NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Seat Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19 | 01:18 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Sounds to me like you don't have the seat adjusted right. A lot of people do terrible things for their seating, either too high or too low, too much lean back, etc.
Old 03-31-19 | 03:02 PM
aaLexus11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your feedback, no1SomeGuy. I wish the solution was that easy! I've experimented a ton with the seat adjustment to try to make it comfortable. I find that the seat, itself, is too soft on the horizontal part near the back and too soft on the vertical part near the bottom. It doesn't provide sufficient support for the back of my butt and my lower spine. And, as I mentioned, the lumbar support is too high and has no vertical adjustment.

I encourage any potential buyers to test drive for a reasonably long period of time to ensure the seat is comfortable for them. Unfortunately, it isn't comfortable for me.
Old 03-31-19 | 04:47 PM
Torii
Intermediate

from someone who is 6'4 255lbs I found the seats very good for xcountry trips of 8hrs a day in passenger seat. my severe back problems to include sciatica and 3 ruptured discs did ok. ofc I was on painkillers and such as I always am...but the fsport seats were better than avg for me in passenger seat.
Old 04-02-19 | 12:15 PM
csmcvay
Driver School Candidate

I ended up trading in my IS 250 because the seats were unbelievably uncomfortable. Like you I didn't notice it at first, it crept up on me after a few weeks and then the pain begun. I deal with terrible back and hip pain anyways so by the end of the drive from work at the end of the day (20 miles) I was in tears. I would adjust the seats every way you can, plus bought an expensive memory foam cushion and it didn't help at all. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and for the first time in my driving life, traded it in a year later (ouch, costly for sure) for a 2015 RX 350 (larger SUV) that has wide, flat unbelievably comfortable seats (I'm 5'7" btw). Of course I did lots of research on various SUVs/different dealers but went with the 350. I actually had one as a loaner for 10 days which helped me to make up my mind (I cried when I had to give it back lol). I know it is an older model but at least it doesn't have those terrible bucket seats (worse invention ever!!) and is like riding on your living room couch . I actually look forward to driving it because it is so comfortable and don't care if I ever sit in or drive a car with bucket seats again in my life. I wish you the best of luck, I know exactly where you are coming from.
Old 08-21-19 | 01:31 PM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Torii
from someone who is 6'4 255lbs I found the seats very good for xcountry trips of 8hrs a day in passenger seat. my severe back problems to include sciatica and 3 ruptured discs did ok. ofc I was on painkillers and such as I always am...but the fsport seats were better than avg for me in passenger seat.
Since you mentioned back problem (however on constant pain killer). I'd like to point out something that has not been brought up in this forum:driving with bucket seat can cause such pain, if not properly seated:
https://www.joint-pain-solutions.com...-syndrome.html

I drove my former 09 Santa Fe for 8 years, never have such "pain in the butt", only a few months with the 2016 NX on long distance, I started having this pain. As explained in the above-mentioned article, the bucket seat presets the condition for the knees higher than thigh position, as opposed to parallel to the car floor, which could be the cause of piriformis (?).

I adjusted the driver seat just now to fix this, will report back in time if this works.

Meanwhile, there is another article worth reading for those concerned:
https://corewalking.com/driving-tips...rmis-syndrome/
Old 10-05-19 | 07:55 PM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

I finally found a solution for this "pain in the butt" sitting on NX bucket seat: an Obusforme seat cushion (model st-blk-cbb) and thus figure out why/what causes such pain! I now realize the NX bucket seat is relatively softer than other car seats I have experience with! E.g. driving my wife 06 Camry cloth seat, it is firm and I am very comfortable! It is kind of ironic for the luxurious NX that softer bucket creates such pain!

As explained in the Contoured Seat Cushion, "the sitting bones support 75% of the body weight... the seat cushion effectively supports this weight and prevents the sitting bones from sinking into soft chairs and car seats"!

I felt comfortable right away with the inside hard plastic at the bottom, cushion on top of this pad. I was looking for something similar, like a 1/4" hard neoprene to try out, then by chance found this Obusforme at a drug store and decided to try it out. It works for me!

