NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2019 NX do you love it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 10:02 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the 2019 NX I saw (Premium + Navi) was a good deal... taking a $7k hit with only 100 miles due to Buyer return, I must say after test driving the newly designed 2019 RDX, I will not consider the NX anymore.

Both cars brand new are about the same price, but the RDX packs so much more:
  • Feels much more spacious right off the bat when you get into the driver seat, same spacious feeling in the back.
  • Apple Car Play (standard on all 2019 RDX)
  • Panoramic Roof
  • Very spacious trunk
  • Lots of storage
  • It's got this screen thing on the dash board (you cant see the actual screen unless you super perk up) that reflects your driving speed on the glass so you never have to look down.
  • 360 camera that works with the car going forward or backing up. This will resolve any scrapping the bumper concerns.
  • Rear Heated Seats
  • Rear USB charging ports for passengers
Basically it's got all the good things that an NX has but so much more. The things that the RDX have does not matter to me... for example you have to manually adjust the steering wheel if you need to, and the back seats does not recline like the NX back seats can. But you cant recline the back seats in an sedan ES either so it's basically status quo for me.

Anyone test drove the 2019 RDX? What do you think compared to the NX?
Old 02-25-19, 10:03 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ross7777
I have the parking assist option and it’s very helpful.
I have parking assist too but the area of scrapping I'm talking about is so low that its not detectable by parking assist.
Old 02-25-19, 10:19 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I test drove the RDX A-Spec twice and nearly bought it.

Three main reasons I didn’t buy it:
#1. Cost. No deals in my area. No discounts or incentives. The lease rate (money factor) is horrible on the RDX. It’s double the NX. The NX also has $2,500 in lease cash.
#2. Too new. I never buy the first year of a complete redesign.
#3. The A-spec is loud. It has fake piped in engine noise that cannot be turned off. My wife really hated it.

My fully loaded Fsport was cheaper than RDX A-spec.

I may take another look at the RDX if they offer the A-Spec look with the Advance trim.

I‘d head over to the Acura forum and ask there. I know they had some issues with the infotainment system, brakes and transmission.
Old 02-25-19, 10:22 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the RDX A-Spec twice and nearly bought it.

Three main reasons I didn’t buy it:
#1. Cost. No deals in my area. No discounts or incentives. The lease rate (money factor) is horrible on the RDX. It’s double the NX. The NX also has $2,500 in lease cash.
#2. Too new. I never buy the first year of a complete redesign.
#3. The A-spec is loud. It has fake piped in engine noise that cannot be turned off. My wife really hated it.

My fully loaded Fsport was cheaper than RDX A-spec.

I may take another look at the RDX if they offer the A-Spec look with the Advance trim.

I‘d head over to the Acura forum and ask there. I know they had some issues with the infotainment system, brakes and transmission.
That's great you compared the two! Does your NX have Apple Car Play?

Also what is A-Spec? For Acura I just know they have Base model, Technology package, and Advance package.
Old 02-25-19, 10:34 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oops
That's great you compared the two! Does your NX have Apple Car Play?

Also what is A-Spec? For Acura I just know they have Base model, Technology package, and Advance package.
Mine does not have Carplay. 2019 models built after Oct 2018 have it. It’s rumored Lexus will be updating all 2018/2019 models this summer.

A-Spec comes in after the Tech Package. It’s mostly looks but it also adds cooled seats and upgraded stereo I think.
Old 02-25-19, 10:44 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

You must have test driven the RDX Advance? Surprised it would be priced similarly. Isn’t it $48K msrp?
Old 02-25-19, 10:52 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

You must have test driven the RDX Advance? Surprised it would be priced similarly. Isn’t it $48K msrp?
The NX brand new, Premium with Navi is $45K MSRP

The RDX Advance is $48K MSRP but they gave me a $1K discount because I previously purchased an Acura from them that would bring it down to $47K, so $2K more than the NX but the RDX pack so much more.

Old 02-25-19, 10:59 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

The RDX Advance is $48K MSRP but they gave me a $1K discount because I previously purchased an Acura from them that would bring it down to $47K, so $2K more than the NX but the RDX pack so much more.
I thought you were looking at a $38k model with 100 miles?

Assume even at $45k new you won’t be paying full price. You’ll likely get a decent discount along with incentives.

They are only offering you $1k off the RDX?

