NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Have the rain sensor but not the option.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 07:58 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Have the rain sensor but not the option.

Noticed the module on my windshield just to the left of the Lane departure camera (when looking from inside).
Wondered what the heck this is. It was relatively easy to disconnect, wrote down the p/n 113890-0031, it’s a rain sensor!
Problem is, my wiper control arm doesn’t show this as an option. My new 2018 NX300 awd is the base model (for Canada).
hmmmm... I guess another question for the dealer at the 1600km courtesy service appointment.
Old 06-17-18, 08:14 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Does it have to show? Auto wipers work simply when wiper stalk is moved one click down from neutral. I really doubt Toyota will place sensor without any need for it. Toyota is KNOWN to be very lean manufacturing and that's waste.
Old 06-17-18, 03:05 PM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Does it have to show? Auto wipers work simply when wiper stalk is moved one click down from neutral. I really doubt Toyota will place sensor without any need for it. Toyota is KNOWN to be very lean manufacturing and that's waste.
So I went out to test this function, but one click down(intermittent) works as expected, ie, nice sunny day, wipers still working.
I even poured some water on the windshield to see if the frequency changed, nope, work s like a regular intermittent wiper system.
It absolutely seems like a waste to attach a perfectly good rain sensor onto a vehicle that isn’t set up to use it.
It’s not like it ever was an option, we ordered the base NX300 model, the only options available were just your typical dealer add on accessories like BSM, hitch, door sill lights, etc.

Last edited by Roscol; 06-17-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-18-18, 05:37 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

If you have the rain sensor can you not purchase the replacement stalk? I would imagine it's all plug in. Then use TechStream to enable rain sensing wipers. I remember when I was looking through techsteam you could enable/disable the rain sensing wipers. But who knows... might be more to it than that. I'm sure others can chime in.

-Nigel
Old 06-18-18, 06:31 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nigel821
If you have the rain sensor can you not purchase the replacement stalk? I would imagine it's all plug in. Then use TechStream to enable rain sensing wipers. I remember when I was looking through techsteam you could enable/disable the rain sensing wipers. But who knows... might be more to it than that. I'm sure others can chime in.

-Nigel
That does make sense. Physically, the wiper stalks look identical except for the word “Auto”.
Might just be a techstream programming thing. I wonder if rain sensing is turned off (on those vehicles with it) does the system default to regular intermittent function?
Old 06-18-18, 07:08 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Discovered some hints in another post, so it lead me to the owners manual, and presto,. Here’s the answer.
Humidity sensor, which is used when using Auto climate mode.
Old 06-18-18, 03:15 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Oh. Different animal though looka like. It sure does look like wipers sensor. Just on the opposite side, mine is on the R hand side.
thanks for sharing.
Old 06-19-18, 07:21 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Oh. Different animal though looka like. It sure does look like wipers sensor. Just on the opposite side, mine is on the R hand side.
thanks for sharing.
This is the rain sensor, just on the opposite side and used for a different purpose other than the auto wiper.
The Part# I discovered on it shows online that it’s used over several Toyota and Lexus models for the rain sensing wipers.

But, you would think that if they were installing at the factory for either the Auto Climate or Auto Wiper function (or both), why not just include both functions full time?
Old 06-19-18, 11:15 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

That's cute. yeah, I see how it can be used for in car humidity sensing. Fog build up on the windshield will trip it just like rain droplets on the outside.
Old 10-31-19, 01:05 PM
cpyue
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Roscol

Noticed the module on my windshield just to the left of the Lane departure camera (when looking from inside).
Wondered what the heck this is. It was relatively easy to disconnect, wrote down the p/n 113890-0031, it’s a rain sensor!
Problem is, my wiper control arm doesn’t show this as an option. My new 2018 NX300 awd is the base model (for Canada).
hmmmm... I guess another question for the dealer at the 1600km courtesy service appointment.
I just picked up my 2020 NX300. When I first deal with the salesperson, she confirmed that my NX300 comes with Rain Sensor Wiper. One week after I picked up the vehicle, then found the Rain Sensor Wiper is not working. Back to the salesperson, she said my trim has no Rain Sensor Wiper which I should knew at the beginning. Jesus,... car salesperson. I need rain sensor wiper, so now I am looking for an after market one unless Lexus can install one (but they said they cannot).

I checked my NX300 which has the Rain Sensor attachment compartment on the windshield (cannot see what is inside), but the wiper control arm doesn't mark rain senor choice. Anyone know how to make it work ? I will to pay a reasonable cost!
Old 11-01-19, 06:49 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had rain-sensing wipers on my 2008 IS, and they were terrible.Never again will I buy a car with them. They moved when there was no rain, and often didn't move when it was raining. They never operated at the correct speed, always faster or slower than what I would have chosen if I'f had intermittent wipers.
Old 11-01-19, 09:34 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by fredw1
I had rain-sensing wipers on my 2008 IS, and they were terrible.Never again will I buy a car with them. They moved when there was no rain, and often didn't move when it was raining. They never operated at the correct speed, always faster or slower than what I would have chosen if I'f had intermittent wipers.
Sorry to hear that. We have really liked them on our RX and ES vehicles. The older 2004 RX was a bit quirky, going off randomly and you couldn’t adjust the sensitivity, but the newer a Lexus cars have had much better rain sensing wipers. We wish we could have them on our NX but they were only available as part of the Luxury package in 2016.