NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Snow disabling NX systems in North America.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 06:17 AM
Johnnx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow disabling NX systems in North America.

I'm in the UK and recently the multi functional display went beserk in heavy snow at night with around 4 to 5 inches of snow on the road surface.. For two periods of around thirty minutes whilst in a convoy behind a snowplough I had constant non-stop audio and visual warnings flashing on and off one after the other. Unbelievably and dangerously distracting. They were so quick that some were impossible to read but mainly it was along the line of autonomous braking disabled, lane departure disabled, forward camera disabled (presumable the traffic sign camera mounted on the windshield), parking sensors disabled , and cruise control radar disabled. the crazy thing is that apart from autonomous braking the other facilities were not enabled.

Fortunately in the UK such extremely heavy snow conditions rarely occur more than once a year.
My Lexus centre says that it is just the weather that causes the problem and offered no solution.
Its never happened on other makes of care ie. VW Touareg, Honda or Audi with various similar systems.
What intrigues me is how do NX cars cope in areas of North America and other countries with regular serious episodes of winter weather?
It would be good to hear of your experiences and resolutions to similar problems.
Old 03-05-19, 07:09 AM
Boomer80
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in a city often considered the snowiest city in America...Syracuse NY. We average about 120 inches of snow every year and winter can start as early as November and last through March. I've never heard or seen such an issue. I would find another dealer or repair facility to get to the bottom of this. This is not normal and attributing it to the snow is irresponsible and just wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Johnnx (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 07:45 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I live in Minnesota and have experienced the parking sensors giving a false alarm twice during some pretty bad snow storms. Nothing else besides that.

Its certainly possible for the sensors to get to blocked with snow. And not just on the NX. It happens on all brands.
Johnnx (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 02:13 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Up in Canada myself, occasionally I've had warnings on the dash for various sensor systems because of snow/ice build up. There's 4 main sensors I can think of...forward radar, blind spot/cross traffic radar, parking sensors, and forward camera in windshield. Each will self diagnose if they get obscured and disable those systems and warn you.

This is just one of those things, you can disable most of the sensor systems via menus/buttons but it's time consuming and easier just to stop and clean the sensor locations.
Johnnx (03-05-19)
Old 03-05-19, 07:12 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

I have owned the NX for three years now, and I have had parking sensors covered in snow on the front bumper, thus giving me a warning, but only on one instance. So yes it can happen, but it is very rare. Please note, our 2016 model has parking sensors, blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. We don’t have any of the other safety systems like auto braking, lane departure or the radar based cruise control so our vehicle may not be the best comparison. The one time it happened the snow was very wet and sticking to the vertical surface of the front of the vehicle - so my experience is that it only occurs in relatively unique weather conditions.
Johnnx (03-07-19)
Old 03-07-19, 12:04 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Johnnx, I lived in the UK for eight years and never had any sensor problems when driving my 1960 Morris Minor Traveller in the snow!

But yes, just yesterday in very wet snow my NX twice warned me the radar cruise control stopped working and the sensor should be cleared....it eventually cleared itself when I got around the large lorry in front of me. The same sensor warning has also activated in heavy rain.

I have all the fancy stuff on my NX, but the only other weather related caution I generally get is the "brake-hold" not be effective when the temperature is near freezing....