But if you like the RDX that much more then go for it. Only you can decide in the end.
Old 02-25-19, 11:14 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I would pass on 2019 RDX for now. It has Honda 2.0L turbo engine. I was told this engine is based on current 1.5L turbo that is known for major issue with fuel diluting engine oil, etc. Honda acknowledged the problem but is not offering a remedy at this time. Go on Acurazine or Honda enthusiasts forums and do some reading.
Alternatively, you can find 2017-2018 RDX CPO and this is good car.
Old 02-25-19, 11:26 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

I thought you were looking at a $38k model with 100 miles?

Assume even at $45k new you won’t be paying full price. You’ll likely get a decent discount along with incentives.

They are only offering you $1k off the RDX?

But if you like the RDX that much more then go for it. Only you can decide in the end.
yes, the NX I am looking at is $38K, it was $45K before taking the depreciation hit. Now that its a used car with 100 miles, there's not much wiggle room for the price. Even though its now at $38K it's still a $45K car and it should offer more tech like its competitor car?

The sales for RDX printed me a quick quote and I saw the $1K discount, we didnt go in depth so I'm not sure how much more discount I could have gotten. They said they are offering discounts to people who trade in their 2009 and up Lexus, Acuras and other cars in the same class.

Like you and the others, I do have reservation on buying first year models. Probably not a smart move if I'm not in need of a car RIGHT NOW and just looking to switch.

Last edited by oops; 02-25-19 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 12:43 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

To me it’s $38K vs $47K. $9K difference. Yes it has 100 miles but that’s a new car in my eyes.

If you’re not in dire need of a car I’d wait until the 2020 RDX.

Buy the one you like. You’ll be the one driving it everyday.
Old 02-25-19, 02:43 PM
oops
Driver School Candidate

Comparing the interiors, I do like the NX too... one thing that bugs me about the RDX new design is the middle shape holding all the gear shift buttons. It looks like where babies comes out of... does anyone see it or is it just me??

Last edited by oops; 02-26-19 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 04:17 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
NX infotainment will not keep you happy. Very few are. Yes, that pad is pain to use when driving. So it their mouse and joystick. It is not intuitive to use, you have to look down, very hard to pin point on the screen.. so do all adjustments when stopped... I am in 19 RX350L as I type, my NX is at dealership - and its joystick is no better. Give me a nice touchscreen, like I had in my Highlander...
OP, I want to caution you. You saw why car was returned, right? Do not repeat my mistake. It is small. Sorry, all those who love it, it is small. Don't fall for lower price to find out that you are crammed in it in few weeks. Choose wisely.
On a good side, after 2 days in RX350L, I'd actually prefer NX over it. This RX feels like a boat. Solid, but boat.
But don’t you think that aside from the difference of a joystick versus a touchpad, that the OP will find the infotainment more similar than different? I realize there are 5 years difference but Lexus is pretty slow to make changes so I imagine it would be a pretty short learning curve.

Also, related to another comment from oops, we cross-shopped the 2016 RDX when we porchased our NX. The rocker panel was a full inch higher on the RDX than the NX (same height as the RX actually) so it didn’t really improve the ingress/egress for my wife. It may be something for you to consider as the RDX is a new design this year.

Last edited by TechNut; 02-25-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 08:41 PM
oops
Driver School Candidate

To me it’s $38K vs $47K. $9K difference. Yes it has 100 miles but that’s a new car in my eyes.

If you’re not in dire need of a car I’d wait until the 2020 RDX.

Buy the one you like. You’ll be the one driving it everyday.
Do you think second year is good enough to wait out any issues with first year models?
Old 02-25-19, 09:40 PM
oops
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TechNut

But don’t you think that aside from the difference of a joystick versus a touchpad, that the OP will find the infotainment more similar than different? I realize there are 5 years difference but Lexus is pretty slow to make changes so I imagine it would be a pretty short learning curve.

Also, related to another comment from oops, we cross-shopped the 2016 RDX when we porchased our NX. The rocker panel was a full inch higher on the RDX than the NX (same height as the RX actually) so it didn’t really improve the ingress/egress for my wife. It may be something for you to consider as the RDX is a new design this year.
Acura's touch pad is 1 to 1 ratio. I learned that it means wherever you put your finger on the pad, is the respective position on the screen. That makes it much more intuitive than Lexus, no?

Quick Reply: 2019 NX do you love it?