NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

brake sound in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 11:28 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by matmelt
I just don't understand how a Lexus can do this....
There is nothing special about Lexus engineering. These are just cars, like other brands out there. In the case of my hybrid, it has exactly the same drivetrain as the Toyota Rav 4 hybrid. In the case of the standard NX (200T or 300), their engine is unique but the rest of the drivetrain is still identical to the Rav 4 drivetrain. Cars today are very complex machines and any of them can experience failures. Lexus just has one of the best records (Toyota also consistently ranks high according to CR) so they definitely do it right, but no machine is perfect and they all experience wear. Furthermore, some aren’t always maintained In accordance with the mfg recommendations, although with such low mileage that shouldn’t be an issue in your case (although with such low mileage perhaps it sat somewhere for a long time, which can be hard on suspension components). I wouldn’t read too much into this.

Now to your question, no our NX isn’t doing this but since it is a hybrid and has regenerative braking, our configuration is completely different - so not an appropriate comparison. Anyway, I hope the dealer got it resolved for you this time.
Old 08-08-19, 03:06 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 202 Posts

No. Your brakes are configured identical to conventional vehicle. Down to the last screw. Regen braking has nothing to do with the brakes themselves, it is all done inside the PSD - Power Split Device, cleverly using inertia and momentum. Otherwise, brakes wise - calipers, pistons, pads - hybrids are identical to non hybrids. The only difference is that braking force, controlled electronically, is set so that 80% of braking is done by regen and when that is not enough, hydraulics are employed via brake actuator. And if rgen braking fails for any reason, system switches to regular hydraulic brakes 100%.
Old 08-08-19, 04:53 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
No. Your brakes are configured identical to conventional vehicle. Down to the last screw. Regen braking has nothing to do with the brakes themselves, it is all done inside the PSD - Power Split Device, cleverly using inertia and momentum. Otherwise, brakes wise - calipers, pistons, pads - hybrids are identical to non hybrids. The only difference is that braking force, controlled electronically, is set so that 80% of braking is done by regen and when that is not enough, hydraulics are employed via brake actuator. And if rgen braking fails for any reason, system switches to regular hydraulic brakes 100%.
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Doesn’t detract from the main point, which is that my brakes aren’t making the noise being discussed. My NX has a little over 14K miles so it might not be a bad comparison in that respect. However, the hybrids still don’t experience the same wear and tear on their brakes as a result of the regen braking. So comparing a hybrid to a standard configuration with similar mileage still may not be a reasonable comparison - just not for the reason I was thinking?
Old 08-10-19, 10:30 AM
matmelt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the dealer performed a band aid fix with "removed rear brake pads and lubricated rear caliper". i haven't driven the car enough to see if the click is still there.

i asked what is the exact cause? and what is the permanent fix? i received no answer.

if anyone has a permanent fix let me know. i have read some stuff about fit kits and shim kits - not really sure if thats what i need?

i bought CPO in order to avoid all this BS . . .
Old 11-15-21, 10:29 PM
NGKWRICK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem with my UX200 Luxury

I have similar brake clicking noises problem when stepping and releasing my brakes during reversing. I am driving the 2020 UX200 which is merely 15,000KM mileage when this start happening. I bought this car new and is less than a year. In August, I sent to the Lexus service centre. They replaced the “Front Shim Kit”. It was OK for a few weeks, I thought the problem solved. But the same issue resurfaced and the “click, click” noise is getting louder even my wife seating next to me can hear and adked “what’s that noise”. I went back to the service center today but was told this is normal. However, I asked to speak to Repair Supervisor, and after some testing, was told that they need remove the wheels, to check it again and see if they can get it fix for me. Will check to see what they have done, drive for few more weeks, to see if the problem is fixed or not. Will update here again.
Old 12-10-21, 04:25 PM
pbwillz
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear the same clicking sound in reverse. It isn't something to be concerned about but it is not completely normal either.

You could just have dirty brakes. Try cleaning them and apply some brake grease on the back of the shims and on the caliper pins as they tend to stick.
Old 12-14-21, 04:10 AM
ngkwaiweng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent to Lexus Service Center again in November. They checked and serviced the front brakes on my UX200. It was good again for few weeks and then the brake clicking noises comes back again during reversing. I am wondering if this is a manufacturer defect or is this a common problem in all Lexus SUV models ?