NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Oil change time

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 02:58 PM
highvoltag
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil change time

So I have changed oil in every car I have ever owned. Ever 5000 miles with Mobile 1 only. I know that is excessive. I just finished my first oil change on my CPO NX.

I have to tell you all, this was the easiest change I have every done. For one, there was no cover plate to move out of the way. The filter even has a 1/2" socket receiver. I'm not sure what a dealer would charge and the type of oil they use, but I spent a total of $35 and literally 10 minutes.

I hope any info for present and future owners was useful.
The following users liked this post:
LexMan2003 (03-17-21)
Old 04-14-18, 06:41 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

That 3/8" drive is to remove the drain plug, not to remove the entire filter housing. You're supposed to use a flute wrench to remove the entire housing after using the drain plug and the little plastic thingy to drain oil out of the filter housing. Don't count yourself this lucky every time, invest in the flute wrench.
Old 04-14-18, 09:02 PM
highvoltag
Driver School Candidate

Ok , it's a 3/8 drive. Not a 1/2. My mistake. However, I purchased the correct oil filter wrench to remove the filter housing. However, the square hole in the filter housing is definitely to remove the housing. The entire area is metal. If it were plastic, then I would be more cautious.
Old 04-14-18, 09:24 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Nope, it's a drain plug to empty the filter...it is NOT for removing the housing. This is true of most Toyota/Lexus filters of this style. Here's proof (shop manual pages for the NX200t).

Old 04-14-18, 09:24 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Square hole in the filter housing is to remove only the drain cap so that you can drain the oil from the filter before removing the filter housing.

See the video on how https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...and_oil_filter
no1SomeGuy (04-14-18)
Old 04-15-18, 07:27 AM
highvoltag
Driver School Candidate

Crazy. So crazy.
Old 04-15-18, 10:11 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by highvoltag
Crazy. So crazy.
Told ya
Old 04-16-18, 04:51 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Dumb question but why even use a ratchet to remove the bottom bolt on the oil filter... Why not just remove the entire oil filter? In the video it doesn't seem like that much oil came out of the oil filter at all and even after he drained it when he removed the filter he still turned it upside down to remove oil.

I plan on putting a fumoto valve on the oil pan like the rest of our vehicles which makes for a easy/no mess/quick oil change but I think I'd rather just remove the oil filter house as a whole rather than having to remove the lower drain plug, use the plastic piece to empty the oil filter housing, then screw it back, then unscrew the oil filer housing from the vehicle... Just seems like unnecessary added steps in an other wise quick process..

EDIT: Also what is the filter housing wrench/socket that everyone is using? I see several on amazon with some hit/miss reviews. The adapter I used for our w211 is all metal but I have read where some are pot metal and will snap/crack when torqueing back on the vehicle, which people have taken pictures of. I don't mind spending money for the filter socket/wrench tool as long as it's quality. When I was at the Toyota dealer Saturday I saw some on the wall but totally blitzed when thinking it would/would not fit the lexus.. Should have asked the parts dude but I forgot. Would the OEM Toyota oil filter housing tool work?

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 04-16-18 at 04:54 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 06:00 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Yes, should be the same size as the Toyota tool. I can check what size mine is when I'm home but think it's the 64mm 14 flute.

It's a little messy to remove the entire filter housing first, then you spend a bunch of time cleaning it.
Old 04-16-18, 07:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

This is the tool i used on my 200t: https://amzn.to/2vph638 $10
And I used this oil: https://amzn.to/2qBcuBv
and of course a Toyota oil filter: https://amzn.to/2qCA94t

Worked perfectly. (same exact engine on nx200t, just turned sideways) I did not know that the FIRST 3/8" drive hole did not remove the filter. I thought it was a one and done type deal. Did not know there's another layer after that. I think next time I'll just wear gloves and forget the drain plug.

Not bad but I still prefer BMW oil changes. The filter is right on top of the engine facing up. So combined with an oil extractor, you can do a white glove oil change without getting your hands dirty or without having to lift the car.
Old 04-17-18, 06:14 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts
Arrow

Nice. Looks good. I found this one and saw that Toyota actually makes a metal filter housing.. I think it's for a 2.5L engine but would be nice if I could find one for a 2.0 to replace the plastic one.

-Nigel
Old 04-17-18, 08:52 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

highvoltag, did you need to jack the car up? i didnt have to on my rx but have not done this one yet..
Old 04-17-18, 10:28 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexus114
highvoltag, did you need to jack the car up? i didnt have to on my rx but have not done this one yet..
Assuming you weigh under 200lbs you should be able to do it...the filter and drain plug are fairly close to the front, but it's tight.
lexus114 (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 12:12 PM
d8168055
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
That 3/8" drive is to remove the drain plug, not to remove the entire filter housing. You're supposed to use a flute wrench to remove the entire housing after using the drain plug and the little plastic thingy to drain oil out of the filter housing. Don't count yourself this lucky every time, invest in the flute wrench.
I've never gotten the drain plug to separate from the filter housing.. when I turn it the drain plug, the whole housing turns with it. What is the secret?

EDIT: Regardless of what we are "supposed to do" its just easier to remove the whole housing and drain the oil from the filter. There isnt much oil in there anyways..

Last edited by d8168055; 04-17-18 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-17-18, 01:50 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by d8168055
I've never gotten the drain plug to separate from the filter housing.. when I turn it the drain plug, the whole housing turns with it. What is the secret?

EDIT: Regardless of what we are "supposed to do" its just easier to remove the whole housing and drain the oil from the filter. There isnt much oil in there anyways..
I've tried a few ways, usually if I hold the main filter housing with my hand and give it a shot with my cordless 3/8" impact it will come out. If not, then I use a set of filter pliers to hold the housing and do it that way. A LOT of people are abusing the 3/8" plug and not using it as intended so people tend to tighten the entire housing with it when reinstalling...in actual fact, the torque spec on the plug is very low (a lot less than the housing) so it should technically loosen long before the housing, but not when it's over tightened in the first place.

There isn't that much, bit it is a little messier in my experience.

Quick Reply: Oil change time