NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Why oh why has Lexus replaced the Rioja Red with the dated Circuit Red nuluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 10:23 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Why oh why has Lexus replaced the Rioja Red with the dated Circuit Red nuluxe?

Hi owners.

The Rioja Red color has transitioned to Circuit Red on many of the latest “refresh” models by Lexus and likely phase out the former shade entirely on all models.

I have had two Lexuses with the Rioja Red color specifically because it was not the polarizing bright lipstick red shade found in many other interiors. It’s a refined, welcoming, and warmer shade of red. For this reason, it has appealed to many who would have otherwise not gone with that “traditional” red interior. Mercedes has also used a very similar shade that is almost identical to Rioja that looks much refined than the usual brighter red interior color.

For those of you that are or were owners of the Rioja, what are your thoughts about the newer were Circuit Red color? I was looking forward to continuing the Rioja in my next Lexus and a bit bummed that it has been replaced with the brighter red shade of yesteryear. This “update” to the Nuluxe Red seems like a step backward. Just from the pictures alone, it looks like the tackier brighter red color that Lexus refreshingly and welcomely avoided with the introduction of the Rioja.

Is the Circuit Red that much of a deviation from the Rioja as it appears in pictures from the dealership and buy the Lexus website online? For those who have seen both, what are your opinions?

I can’t understand why Lexus would tinker with something good. The Rioja Red I found to be a sporty, yet refined and classy red variant that I can’t see why Lexus would go back to that less popular stark polarizing shade of red that Rioja Red had been so successful at making red sexy again.

I haven’t seen any posts in the forum in regard which is quite surprising. Let the (friendly) debates begin!

Last edited by FUZCO; 07-26-19 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SundayDriver (10-07-23)
Old 07-27-19, 09:15 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

From the website impressions I would agree...haven't seen it in person yet though. I like the Rioja red in my NX.
Old 07-27-19, 01:46 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Like the Circuit red (with black) interior in my RCF. Nice contrast to the Platinum exterior. My NX has the Rioja with black interior, which to me looks very good, but not as exciting as Circuit, but for a SUV is fine! These two reds are very different. Circuit brighter, stands out more with contrast against the black. Rioja appears to me to be a reddish tan shade.
Circuit perfect for my sports car!
Rioja almost perfect for a grocery carrier!
Old 07-27-19, 08:08 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bob67
Like the Circuit red (with black) interior in my RCF. Nice contrast to the Platinum exterior. My NX has the Rioja with black interior, which to me looks very good, but not as exciting as Circuit, but for a SUV is fine! These two reds are very different. Circuit brighter, stands out more with contrast against the black. Rioja appears to me to be a reddish tan shade.
Circuit perfect for my sports car!
Rioja almost perfect for a grocery carrier!
Thanks for your input. As initially a rioja red owner, did the circuit red come across as off-putting? When I see circuit red, the image that comes to mind is the horrible BMW lipstick red racer-boy color. Is it not as bad?
Old 07-28-19, 12:23 AM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2016 Atomic Silver IS had Rioja red interior and my new NX300 has the circuit red, I do kind of prefer the Rioja more but the circuit is not all that bad.
Old 08-05-19, 03:53 PM
lilfool
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaJoDJ
My 2016 Atomic Silver IS had Rioja red interior and my new NX300 has the circuit red, I do kind of prefer the Rioja more but the circuit is not all that bad.
Same here. I had Nebula Grey Pearl on my 2016 IS and Roja Red was a hit! It wasn't too bright, it was just right and it covered the whole seat. But Like u said, Circuit red on my NX isn't too bad either.
Old 08-08-19, 08:00 PM
FUZCO
Lead Lap

I just went to the dealer for a look see. While it isn’t horrible, it’s definitely not as nice as the Rioja color. The salesman even agreed! Why mess with a good thing?
Old 04-07-23, 10:03 AM
BruceinFla
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts

The 2 different Reds in the same car? 🤮
Bruce in FL
Old 10-07-23, 08:22 AM
SundayDriver
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more with your comments on the newer brand/shade of Rioja Red. I'm in the process of purchasing a new NX 350h and as much as I liked the previous warmer R. Red (deeper) shade, the upgrade is brash, in IMO. I can't for the life of me understand why Lexus settled on the current shade of Rioja Red for their upgrade.
Old 10-07-23, 03:26 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Lexus needs to upgrade and become more youthful and interesting. More tech and fresher ext and int colours.

Gone are the Mercs and Lexus models at work. The car park is now filled with Teslas and BYD’s.
Old 10-10-23, 12:43 PM
isinto
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

2019 NX300 F Sport, after driving around for a few weeks, i kinda like the Circuit Red now with black contrast, I think if the seats were completely all red, it'd get to me. Maybe you'll get use to it like i did
Old 10-10-23, 01:10 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 769 Likes on 479 Posts

When you see them together, I dislike the Roja red quite a lot. It looks very much like wine to me. Almost on the purple side of things. The circuit red looks nicer/fresher to me but it's all subjective. What I don't like on what lexus does is they don't add the color in other spots so that it's less "harsh" or glaring in a way... When you only have the red on the entire seat it's just a lot. But if they were to blend it in with other areas it looks much nicer. But I have seen Roja red by itself and it looks completely fine. I am pretty sure the RCF that I test drove before buying mine had a Roja red interior and I very much liked it.

The LC500 above that has two different reds looks awful to me. I'm really surprised they did that from the factory because it looks horrible,

Lexus does things really really well at times, and then other times they just completely drop the ball and I am often left scratching my head on how it got by so many designers/engineers/PM's that gave the OK.

-Nigel