NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Rock chips an issue with NX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 03:10 PM
wallaceb
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rock chips an issue with NX?

The NX F-Sport has the giant grill and the hood is up pretty high. I realize they are on every vehicle to an extent, but are rock chips really a big concern on the NX F-Sport? Worth doing a clear bra?
Old 05-24-19, 04:07 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my is250 had a lot more chips than nx...
Old 05-24-19, 04:33 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

In my humble opinion, it is definitely worth applying the paint protection film. The modern paints are not as durable as the old finishes, and it is nearly impossible to get a good match touching up most of the multi-stage colors used by Lexus. Highway speeds have also increased in the years since the 55 MPH speeds were eliminated, and there are more trucks than ever flipping rocks on passing vehicles. That said, I don’t think the NX is any better or worse than the next vehicle with respect to this challenge.

I have seen a big difference with rock chips since I started using the film, so I am a firm believer. For me, it is just about protecting my investment so my vehicle will stay looking new as long as possible and ultimately bring the best trade-in or resale. I had the entire front clip (complete hood and fenders) done on my NX, as well as the mirrors door cups and door edges for $1500. I do recommend an independent accessory installer as I have had better luck getting a quality product than with the dealer’s installer.
Old 05-24-19, 07:30 PM
aa146
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ I agree with TechNut, its better to spend the money now to protect it than spend even more money down the road trying to fix it.

I recommend doing the A pillars too if you decide to do the complete front end.
Old 05-25-19, 06:13 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but I had windshield replaced on mine twice in 35 000 miles.
Old 05-25-19, 09:33 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
In my humble opinion, it is definitely worth applying the paint protection film. The modern paints are not as durable as the old finishes, and it is nearly impossible to get a good match touching up most of the multi-stage colors used by Lexus. Highway speeds have also increased in the years since the 55 MPH speeds were eliminated, and there are more trucks than ever flipping rocks on passing vehicles. That said, I don’t think the NX is any better or worse than the next vehicle with respect to this challenge.

I have seen a big difference with rock chips since I started using the film, so I am a firm believer. For me, it is just about protecting my investment so my vehicle will stay looking new as long as possible and ultimately bring the best trade-in or resale. I had the entire front clip (complete hood and fenders) done on my NX, as well as the mirrors door cups and door edges for $1500. I do recommend an independent accessory installer as I have had better luck getting a quality product than with the dealer’s installer.
Dealer installers can be good, it's really about the installer themselves and not where you get it done. I had the dealer do mine at purchase and it was absolutely flawless, WAY better than my last car with it.

I'm also a firm believer in the stuff, I will never purchase a new car again without it (my last two new vehicles have had it).
Old 05-26-19, 06:09 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Dealer installers can be good, it's really about the installer themselves and not where you get it done. I had the dealer do mine at purchase and it was absolutely flawless, WAY better than my last car with it.

I'm also a firm believer in the stuff, I will never purchase a new car again without it (my last two new vehicles have had it).
I agree.

Provided that the dealer is using a competent installer, I've found 3 advantages to having the paint protection film installed by the dealer. First, if I include the film in the negotiations to buy the car and if I save bringing the film into the process until after all other aspects of the deal have been negotiated, the dealer is not going to want to risk losing the sale by insisting on making a huge profit on the paint protection film. Instead, the dealer is likely to be willing to sell the paint protection film package for little or no profit, which means prices that are half (or less) of what you would be likely to pay an independent shop to do the work. Second, if the dealer does the work before I pick up the car, I don't have to worry about losing the use of the car for a day, arranging for alternate transportation, etc. Finally, it is nice to know that the car is already protected when I drive the car for the first time.

Also, I believe that many dealers actually sub-contract paint protection film to the same shops that independently do that kind of work.

I agree with the others who think that paint protection film is a must. With all of the painted surfaces on the front ends of most new cars, without paint protection film, it is not a question of whether you are going to get chips in the paint. Instead, it is only a question of how soon and how many chips that you are going to get. Besides protection against chips in the paint, the film also provides good protection against paint damage done by environmental factors, such as bird droppings and tree sap. With the film, bird droppings and tree sap clean off easily and before they can do damage to the paint.

I would also suggest that, even though it will not be cheap, getting more comprehensive film coverage is worth doing. A good package will include, at least, the full bumper, full hood, full front fenders, and mirrors, and it can also include things like the door handle cups, A pillars, front edge of the roof, and door edges. Getting the full bumper, full hood, and full front fenders covered not only gives more protection, but it also avoids having lines that collect dust and dirt where the film ends.
Old 05-26-19, 01:49 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

I agree with lesz in principle, however my comments were based merely on personal experience. Our RX was done by the dealer (twice on some parts) and our ES was done by the dealer and has a pocket trapping dirt. Our NX and a former Prius was done by an independent contractor, one that used to do Toyota/Lexus cars for the local dealer but couldn’t agree to a new contract price. The work done by the independent has been fine, with no visible flaws - but it was indeed a bit more expensive.