NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Test drove a 2016 NX

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 07:32 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Test drove a 2016 NX

Hello, I'm looking for a bigger vehicle to replace my '12 Infiniti G37x. Today I test drove a 2015 GS350 and a 2016 NX. The NX had quite a few options. Luxury package, LED headlights, pre-collision, BDM, cross traffic, parking assist and 18" wheels.

I liked the way it drove. Not a big fan of the touchpad but it's better than . What's with the removable mirror by the gear selector?

I didn't go to the dealer, this is from a local used car business who specializes in low mileage vehicles. I've bought several cars from them. The NX was listed for $33,800. I'm not in the negotiation phase yet but they generally don't move on price and make up for it with generous trade-ins.

Anything in particular I should watch out for on the '16 NX?
Old 11-18-18, 05:15 AM
McM61
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The luxury package is rare. Most of them dont even have that option and the ones i have seen were the hybrid models, I have a 2016 NX200t. Bought it new. My wife loves it. The only thing she wish it had was the rain sensing wipers (which is part of the luxury package). The removable mirror is a women thing from what I have heard this SUV is designed by a women. No other complaints It has been on outstanding SUV.
Old 11-18-18, 06:28 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

I concur with McM61. The luxury package is not very common. It added $4800 to the cost in 2016 and it added leather seating surfaces and rain sensing wipers. It also ran the price up higher than most people would want to pay for a vehicle of this size. For example. Our 2016 hybrid had an MSRP at just over 49K. Add $4800 to that and you can see what I mean.

Anyway, back to your question, is there anything particular that you need to watch out for, I can’t think of any particular common, recurring thing you should be watching for - in any model year really. Like any vehicle, there have been some issues reported here, but nothing I can recall that is a particularly recurring theme. I think there is a big disappointment in the rubber seal on back side of the rear passenger doors. They are designed to capture and hold muck thrown up by the rear wheels - and very difficult to clean. I would inspect that area carefully to make sure no rust is growing. Beyond that, there has been the typical rattle here or there, but nothing I am aware of that is common to the model. We have enjoyed our 2016 and we are coming up on three years in February.

I would suggest you check/search the fuel consumption threads if that is one of your concerns. Some people are disappointed with the mileage they are getting from the turbo motor. In my humble opinion that has a great deal to do with driving style, but many owners have downsized from a V-6 SUV and were expecting better mileage. We downsized from a Lexus RX for example. Our hybrid returned 34.5 at the last fill-up (with mostly city driving) so we are getting pretty much what we expected.

Overall it it has been a good vehicle and we have no real complaints. I think most people that have been dissatisfied may have not been prepared for the compact interior, were expecting a more refined/quieter ride or expecting sportier handling. For our needs and expectations, I can wholeheartedly recommend the NX.

Good luck with your decision and negotiations.
Old 11-18-18, 07:10 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info. Very helpful. I actually thought it was a lot more sporty than I had assumed it would be. The luxury feel wasn’t quite up to par with the GS but it was very close.
Old 11-18-18, 07:12 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Bigger in what manner? NX is not a large car. It sacrificed a lot of inner space to "sporty" appearance outside. So when you say bigger - bigger what? Cargo area? Driver comfort zone? Passenger capacity? Don't fall for pretty toys and looks. You buy a car, it's getting married to it for long time. Toys become routine very fast, but then reality of this and that starts showing itself. If you need a family vehicle, NX is not one. There's also long thread since 2015 right here, on what owners discovered about NX. You better read it.
Old 11-18-18, 07:13 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...od-or-bad.html
Old 11-18-18, 07:21 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

My wife has a Highlander for the family stuff and long road trips. I occasionally take the kids to school/events and the G37 is too tight in the back. And the car seats don’t fit right due to the design of the back seating area.
Old 11-18-18, 01:39 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

And the car seats don’t fit right due to the design of the back seating area.

Which car you referring to? Highlander or G37?

Well, at least now you see what I am referring to. Bigger what? Bigger cargo area? New RDX.
Sportier car? New RDX
Family hauler? Highlander.
You will have quite afew posters following, telling you that they fit fine this and that. Right. I had Highlander limited and I KNOW, what fits and what does not. And I KNOW what lots of cargo space means. I had 12 ft board inside of mine. Kid you not.
So you need to make decision - do I need toys I'll get used to fast or I need comfort, utility, safety, etc. As NX is - a small car, really. I ride alone 99% of my time and carry no large items, so it does Ok. But it's Ok, nothing else. It's cute, sure. Sort of like owning a young good looking filly. But that's about it. For me. Others will drool over some hi tech feature and for them, that's the deal breaker. I am pragmatic.
It's your call. Arrange long term test drive. LONG term. Short test drives usually end in disastrous purchases.
Old 11-18-18, 01:50 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

The G37 rear seating area is no good for car seats. My wife drives the Highlander and will be keeping it for awhile.