Hope this helps others having the same problem!
Old 10-07-19 | 03:18 AM
Rpickoff
Driver

Originally Posted by csmcvay
Good afternoon - I currently have a 2014 IS250 and the bucket seats are killing my back. Already have significant back pain and of course they are making it worse. Sadly I didn't feel this level of pain when test driving, etc. I've only had the car a year. So now I've decided to pay it off early and get rid of it (trade it in) asap. I love the car but just can't deal with the horrid seats any longer. Long story short, how are the seats in the NX? Very comfortable - recommend for someone with back problems? I know I want an SUV, just trying to make up my mind. Of course, everyone is different but this is somewhere to start. Thanks very much.
I am a fellow back pain sufferer. The seats on the NX are amazingly comfortable to me. I once had to get rid of a new Prius for the same reason.
The following users liked this post:
GlenK (10-08-19)
Old 10-07-19 | 07:46 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Default A $50 solution?

Originally Posted by aaLexus11
I bought a new 2019 NX300 in end of February, 2019. This is my first Lexus - after having owned/driven a BMW X3 for 6+ years. The driver's seat is absolutely killing my back! So much, in fact, that after 4500 miles - I've decided to sell the new Lexus and get a different car (probably back to BMW). It seems that the NX300 seats are simply not designed for my body type/shape. (I'm 5' 11' - weight 140 lbs - and am in good physical shape. I don't have general aches and pains - and work out regularly).

The general problem, I think, is that the seat bottom is too soft near the back - and the lumbar support is too high (does not have vertical adjustment).

This is truly disappointing - and costly for me too. But, I spend a lot of time in my car - and can't drive a car that gives me constant back pain.

I test-drove the car for 30 minutes or so - and didn't really notice. It was only after I started driving consistently and for longer periods of time that I noticed this issue.

So - my recommendation is to test drive for an extended period of time! Drive for 1 hour or more!

As an aside - I also find that I need to drive with the center console cover open - as the height of the arm/elbow rest is way to high - and does not allow my right arm to naturally hang / rest while holding the steering wheel. This is also contributing to my desire to sell this car!
2016 NX is my first Lexus ever (we still have a 06 Camry 3.0L and been very happy with the firm cushion cloth seat, driver & passenger). I am generally fit, 5'6" 130 lbs, no back pain, no butt pain whatsover driving other cars, SUVs, until after having the '16 NX for a few months.. At first the F-sport driver bucket seat seemed fine, until I drove long distance, round trip 1000 km or so. Now, even daily commute is uncomfortable, left side upper thigh feels pain, minor pain but really not normal, not the joy I used to have when first take possession of this NX Fsport.

I looked up Amazon, local drug stores, Walmart ...etc for some seat cushions, read reviews etc however did not order (also skeptical that the cushion just add space to the seat -reducing headroom), until last weekend, happened to be in a drug store selling that Obusforme Contoured seat cushion. As I learned from the store I can bring it back within 30 days with receipt, I decided to give it a try. Low and behold, the pain when sitting down in the bucket seat disappeared, during the weekend and today's commuting to work, I found joy driving again!

Reading the description of the cushion seat on how it works, it points out the car seats (bucket or not) can be too soft to support the sitting bones, which makes sense when I drive the good old 06 Camry standard cloth (driver) firm seat, I have absolutely no pain sitting! To remedy the problem, it has 3 connected segments with polycarbonate (hard plastic) frames, and polyurethane (foam) on top, covered by cloth. I think the hard plastic frame works against the soft bucket foam seat, and widen the area of sitting so that the weight is distributed over a wider area, prevent the butts from sinking into the soft foam of the F-Sport seats!

I actually came close to decide to sell the NX, as driving was no longer fun. Even if you don't like Trump I want to paraphrase his line, "this seat cushion makes me proud of my NX AGAIN" !
Old 10-07-19 | 01:43 PM
gulshan
Driver

