NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Manually adding optional speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-19, 01:17 PM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Manually adding optional speakers?

I own the 2019 F Sport

So when I bought my NX i stuck with the base sound system, which is 8 (or is it 9?) speakers. One of the options available was a 10 speaker setup that came with the navigation package, then also some premium Mark Levinson package.

Where would the location of the 10th speaker be for the regular navigation package? Is wiring already there? From what I've seen so far there is a tap in the right rear corner in the cargo area. What type/size of speaker is usually included in this package? Can I order the trim mouldings so that I could just place my own speaker back there?

What about speaker locations for the Mark Levinson package? Where are these positioned?

Last edited by NXNoob; 06-28-19 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-28-19, 02:10 PM
CareAllend
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to be 12 speakers. I don't know if they are prewired. The sound is good, but not exceptional...

Last edited by CareAllend; 06-29-19 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-29-19, 01:13 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CareAllend
Seems to be 12 speakers. I don't know if they are prewired. The sound is good, but not exceptional...

This is the ML setup. The premium sound 10 speaker doesn't have the two behind the backseat in the C-pillars.
Old 06-29-19, 06:58 PM
NipponCDN
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The 10 speaker system adds an amplifier and two speakers - 8 inch woofer in the tailgate and a center channel.

The ML system adds 2 more speakers into the C pillars.

As you don’t have an amplifier (I may be wrong here - ask the dealer) I am not sure if the system is wired - best way to find out is take off the back right corner panel and see if the harness is there.

Please see my build thread for a picture of the factory amp and harness.

Look in here for amp picture.

If you’re like to improve the sound focus on upgrading the front dash speakers and door speakers first. There are some threads on how to do that here. More speakers do not equal better sound. Better speakers installed properly is the better way to go.

As for base adding an amplified sub under the seats or in the hatch will round out the system - all depends on your budget.
Old 07-01-19, 07:59 PM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

I'm not looking to spend much money. I figured it would have been an easy add-on but I guess not. If better sound can be had by replacing the front dash & door speakers, any suggestions on how to proceed? Bear in mind I have literally zero experience doing this but I'm not afraid of giving it a try.
Old 07-02-19, 12:13 AM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NXNoob
I'm not looking to spend much money. I figured it would have been an easy add-on but I guess not. If better sound can be had by replacing the front dash & door speakers, any suggestions on how to proceed? Bear in mind I have literally zero experience doing this but I'm not afraid of giving it a try.
You'll probably get a noticeable difference by only replacing the speakers, given you buy good ones made for a rather low power output.
Old 07-02-19, 12:53 AM
NipponCDN
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a look then at this post

I would start by replacing just the dash speakers - this will help tons. If you need more bottom end then consider an under the seat sub or hatch sub.
Old 07-03-19, 07:15 AM
mps2220
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

In my experience, changing the speakers without adding an amp will not be enough to satisfy, and in some cases sound worse. The speaker placement and type of drivers used in these vehicles were engineered to match the under powered factory amp plus the amp's kooky x-over points.

I would suggest adding a powered sub if you don't have one already.
Old 07-10-19, 05:56 PM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Figured I would post an update on what I decided to do based on other linked threads. So far I've replaced the front dash speakers as advised, I went with the Focal IC100. If you cut off 2 of the metal mount pieces, it will just barely be able to fit between the plastic inside the speaker area. Instead of soldering I used some spade disconnects and crimped them onto the existing factory wire after cutting off the OEM connector, for which I could not find any sort of aftermarket harness that could fit it. It's a tight space to work in but easily accomplished and I'm getting some improved sound already. Next I'll give the woofers in the front doors a try.
Old 07-10-19, 09:35 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

Figured I would post an update on what I decided to do based on other linked threads. So far I've replaced the front dash speakers as advised, I went with the Focal IC100. If you cut off 2 of the metal mount pieces, it will just barely be able to fit between the plastic inside the speaker area. Instead of soldering I used some spade disconnects and crimped them onto the existing factory wire after cutting off the OEM connector, for which I could not find any sort of aftermarket harness that could fit it. It's a tight space to work in but easily accomplished and I'm getting some improved sound already. Next I'll give the woofers in the front doors a try.
Get some sound deadening for the doors too while you're at it. It helps the stock speakers, so I bet it will do well with Focals too.
Old 07-11-19, 03:52 AM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jhs82
Get some sound deadening for the doors too while you're at it. It helps the stock speakers, so I bet it will do well with Focals too.
I've never used any of that stuff before. Have a link for some recommendations?
Old 07-11-19, 04:54 PM
jhs82
Lead Lap

I've never used any of that stuff before. Have a link for some recommendations?
I've used Silent Coat Vibrodamping in all the doors and boot. Check my thread for pictures. I'm going to add foam rings and wave dampers to the midrange speakers in the doors too. Roadkill RKFR6 foam speaker kit and RKSP2 standing wave rings.
Adding to that you can experiment with different foam materials in hollow areas. Not recommended in the doors though because of moisture.
Old 08-01-19, 10:40 AM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi i m planning to do the same as you. Which brand speakers r u getting for your doors?
What do you think about Focal ICU100 then your IC100?