The G37 has been fun but it’s time for something a little more practical. I haven’t driven an RDX yet but now that the new model is out the last gen looks really dull. Buying a new one for over $40k is out of the question.

I’ve made no final decisions at this point but the NX is a contender.
Old 11-24-18, 09:54 PM
jelco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We picked up a 16 Nx a few weeks ago, been very happy with it so far. The vehicle has a very sporty feel and was a perfect size for my wife. She wanted a small suv/crossover and it fit the mold perfectly.
Old 11-25-18, 11:01 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been driving my 2017 for about 18 months, and like it a lot. Mine has the Luxury Package, but no nav, and the only safety features are the back-up and blind-spot warnings.
Old 11-25-18, 11:25 PM
Grahaminat
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I just purchased a 2017 NX200T. Here are a few pros & cons after driving it for a couple of days;

Pros:
1. The ride is PHENOMINAL! I've never been in a vehicle that glides down the road like this.
2. The "Hold" button is a nice feature. Press it and next time you're stopped at a light waiting for an eternity, the brake remains engaged. You can take your foot off the brake, take your shoes off, scratch your feet...sorry for the image. LOL
3. The door handles illuminate as you approach the vehicle. VERY nice in a dark area or at night.
4. Streaming music from my phone via Bluetooth displays an image of the album art on the display - nice touch.

Cons:
1. Spring for the Navigation. The Scout GPS Link is HORRENDOUS!!!!! There's a 3.5 mile stretch from my house to get on the freeway. Literally all I have to do is drive straight. In that 3.5 miles, Scout GPS Link had me (1) turn left at the next light (2) turn right at the next light (3) make a U-turn when possible. Then when I got on the freeway, it actually told me, "When possible, make a U-turn." I had to pull the car over and turn the $&(*#& thing OFF!
2. Also, I thought I could simply just use the "Connected Navi" feature and connect the Waze app from my phone. Oh no. You HAVE to use Scout GPS Link if you're going to use the "Connected Navi" feature.
3. It takes FOREVER to access text messages from my phone. A notification appears on screen with a message asking if I'd like the message read. I then need to select that yes, I'd like the message read via Bluetooth. From the time the message notification appears to when it's actually read has taken approximately 3 minutes. No joke. My last car just displayed a notification on the screen that I'd received a text message & I could press to hear it. It's played INSTANTLY.
4. Selecting the "Voice activation" button doesn't seem to play music from my phone - at least not right away. I had to pull my phone from my pocket, launch the phones music player, select a song and THEN the music would play. That's REAL safe, especially at 65 mph! For some reason, the music app HAS to be launched before the voice recognition works. I have pressed the Voice activation button and stated "Stream Bluetooth" only to have the system state, "The USB device is not connected." Huh?? I'm not using the USB connection, I'm using Bluetooth. I'm mentioning this because in my 2013 Ford as long as I was connected to Bluetooth, all I had to do was select the voice activation button, say, "Play Bluetooth" and the music would play.
5. Setting the analog clock required I do a Google search. It's nowhere in the Setup of the system. Instead, there's two tiny buttons next to the clock - one to advance the time and another to decrease the time.

I think Lexus places more emphases on the smoothness of the ride and the reliability of the vehicle instead of things like technology. Unfortunately, my FIVE year old Ford Escape does a far superior job at handling the tech side of things. This is important because we're all using tech more and more in our vehicles and it's important to be safe while doing so. We rely on that technology (i.e. Navigation, having a text message read to us so we're not tempted to pull out our phone, etc.) so Lexus needs to up their game on the technology side.
Old 11-26-18, 04:23 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Well,,,
The ride is phenomenal on phenomenal roads. Yes, indeed, it's a great glider for smooth roads. Not around here. On crappy roads it feels too light, not rigid, too bumpy. To the point that I - call me stupid - actually stopped using it as my commuter. I drive 05 RAM now. Yep. Truck does not care, I don't care. Both happy. To the tune of 13.5 mpg, of course but, piece of mind is invaluable.
HOLD button. Does not need to be held or pressed going uphill. Car has gyro sensor that tells ABS module to hold it on the slope, after you stopped and held brake for a short time. Now it knows, you want to STAY there.
Same E-brake has unfortunate feature to it. You can't DIY rear brake pads. It needs techstream to do so, as bolted on E brake unit needs to be placed in some special mode. There is alleged walkaround it, but I am yet to see someone try it and report here.
Old 11-26-18, 09:01 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Should have never bought the F Sport the look is great but the ride suxs. Never drove the regular NX. The luxury package would have been great.
Old 11-27-18, 08:30 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
You can't DIY rear brake pads. It needs techstream to do so, as bolted on E brake unit needs to be placed in some special mode. There is alleged walkaround it, but I am yet to see someone try it and report here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...0t-brakes.html

Try this thread, posts 3 and 6 have ways around the need for techstream.

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2016 NX