NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

safe wax for NX

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 02:11 PM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default safe wax for NX

I have been reading about the self-repairing clear coat on the NX. It appears that this paint is going to be a bit tricky as far as wax is concerned.
Can anyone tell me if MEGUIAR'S ULTIMATE LIQUID WAX G18216 is safe to use on this paint?
Thanks in advance,
Jay
Old 10-30-18, 02:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Yes, the Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax is fine. I use it myself. Actually, with the self-healing paint, just about any wax is okay. What you have to be careful about is not using abrasive polishes too aggressively when trying to remove surface scratches. If you are too aggressive, you can rub through the self-healing clear coat more easily than with a traditional clear coat, and, if you do that, the only fix is refinishing. So, I've made a practice of using only very mildly abrasive polishes on the car's finish.

My experience has been that the self-healing paint does actually heal things like polishing swirls and very fine, minor surface scratches. The healing won't happen immediately, but, over a period of several weeks polishing swirls and very minor surface scratches will gradually disappear. You can speed up the healing process by repeatedly soaking a microfiber cloth in warm water and running that cloth over the area with swirls/scratches while the car is sitting in the sun.

Note also, though, that if a scratch penetrates past the self-healing clear coat, just like with a traditional clear coat, it is not going heal itself, and you won't be able to polish it out.
Old 07-08-19, 01:06 PM
Jahna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WD-40 on self healing coat?

Originally Posted by lesz
Yes, the Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax is fine. I use it myself. Actually, with the self-healing paint, just about any wax is okay. What you have to be careful about is not using abrasive polishes too aggressively when trying to remove surface scratches. If you are too aggressive, you can rub through the self-healing clear coat more easily than with a traditional clear coat, and, if you do that, the only fix is refinishing. So, I've made a practice of using only very mildly abrasive polishes on the car's finish.

My experience has been that the self-healing paint does actually heal things like polishing swirls and very fine, minor surface scratches. The healing won't happen immediately, but, over a period of several weeks polishing swirls and very minor surface scratches will gradually disappear. You can speed up the healing process by repeatedly soaking a microfiber cloth in warm water and running that cloth over the area with swirls/scratches while the car is sitting in the sun.

Note also, though, that if a scratch penetrates past the self-healing clear coat, just like with a traditional clear coat, it is not going heal itself, and you won't be able to polish it out.

Can you use WD-40 on this type of coating?