NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2021 nx

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-20, 10:23 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
My impression of the RAV4 ride is that it is much like that of an ES, except that, with higher profile tires, it is actually a bit less harsh than that of my 2017 ES. The RAV4 is never going to be a "canyon carver", but it has a very compliant ride quality without being, as you said, "bouncy".
Congrats on your new car and I hope you will enjoy it for as long as you drive it.
I drove 2020 RAV4 and it is very nice SUV, but it did not ride as well as, supposedly harsh drive NX. IMHO, NX rides much better vs RAV. How is that your RAV rides better then ES I cannot understand. Especially, considering that ES is almost a benchmark for smooth ride in midsize sedans.
Old 10-21-20, 10:46 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

My impression of the RAV4 ride is that it is much like that of an ES, except that, with higher profile tires, it is actually a bit less harsh than that of my 2017 ES. The RAV4 is never going to be a "canyon carver", but it has a very compliant ride quality without being, as you said, "bouncy".
The nice thing about the new RAV4 is that the rear shock absorbers sit vertical. This means that no matter how deep in compression or extension, the mechanical advantage/relationship between the rear springs and the rear dampers remain the same. Contrast that with the current NX that is based on rather dated 2006-up RAV4 rear suspension architecture, where the rear dampers rest at an almost 45 degree angle while the springs sit vertical throughout the suspension stroke. In the latter's case, the damper works toward a horizontal position the more the rear suspension is compressed, reducing its leverage over the spring and ability to stabilize movements until compression eases.

With all of the above said, I can't wait to see how the next NX will handle once it moves to the more modern TNGA platform. The myriad of aftermarket parts that come with a 14 year old platform will surely be missed, but time will likely take care of that.
Old 10-22-20, 06:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new RAV4's ride about the same or a bit softer and handles about the same as the NX. The new chassis and suspension setup really help to improve ride and handling over the last RAV4. Steering also feels better but still should feel more of the road. If the new NX build onto those attribute, it should be once heck of a sporty SUV.
Old 10-22-20, 08:48 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk
The nice thing about the new RAV4 is that the rear shock absorbers sit vertical. This means that no matter how deep in compression or extension, the mechanical advantage/relationship between the rear springs and the rear dampers remain the same. Contrast that with the current NX that is based on rather dated 2006-up RAV4 rear suspension architecture, where the rear dampers rest at an almost 45 degree angle while the springs sit vertical throughout the suspension stroke. In the latter's case, the damper works toward a horizontal position the more the rear suspension is compressed, reducing its leverage over the spring and ability to stabilize movements until compression eases.

With all of the above said, I can't wait to see how the next NX will handle once it moves to the more modern TNGA platform. The myriad of aftermarket parts that come with a 14 year old platform will surely be missed, but time will likely take care of that.
Originally Posted by The G Man
The new RAV4's ride about the same or a bit softer and handles about the same as the NX. The new chassis and suspension setup really help to improve ride and handling over the last RAV4. Steering also feels better but still should feel more of the road. If the new NX build onto those attribute, it should be once heck of a sporty SUV.
Both of the above are consistent with what I'm seeing with my 2021 RAV4 and how its ride compares to that of both the NX and the previous generation RAV4.

Considering that the current RAV4 generation started with the 2019 model year, it is hard for me to understand why 2nd generation NX based on the same new platform has not yet appeared.
Old 10-22-20, 09:23 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Considering that the current RAV4 generation started with the 2019 model year, it is hard for me to understand why 2nd generation NX based on the same new platform has not yet appeared.
Yes - exactly!