NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

8AR engine internals look

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-19, 12:56 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Our engine does not run both DI and PI at all times. In fact, the most I could get out of Toyota was that the Port Injection is engaged when low load and during "cleaning cycles". They would never say the exact time or parameters for when DI or PI or both were used, stating proprietory information.
I was more interested in the fact that the lack of fuel on the valve to cool it helps to create even more carbon.
Based on the data below, it looks like port injection is used at loads <10%, either >20% and <40%, and direct >40%. It looks like direct injection mode remains a while after high loads sometimes as well even after the load drops.

Old 03-17-19, 11:54 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

^ I ****ing love raw data!! This is awesome. Where did you get this from?
Old 03-17-19, 12:07 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

^ I ****ing love raw data!! This is awesome. Where did you get this from?
Same

I got it straight from the Techstream engine data list function.
I just got my hands on Techstream recently and have been playing around with it a lot.
Old 04-20-19, 10:35 PM
nan88
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I would love to see this. Did he post a thread on it?

You have a catch can linked to all the breathing ports or just the PCV? Or the two on the front pipe? I would love pics.
Been away from CL more than I would like.
But just the PCV for now, have not had time to add the others.
My thread I started on OCCs (only have OCC on point 1):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...catch-can.html

pnoygil had OCCs on his IS200t was totaled.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-tune-220.html

Originally Posted by pnoygil

Collected 1/2 oz oil/water... PCV Valve to intake manifold

Collected 1/2 oz oil/water ... Only did one hose from the valve cover since the other one I didn’t see any sigh of oil inside the hose

Update:
Catch can set up better get one asap, for just having it one week in my car it has already have 1/2 once oil/water in the catch can... forgot to take pictures when I cleaned it but i took some pictures how i put on...
Old 08-31-19, 11:51 AM
DiverseIS
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Since this was all taken apart. For the intercooler where does the coolant flow? Is there a heat exchanger front mount to cool the coolant back down or does if flow straight from the intercooler back to the reservoir tank?

Edit: Nevermind I'm pretty sure it uses the engine radiator which is dumb if so. I know you can purchase front mount heat exchangers to flow the intercooler coolant that way. Also, here is a cool website that has diagrams for the 8AR
https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/16...engine_eng.htm

Last edited by DiverseIS; 08-31-19 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-31-19, 12:15 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The coolant system for charge cooler is a separate circuit with its own radiator. The engine coolant radiator, HVAC exchange radiator and intercooler radiator are all at the front of the car.
The following users liked this post:
DiverseIS (08-31-19)
Old 08-31-19, 12:26 PM
DiverseIS
Driver

Originally Posted by gompka
The coolant system for charge cooler is a separate circuit with its own radiator. The engine coolant radiator, HVAC exchange radiator and intercooler radiator are all at the front of the car.
Do we think that it is insufficient for cooling down the intake intercooler?
Old 08-31-19, 12:36 PM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by DiverseIS
Do we think that it is insufficient for cooling down the intake intercooler?
Why would we think that? I have towed 1800 lbs in the mountains at 12% incline and did not see any heat issues. Most manufacturers are now moving to air to water charge coolers.
Old 08-31-19, 01:41 PM
DiverseIS
Driver

Originally Posted by gompka
Why would we think that? I have towed 1800 lbs in the mountains at 12% incline and did not see any heat issues. Most manufacturers are now moving to air to water charge coolers.
Heatskoke issues for track purposes. I have an IS200t and I know there are larger heat exchangers. I was mainly just curious if it would help IAT's.
Old 09-02-19, 04:03 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

IAT's get pretty high when you start pushing the motor. Last time was I at the track the radiator was heat soaking the intake air quite a bit. My water meth system would bring it back down about 50 degrees but it would still be hot
Old 09-05-19, 01:37 PM
gompka
Racer

IAT's get pretty high when you start pushing the motor. Last time was I at the track the radiator was heat soaking the intake air quite a bit. My water meth system would bring it back down about 50 degrees but it would still be hot
I doubt most people track their nx's, i would call that an extreme use case. I tow about 1800lbs with mine pretty often and the iats do not seem out of line with a turbo car. I actually think the nx feels better off the line with the extra load from the trailer lol.
Old 09-06-19, 07:54 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

I don't think saying "that's extreme usage so invalid" gets the NX off the hook. We can all agree (hopefully) that the turbo on this car is undersized. It is undersized for stock usage. If you want to see how small your turbo is, watch your PSI numbers next time you take the engine to redline. They will drop as you pass 4800-5000rpms. They drop all the way down to 12psi. That is not programming, that is an engine asking for more air then the turbo can supply. An overworked turbo creates large amounts of heat. Pair that with a undersized water to air intercooler and you will eventually get heat soak on the cooling system. I have reached heat soak from 2 quarter mile pulls at the track. That is not extreme usage, that's like getting on the highway from a stop twice. This is why water/meth injection was my very first mod and also a big reason I have not bought the OV tune. Why buy a tune that will turn up boost on a turbo that is maxed out at factory specs.
Old 09-06-19, 08:00 AM
gompka
Racer

I don't think saying "that's extreme usage so invalid" gets the NX off the hook. We can all agree (hopefully) that the turbo on this car is undersized. It is undersized for stock usage. If you want to see how small your turbo is, watch your PSI numbers next time you take the engine to redline. They will drop as you pass 4800-5000rpms. They drop all the way down to 12psi. That is not programming, that is an engine asking for more air then the turbo can supply. An overworked turbo creates large amounts of heat. Pair that with a undersized water to air intercooler and you will eventually get heat soak on the cooling system. I have reached heat soak from 2 quarter mile pulls at the track. That is not extreme usage, that's like getting on the highway from a stop twice. This is why water/meth injection was my very first mod and also a big reason I have not bought the OV tune. Why buy a tune that will turn up boost on a turbo that is maxed out at factory specs.
I don't think its undersized at all, there is a reason Toyota/Lexus is usually very conservative with their engines and power ratings, they are built to last. I have had built turbo cars etc in the past and they are nice and you can go and increase intercooler sizes and turbo sizes etc, but everything you do is going to decrease reliability or add to the cost. In my case the car is perfectly adequate for the designed usage and I will take increased reliability over a little more power any day, for everything else there is a beater.
Old 09-06-19, 10:01 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

You're drinking the Koolaid so nothing I say, even though it's fact, not opinion, will matter.
Old 09-06-19, 10:17 AM
gompka
Racer

You're drinking the Koolaid so nothing I say, even though it's fact, not opinion, will matter.
I believe you, but for the majority of people on here, so what if IATS are a bit high? Most of us using the car to get from point A to point B will not notice or be affected by that. I'm sure Toyota had their reasons for doing what they did, cost/efficiency is where i would put my money. I just never think of the nx as a fast or performance car, nor do i think that was its design purpose and I don't think i would spend a lot of money trying to "fix" the issues. For example a 335i or ford taurus can get huge gains with just a little bit of tuning, not something worthwhile in the nx to get a bit more power when the turbo will sputter out anyway.

Quick Reply: 8AR engine internals look