NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Side Viewing Mirror Shaking/Vibrate

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 08:06 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Side Viewing Mirror Shaking/Vibrate

Have the 2018 NX F Sport here and I just recently found out the side viewing mirror shakes a lot during freeway drive, and as well as local too but not too bad. I wonder if anyone also experience this as well? It feel like internal loose, since from outside, it seems tight and not lose at all when I touch it.

Thanks for checking!
The following 2 users liked this post by zkl2003:
jsymaco (10-30-21), ttsport15 (06-08-20)
Old 06-20-18, 09:42 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine doesn’t. The glass on most outside mirrors are attached at 3 spots. It’s possible that yours is only snapped into 2 of those spots. If you pull gently on the sides, is there any give?
Old 06-20-18, 11:12 AM
zkl2003
Driver

Originally Posted by olgzr
Mine doesn’t. The glass on most outside mirrors are attached at 3 spots. It’s possible that yours is only snapped into 2 of those spots. If you pull gently on the sides, is there any give?
Ohh that is good advise! Yeah I can try it when I get home, I do think it is internal loose. but last time i just touch it lightly and feel pretty stable. I am thinking to take to dealership too if the problem is not solved. Thanks again
Old 06-20-18, 08:11 PM
Mjs61084
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2017 does this! I have mentioned it to the service department every time I go in for service. They won’t fix it.

It was also happening on a 2018 RX that I had as a loaner. It gets worse the hotter it gets. Tends to go away in the cold. Annoys the crap out of me.
Old 06-21-18, 06:22 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

Yep just stated this to my wife. The driver side mirror vibrates. It's annoying AF. Passenger side fine. This is a 2018 NX.

-Nigel
Old 06-22-18, 02:25 PM
manuelun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1

same problem with mine, just pickup the car last week, very annoying!
Old 06-27-18, 10:02 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Originally Posted by Mjs61084
My 2017 does this! I have mentioned it to the service department every time I go in for service. They won’t fix it.

It was also happening on a 2018 RX that I had as a loaner. It gets worse the hotter it gets. Tends to go away in the cold. Annoys the crap out of me.
My friend works at service and he is able to take care of it. however sadly there is nothing wrong with the mirror after then open up, and everything is tight up. It is just so so weird, which I am not sure what to do anymore either. I do want to replace the whole mirror, but that won't be covered unless i pay off my pocket. Hopefully Lexus will do something but yeah I am sorta getting use to it now of the shake
The following users liked this post:
jsymaco (10-30-21)
Old 06-27-18, 10:03 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Originally Posted by manuelun
+1

same problem with mine, just pickup the car last week, very annoying!
I know how you feel! I had car less than a month too. and my last NX doesn't do this at all, which I am sure of it. They text drive another NX and it does shake too as I was in the back seat. I guess it is just some batch doing this, but the weird part is the mirror is tight and not loose at all when you touch it by hand. Maybe just an unknown error out there. Hope they do something with it if enough people complain about it
Old 06-28-18, 04:53 AM
NX2018
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@zkl2003 I have the NX 2018 F SPORT, do not have that issue. However when the mirrors fold in when doors are locked the motors sound like they need to be lubricated with WD40 same with the power tailgate.
Old 06-28-18, 09:21 AM
Jus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zkl2003
I know how you feel! I had car less than a month too. and my last NX doesn't do this at all, which I am sure of it. They text drive another NX and it does shake too as I was in the back seat. I guess it is just some batch doing this, but the weird part is the mirror is tight and not loose at all when you touch it by hand. Maybe just an unknown error out there. Hope they do something with it if enough people complain about it
I am experiencing the same issue and it is super annoying. I think it has something to do with auto-dimming mirrors. I took it to my dealer and they just say that it’s firm and cannot get any firmer. I had a loaner NX without auto dimming and blind spot and the mirror looked fine. When I tried to reach my arm out and hand-push the mirror down while riding on rough roads it seemed to be better. I am guessing the pivot point in the housing may be defective on auto dimming driver side mirror. Let’s hope Lexus will issue a TSB or something and take responsibility to fix it 🤞.
Old 06-28-18, 04:31 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Originally Posted by NX2018
@zkl2003 I have the NX 2018 F SPORT, do not have that issue. However when the mirrors fold in when doors are locked the motors sound like they need to be lubricated with WD40 same with the power tailgate.
That is good to know and I also thought the same that not every NX has it. but just hope it can get their attention. My mirrors fold in too, but it is super smooth and i don't have the motors sounds. but maybe it will have later on when it is not new
Old 06-28-18, 04:33 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Originally Posted by Jus

I am experiencing the same issue and it is super annoying. I think it has something to do with auto-dimming mirrors. I took it to my dealer and they just say that it’s firm and cannot get any firmer. I had a loaner NX without auto dimming and blind spot and the mirror looked fine. When I tried to reach my arm out and hand-push the mirror down while riding on rough roads it seemed to be better. I am guessing the pivot point in the housing may be defective on auto dimming driver side mirror. Let’s hope Lexus will issue a TSB or something and take responsibility to fix it 🤞.
Wow, you know exactly I am talking about and yes that is what I am trying to say to dealership. They did a good job with testing it and just can't find a problem. That is one very possible reason for it, my loaner NX doesn't have that issue too, and it does shake if road is not good, but overall it is not as bad. Also my 15 NX doesn't have that issue either. I think if more people reporting this, maybe there will be fix for us.
Old 04-29-19, 02:53 PM
SteveNX200
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I just got a 2015 NX200t on Saturday. We noticed the mirror shaking during the test drive and were told to bring it back today(Monday) to get it fixed. Well my wife took it and they told her it was going to be $1500 to replace some spring in the housing. Has anyone else found a solution to this issue yet? It's not a huge deal to me, but it's her every day driver and she's pretty upset about it. It seems to me that it is a somewhat common issue, but happy wife happy life situation is making me want to get this fixed as quickly as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-29-19, 03:07 PM
zkl2003
Driver

Default Following up

Originally Posted by SteveNX200
Wife and I just got a 2015 NX200t on Saturday. We noticed the mirror shaking during the test drive and were told to bring it back today(Monday) to get it fixed. Well, my wife took it and they told her it was going to be $1500 to replace some spring in the housing. Has anyone else found a solution to this issue yet? It's not a huge deal to me, but it's her everyday driver and she's pretty upset about it. It seems to me that it is a somewhat common issue, but happy wife happy life situation is making me want to get this fixed as quickly as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear about that! So It is almost one year since I post this. And I can confirm the shake still there. But I don't care as much and it is not too bad after awhile. The first couple of months when I got the new car was the worst since I notice a lot and that makes me look at it very often where it bothers me. My advice is just forget it about it and times will make you get used to it. I have driven a few loaners from the dealership, I think for sure not all NX has that problem, but some still has it but just not as bad. I don' think it worth 1500 just fix that shake unless dealership is willing to double check or put something to tighten it up. Hope this helps
Old 04-30-19, 08:03 AM
CDNX
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up my 2015 NX early this year and thought it was just my car that had this issue with driver side mirror until I saw this post.
Mine vibrates but more so annoyed by the excessive wind noise during my commute.
The mirror housing feels cheap and loosely mounted.
This is my first Lexus and quite surprised this is even an issue.
Wow

Quick Reply: Side Viewing Mirror Shaking/Vibrate