Originally Posted by 16fsport2
until last weekend, happened to be in a drug store selling that Obusforme Contoured seat cushion.
Please post amazon link. I want to try for my other Honda crv which has bad seats. No issues with NX since i have base non F sport NX. i see a couple on amazon so not sure which exactly you got. Thanks
Old 10-07-19 | 02:13 PM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gulshan
Please post amazon link. I want to try for my other Honda crv which has bad seats. No issues with NX since i have base non F sport NX. i see a couple on amazon so not sure which exactly you got. Thanks
No problems here it is:
https://www.amazon.ca/Obusforme-ST-BLK-CA-Seat-Black/dp/B000FJS6KC/ref=sr_1_11?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8j3M9bAYRmsF0RSPtO67lagRarAF59pNv9qJShnPJ_k9QLXR7aBJnxoCw24QAvD_BwE&hvadid=208341427163&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000672&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17401588463954498672&hvtargid=aud-748745956976%3Akwd-309291468463&hydadcr=27204_9609744&keywords=obusforme+lumbar+support&qid=1570482692&sr=8-11 https://www.amazon.ca/Obusforme-ST-BLK-CA-Seat-Black/dp/B000FJS6KC/ref=sr_1_11?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOvsBRAjEiwAuY7L8j3M9bAYRmsF0RSPtO67lagRarAF59pNv9qJShnPJ_k9QLXR7aBJnxoCw24QAvD_BwE&hvadid=208341427163&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000672&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17401588463954498672&hvtargid=aud-748745956976%3Akwd-309291468463&hydadcr=27204_9609744&keywords=obusforme+lumbar+support&qid=1570482692&sr=8-11

After a couple days of trial of this solution (cushion seat), I am less "adamant" it is a perfect solution. I seem to miss something from the normal seat without this added pad: it is not as comfy as the "bare" seat!, meaning it fixed one problem but seems to introduce another...

So, try it out with the option to return it. I am now looking into re-upholster by a local company, see if the can add/replace higher density foam, and whether it still works with the seat warmer feature of the NX in cold winter days ...

Last edited by 16fsport2; 10-08-19 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Edited to add YMMV - Not a perfect solution
Old 11-20-19 | 03:52 PM
Susanz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
I drove my NX200t for 5+ hours straight (till first gas stop) without any issues and the seat was perfect. NX F-sport seats were not as comfy for me, though, when I tested the car. But, as ukrkoz said, you must try to make your mind, everybody butt cut differently.
Sport seats will almost always be less comfortable because they are tighter and have the bolsters on the side. I've had alot of problems with cars because of this and learned the very hard way.
Old 12-27-19 | 06:57 PM
Susanz
Driver School Candidate

Just the sight of the Fsport seats give me a backache. I really love the NX 300 but every time I sit in it, my back starts to hurt so I guess I won't be getting that perfectly sized car. The RX is really too big for me and UX too small.
Old 12-27-19 | 06:58 PM
Susanz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 16fsport2
I finally found a solution for this "pain in the butt" sitting on NX bucket seat: an Obusforme seat cushion (model st-blk-cbb) and thus figure out why/what causes such pain! I now realize the NX bucket seat is relatively softer than other car seats I have experience with! E.g. driving my wife 06 Camry cloth seat, it is firm and I am very comfortable! It is kind of ironic for the luxurious NX that softer bucket creates such pain!

As explained in the Contoured Seat Cushion, "the sitting bones support 75% of the body weight... the seat cushion effectively supports this weight and prevents the sitting bones from sinking into soft chairs and car seats"!

I felt comfortable right away with the inside hard plastic at the bottom, cushion on top of this pad. I was looking for something similar, like a 1/4" hard neoprene to try out, then by chance found this Obusforme at a drug store and decided to try it out. It works for me!

Hope this helps others having the same problem!
I will definitely keep this information handy. Thanks!
Old 12-29-19 | 07:38 AM
jonnyyaa
Driver

FWIW I was set to buy a new 2017 nx fsport but after 1 hour in the seat I had back pain. im 6 foot 180lb with scoliosis. This made me buy the nx executive model (non Fsport) as the seats are comfortable for me.
The following users liked this post:
Susanz (12-29-19)
Old 12-29-19 | 02:01 PM
Susanz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonnyyaa
FWIW I was set to buy a new 2017 nx fsport but after 1 hour in the seat I had back pain. im 6 foot 180lb with scoliosis. This made me buy the nx executive model (non Fsport) as the seats are comfortable for me.
You are lucky! The regular NX doesn't work for me. I went back again yesterday to see if maybe it was just a matter of adjustments. I sat in the drivers seat and couldn't get comfortable, then my back started. I looked around at other vehicles and went back to it 15 minutes later. There was a woman sitting in the drivers seat so I sat in the passengers seat. After about 20 seconds she looked at me and said that she thought the seat was weird and uncomfortable.

In the parking lot, I saw a sport NX that someone owned and he has some sort of custom or otherwise made full cushion with cover on the drivers seat which seemed to negate the entire shape of the initial seat. I would love to know where he got that!

Quick Reply: Seat Comfort