NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Rear Brakes (Pads and Rotors)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 03:59 PM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brakes (Pads and Rotors)

Hey guys! Haven't been here in awhile. So, just curious about brake lifespans on your NX to see if it compares to mine. I'm at 70,000 km and my rear pads / rotors are pretty much done. I obtained price for replacements through dealership, but considering aftermarket options assuming I can find good quality replacements. Dealer pads (OEM) are $114 and set of rear rotors are $239. Any particular brands / models I should explore that will last the salt and climate in the great white north (Easter Canada)? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-18, 06:12 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

i usually stick with oem but buy online instead of at the dealer for a big savings. why change the rotors, they should last much longer than 70k km.
Old 10-03-18, 06:19 AM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

The rust on the rotors is actually bad enough that it's causing some noise on braking and I figure if I'm going to replace the pads I'd rather put on a new rotor with a smooth surface to prevent any bad wear on the pads or even risk the rotor being warped somewhat to affect the performance of the pads. I actually managed to find a new type of rotor that has some anti-rust coating which I'm going to try. If it helps, great! OEM didn't last me very long (which is surprising) ....
Old 10-03-18, 06:24 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

i haven't ever had success with any coatings, they work for a little while, but once they are worn away the chicago salt makes everything rust. i would find it highly unlikely that your rear rotors are warped but its your money
Old 10-03-18, 03:22 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I am with Sponge Bob. Why rotors? Presuming, car is parked outside, otherwise, why would they rust?
Rust makes brake noise only at the take off, then it gets rubbed off with 1st few brakings.
But it's your car and wallet, you do as you please.
I buy Best Brake ceramics for out Lexi. They are somewhere around $50 lifetime per axle.
Whatever you do, if you get new rotors and pads, IMMEDIATELY bed in rotors.
Rear pads are going fast on Toyotas, for some reason. My then Camry hybrid - 54 000 miles. Wife's RX350 - 61 000 miles and I am next to replacing them. I had them done on my Highlander Hybrid also, somewhere around 50-60 000 miles.
To be honest, GM has about the longest lasting pads. They run well into over 100 000 miles.
Old 10-04-18, 03:40 PM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I am with Sponge Bob. Why rotors? Presuming, car is parked outside, otherwise, why would they rust?
Rust makes brake noise only at the take off, then it gets rubbed off with 1st few brakings.
Car only gets left outside during the day, and actually, garage humidity in the winter is actually what causes the most rust on vehicles.... you're better off leaving it in the colder weather outside if it's full of salt to hinder rusting process. Not sure what to tell you about the rotors.... the rust is forming on the outer edge and because I only have about 1/8 left on the pads I don't know if it's rubbing against the caliper or pad to make the rubbing noise when brakes aren't engaged, unless the caliper would be sticking, but not sure that's the case or not. The rotors are just costing me an extra $140 so may as well do the whole thing. Not overly convinced about the anti-rust coating, but I'll likely be getting rid of the vehicle next spring anyway so will no longer be my problem
Old 10-04-18, 03:48 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

It's fine. Sounds like you have a plan. What you are experiencing is lack of brake maintenance. No one cared to lubricate caliper slide pins, resulting in premature pads wear. They should be lubricated at least once a year. It's not a sticky caliper, it's caliper that does not move on pins as it should.
Old 10-04-18, 03:50 PM
DBCOM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
It's fine. Sounds like you have a plan. What you are experiencing is lack of brake maintenance. No one cared to lubricate caliper slide pins, resulting in premature pads wear. They should be lubricated at least once a year. It's not a sticky caliper, it's caliper that does not move on pins as it should.
Thanks for the input! Appreciate it