main muffling part of the system. I have pulled the back two mufflers before and there was very little sound change.
Old 04-16-18, 01:23 PM
DLUX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skyshadow
You have two cats, neither are in that length of pipe.

I'm hoping that is some kind of audio compression issue or something but from the video your NX has a fast "put-put" train like sound at idle. Was that recorded straight from the phone mic? They often have built in noise cancelling properties. Also am I hearing pops? That's cool, my GFs cooper S does that.

I know the section you replaced is the main muffling part of the system. I have pulled the back two mufflers before and there was very little sound change.
Thank you for the cat information.

The YouTube video actually isn't my car but I do like the sound of the car, even though the mic seems distorted during the recording. I just purchased the Apexi Midpipe and will record some videos to share how it sounds inside and outside the cabin. Stay tuned!
Old 05-10-18, 09:24 AM
DLUX
Driver School Candidate

Finally got around to installing this and I think this is one of the best <$500 upgrades you can make to this car. It took me just under an hour start to finish and the car sounds really great, although it's a bit tough to hear inside the cabin due to how well sound insulated it is. There's a noticeable power gain as the Apexi midpipe is a straight pipe that removes a huge stock resonator, lowering back pressure for the turbo. One of my main concerns of removing a resonator was the introduction of drone but as mentioned before, the cabin is so well insulated that you don't hear anything unless you're hitting the higher RPMs. Check out some of my recordings below!

Shout out to Meraki Autoworks (https://www.merakiautoworks.com/) who was able to hook it up in the LA area.

Last edited by DLUX; 05-10-18 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-14-18, 11:14 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Thanks!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-09-19, 09:39 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

yuck, not to **** on anyone's parade but these engines don't sound good at all. The exhaust note is horrid, like an anemic thing that is dying . Now it just sounds like a riced out honda to me. I'm still annoyed Toyota didn't put a 6 cylinder in this vehicle...

-Nigel
The following 2 users liked this post by nigel821:
2017FSport (08-10-19), skyshadow (08-20-19)
Old 08-09-19, 09:41 PM
DLUX
Driver School Candidate

Rice was the goal.
Old 08-10-19, 09:03 PM
Zerg711
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DLUX
Rice was the goal.
No offense but that not my fav exhaust note. There is actually another mid pipe only option with open/close valve option from zees project: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E-KFaY...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-11-19, 05:55 AM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

I actually had an appointment with an exhaust place next week. I have since canceled the appt. Thinking that these 4 cylinder engines can sound anywhere close to good is a joke. No matter what we do, these small 4 bangers will never sound like we hope. We are just throwing money down a deep dark hole. Not worth it in my opinion. to those that have it and like it, congrats. I know to each their own but it just aint for me.
Old 08-11-19, 05:04 PM
Zerg711
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017FSport
I actually had an appointment with an exhaust place next week. I have since canceled the appt. Thinking that these 4 cylinder engines can sound anywhere close to good is a joke. No matter what we do, these small 4 bangers will never sound like we hope. We are just throwing money down a deep dark hole. Not worth it in my opinion. to those that have it and like it, congrats. I know to each their own but it just aint for me.
I was thinking g Apexi but after I heard a couple, I changed my mind. I think the zees project mid pipe with open/close valve option is the only one I’d consider but the shipping cost is outrageous...
Old 08-11-19, 06:58 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

the Zees sounds ok just running and give it a little gas. But put it under a load and I bet it sounds ricey too. To pay any amount of money for exhaust on these cars is just really for looks. I was going to have my guy create something one off for me, like he has done in the past. But I can't bring myself to do it. Kudos to those who want this sound but its not for me.
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (08-13-19)
Old 08-20-19, 11:07 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think another thing that kills the engine note is the variable Atkinson cycle via valve delay. It is very noticeable at idle and sounds "put-put"ish.
I have tried a lot of exhaust changes with little good sounds. The axle-back part will change the sound quality ZERO amounts. Don't waste your money unless you're chasing weight loss. The mid-pipe section does most of the muffling work. If you replace it with just a pipe, you get a very loud and annoying car. You can buy multiple different brand name mid-pipes but they all allow the "put-put" sound to appear. This is mostly at idle, which I would like to be quiet anyways. So, I have also tried an electronically controlled dump valve. This allowed me to be loud only when I wanted but sounded terrible at half-open with a metal on metal vibrating sound. The valve opened slowly so you heard the vibration for a while (10+ seconds). My most recent exhaust mod is a boost controlled dump valve. It makes the car VERY loud because (for me) it dumps right after the first cat (which I don't have). The valve opens quickly so no vibration noises and has a constant spring dampening it. The valve was designed to open at 5psi but that is way too soon. So I have been tuning the number. 12psi has seemed nice. It stays open at full throttle but almost no other time. I think my next add on will be a mini resonator style muffler from Jones attached to the valve.