NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 09:43 AM
JBruton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension

I know one of the things about the NX almost everyone likes is the sporty suspension. Initially I liked the ride, but after a month of ownership I知 starting to feel like the stuff ride is a bit harsh. My daily drivers have always been very floaty like a town car. I知 not expecting anything like that but after researching I haven稚 been able to find any replacement springs that seem like it would help achieve a smoother ride. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-19, 10:44 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Softer wall tires. Usually, touring grade. Yes, it's harsh. Also, if you do not care about mpg, toss about 250lb ballast into trunk or where rear fotwell is. Softens ride quite well. I actually KNOW what I am talking about.
Old 01-23-19, 01:19 PM
JBruton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Softer wall tires. Usually, touring grade. Yes, it's harsh. Also, if you do not care about mpg, toss about 250lb ballast into trunk or where rear fotwell is. Softens ride quite well. I actually KNOW what I am talking about.

I can see how the added weight would help with the ride but I don稚 know if I壇 want to keep something back there just to add weight. The dogs are already a bit cramped back there when they池e with us.
Mad far as tires I知 going to need to replace them in a few thousand miles regardless. What would you suggest? Currently have the OEM Yokohama痴 on it. Maybe Michelin defenders or pirelli p7?
Old 01-23-19, 03:20 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

P7 is good tire and comfy ride. I had P7-s on two cars and liked them a lot.
Old 01-24-19, 10:47 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I have Yokos myself and love them. LOVE. Best tires ever.
I'd suggest to talk to tire shop. They know their tires. Then, turn around and either find them used on craigslist, deals are unbelievable or, buy online.
I drove several cars with ballasted - my weight - opposite driver corner. you'll be surprised, how little space well thought 250lb can be. Also, you have rather large void in the trunk tire well. If you remove that large Styrofoam chunk. Bags filled with led pellets are VERY heavy. But, if you load suspension, comfort seriously improves. Put another 200lb person behind/opposite you and drive around. If you noticed difference, it is worth exploring. Also, helps with cornering, as it squats car down. Race cars are ballasted.
Back to tires. Unfortunately, you can't know, if softer wall touring tire will suite you - until you actually do it. $$$. Ballasting car - you know results right away.
Just saying. I ballasted my CR-V, Silverado, Ridgeline, Camry, every time with the same result. Softer, more stable ride.
Old 01-24-19, 04:51 PM
chii888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I知 also curious here. Have an F Sport and been thinking if I can put non F Sport springs for better comfort.
Old 01-25-19, 08:20 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JBruton
I know one of the things about the NX almost everyone likes is the sporty suspension. Initially I liked the ride, but after a month of ownership I知 starting to feel like the stuff ride is a bit harsh. My daily drivers have always been very floaty like a town car. I知 not expecting anything like that but after researching I haven稚 been able to find any replacement springs that seem like it would help achieve a smoother ride. Any suggestions?
Since you only had it for a month, have you checked the tire pressures? Many times when my one of my Lexus's have come back from a dealership, tire pressures have been all over the place, and when corrected, ride improved.
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (01-25-19)
Old 01-26-19, 11:33 AM
DYMZ007
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob67
Since you only had it for a month, have you checked the tire pressures? Many times when my one of my Lexus's have come back from a dealership, tire pressures have been all over the place, and when corrected, ride improved.
Agreed. My tire pressure was set at 40psi when I picked it up from the dealership. I recommend 32-35psi, I'm running 32psi at the moment so they heat up to about 35psi when driving and the ride quality doesn't feel compromised in any way