Taking off clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 08:52 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts
Default Taking off clunk

I have 2015 NX.

Own it for about 1.5 month by today. 23 000 miles.

In about a week of ownership, I noticed a clunk coming from sort of mid shin L leg level, from tire well. Clunk will be present every time I was pulling out of garage in reverse, turning to the L. It will also show itself after car set for a while and during take off. Not felt in steering wheel, so it's not ISS clunk.
Thereafter, NO noises whatsoever. Going over potholes, bumps, turning - very quiet and feels solid.
So I said to myself - who gives, I have over a year bumper to bumper, will let them have it.
Went to local Lexus dealer Monday am. Oh, what a big deal. By appointment only, no loaner unless it's a "very time taking or waiting on parts" deal. Basically, I'd have had second driver tied into this to pick me up and drop me off and so on. I made appointment for today 8am but, paid more attention to that noise yesterday, during 60+ mile drive.
It really sounded to me like as if brake pads were resetting themselves on guides when wheel rotation direction was changed.
So I passed on going to dealer and got it up on my lift this morning instead. Sort of worried as dealer pointed out that windshield was replaced with AM one. Got me scared that car was in accident.

Good news - no signs of any damage underneath.
Not so good news. Found clunk source. R side half shaft, or half axle, or propeller shaft, call it what you want it, If rotated by hand back-fore, it will make clunk in - not sure what. Not sure if it goes directly into transmission differential, or there is intermediate shaft/bearing. Anyhow, it's on the power train end of shaft. Otherwise, it feels rock solid.
L, driver side, shaft does same but MUCH less of it. My wild guess is - they would have told me "it's normal".
Now that I know that there is no damage, I'll keep driving. I'll find out if it's something that they will be willing to warranty or not, then will hand it to them - or not. It does feel like as if it's actually made that way.