Late-model CR-V vs 2016/17 NX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 10:38 AM
hjk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Late-model CR-V vs 2016/17 NX?

Hi all, this is my first post!

I am the original owner of a geriatric 2005 ES330. It has been very good to me, requiring its first "major" repair after 10 years of near-daily service (which cost under $400). My goals are problem-free, long-term operation. Now that the sun roof motor, back windows, AC, some speakers, and some additional mechanical item have failed, it is time to retire her and move on.

The NX has fascinated me since I first saw it at an auto show in 2014, and I've been thinking about an SUV ever since.

When I started looking recently, I initially ruled out Lexus (because of perceived higher cost than I wanted) and ruled in CPO rather than new. I looked at Kia, Toyota, Hyundai, and Honda. To my surprise, I liked the CR-V best.

But when I started looking at prices of CPO Honda CR-V, they started bumping up around the same as the 2016/17 CPO NX! Looking for low miles in all cases.

Now, I realize that Honda and Lexus are not really in the same class. However, since I haven't purchased a car in 13.5 years, the interiors and technology are all on par with Star Trek to me.

They both seem to have pluses and minuses. However, I am alarmed at the problem reports of the Honda 1.5L Turbo engines - and more alarmed at Honda's treatment of their US customers both on this issue and the battery issue (where the battery drains due to some post-power sensor that runs continuously). Although, I think, a vast majority of CR-V owners do not have either issue so far as I can tell.

So my question is this: is there any reason to consider a newer (17/18/19) CR-V over an older (16/17) NX?

Thanks for any wisdom, thoughts, pontificating, experiences, or hearsay you can provide!
Old 05-11-19, 10:45 AM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

I cannot speak on longevity or reliability to either vehicle. but, we tint hundreds of CRV's and very few NX's. I myself own a 2019 NX F Sport AWD and it is honestly the "perfect" vehicle for ME. while I know it won't be for everyone, it fits my needs and wants to a T.

now, if I had to choose one over the other, NX all the way. no question. the interior is much nicer in the NX than the CRV. Honda makes a quality vehicle for sure, but they aren't a "premium" brand like Lexus. If you were comparing a Rav4 to the CRV, I would say CRV every time. but for me, the NX would win out. again, this is only my opinion. good luck with whichever you choose.
Old 05-11-19, 11:05 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

The NX is a little more cramped than the CR-V in ways...other than that, NX all the way.
Old 05-11-19, 05:18 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

The NX definitely has more power and torque. Test drive both multiple times.
Old 05-11-19, 05:29 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a family member with a 2018 CR-V, it is a little bigger in size, and it does feel lighter when accelerating/handling. Also note that it’s a CVT but you do get Apple CarPlay and adaptive cruise control, pre collision and features like that standard. If you don’t care about those things i’d pick the NX any day. it’s a complete different feeling driving the two.
Old 05-11-19, 06:03 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

You’ll see far fewer NXs on the road if that matters to you. CRVs are a dime a dozen. It’s a perfectly fine vehicle but there are just so many of them. I like something with a little more style.
Old 05-11-19, 06:42 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Let me caveat by saying I own a 16 LX570 and love Lexus. I also own a 18 CRV EX-L as a daily driver. For my money, CRV all the way.

CRV
PROS: Comes with adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, Apple Carplay and hits 34mpg highway
CONS: Louder than the NX, the interior is lower quality comparably,

NX
PROS: Lexus dealer network, better interior (i.e. leather) quality
CONS: Infuriating infotainment, no advanced safety features or Carplay, lower mpg

I personally find the NX a shoddy ride and does not have the traditional "Lexus" polish (quiet comfortable ride). If anything, compare a RX and CRV.
I also don't have any issues on battery drain or the 1.5L turbo engine issue; you can get a new EX-L for ~$27k (FWD) or Touring for $30k.
Old 05-11-19, 06:51 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wandl
Let me caveat by saying I own a 16 LX570 and love Lexus. I also own a 18 CRV EX-L as a daily driver. For my money, CRV all the way.

CRV
PROS: Comes with adaptive cruise, lane keep assist, Apple Carplay and hits 34mpg highway

NX
CONS: Infuriating infotainment, no advanced safety features or Carplay, lower mpg

I personally find the NX a shoddy ride and does not have the traditional "Lexus" polish (quiet comfortable ride). If anything, compare a RX and CRV.
I also don't have any issues on battery drain or the 1.5L turbo engine issue; you can get a new EX-L for ~$27k (FWD) or Touring for $30k.
Weren't all the safety features added as standard on the 2017 NX? Also they were optional on prior years so it's possible to find a used one with them. When I was shopping I test drove a 2016 and it had adaptive cruise and LKS.

Yes an RX is a better vehicle but it's more expensive. It's also much larger.

A person really just has to drive them.
The following users liked this post:
corinvest (05-12-19)
Old 05-11-19, 07:34 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wandl

CRV

NX

My 2016 has radar cruise, lane keep, parking sensors, blind spot monitors, cross traffic, etc.
Old 05-11-19, 10:19 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ross7777
You’ll see far fewer NXs on the road if that matters to you. CRVs are a dime a dozen. It’s a perfectly fine vehicle but there are just so many of them. I like something with a little more style.
Funny thing is in my city, I see more NX, IS and RX models on the road more than any of the newer Honda CR-V and Accord models.
Old 05-11-19, 10:20 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

I believe the 2015-17 Executive and F sport series 3 came with the radar cruise and then became standard in 2018
Old 05-12-19, 03:18 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Danny200t
Funny thing is in my city, I see more NX, IS and RX models on the road more than any of the newer Honda CR-V and Accord models.
There are a lot of RXs everywhere...

Around here there are thousands of CRVs and RAV4s. The parking lot where I work is full of them.
Old 05-12-19, 09:30 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Danny200t
I believe the 2015-17 Executive and F sport series 3 came with the radar cruise and then became standard in 2018
In Canada we get packaged options, in the US they're added on separately.
Old 05-12-19, 10:22 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

In the US, for the 2015 and 2016 model years, NXs with the various safety features were quite rare. Most of the NXs with the radar cruise, auto braking, blind spot monitor, etc. were NXs with the Luxury package, and Luxury package NXs were only a small percent of all of the NXs that were shipped to dealers. By the 2017 model year, most (perhaps, all) Lexus models had the Safety System + (radar cruise, collision avoidance, etc.) as standard equipment, and the separate safety options, like the blind spot monitor, were included on most cars that were shipped to dealers for all of the Lexus models.
Old 05-12-19, 10:31 AM
hjk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the input! I had a feeling that the NX might not be completely up to the Lexus standard (at least as far as I experienced in my ES). I test-drove both a CR-V EX-L and a 2017 NX.

The Lexus representative, who didn't have much to say overall, told me that there was no difference between any of the NX models from 2016-2019. Based on my research, that is very far from true. Maybe in terms of the driving experience and engine performance?!

I'm not very concerned with driving distinction with a "common" car, so that is not part of my consideration.

The main point of contention in my mind is that a 2018/19 CR-V (new or low miles CPO - high trim) is very nearly the cost, or the same cost, as a 2016/17 NX... maybe a 2018, depending on what I can work out - somewhere around 27-30k.

The standard features of the CR-V are compelling - safety (as Wandl mentioned) and Carplay. But some of the interior does seem below par. The details on especially the safety features of the 16/17/18 NXs seem to be limited. I find cargurus.com have more details on these cars than the dealership sites themselves. And, I'm not sure how well they work in Lexus compared to Honda's implementation.

Quick Reply: Late-model CR-V vs 2016/17 NX?