NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Question regarding factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 06:42 AM
kubakj
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question regarding factory alarm

Currently I don't have access to my Lexus vehicles and book.

Can someone tell me what factory alarm is and what other theft protection is pre-installed with 2019 Lexus NX 300 ? My insurance is asking for this information.

Old 08-03-19, 07:43 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kubakj
Currently I don't have access to my Lexus vehicles and book.

Can someone tell me what factory alarm is and what other theft protection is pre-installed with 2019 Lexus NX 300 ? My insurance is asking for this information.
Online manual right on Lexus web site:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/lexus.site.t...U/OM78285U.pdf

Page 62 describes factory alarm, as snipped, in addition to immobilizer on page 60:

That was easy
Old 08-03-19, 08:30 AM
CareAllend
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, both alarm & immobilizer functions won't prevent today's most common car thefts: "Keyless Entry" & "OBD Port" theft:
  • In the first mode, two thieves use two relay boxes, which wirelessly transmit signals from one location to another. They hold one relay box outside your home’s front door (or somewhere near where the car keys will be hanging) and receive the signal the key fob gives off through the walls. The signal can then be transmitted to a second relay box near the car and this will “fool” the vehicle into thinking the key is nearby, and unlock the doors. Only remedy: always put your key in a shielded box or wallet.
  • In the second mode, thieves get into the car by breaking the window in a way that doesn’t set off the ultrasonic alarm sensor. Then they attach a reader to the OBD2 connector, and once connected they can disable your vehicle immobiliser, de-activate the alarm, code new keys and then drive away! All of this can be done in less than two minutes. There are a few OBD2 protectors on the market (mechanical and electronic).
All this is known by your insurance company, I guess.
Old 08-03-19, 09:53 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP (Thread Starter) asked for info on factory alarm, not how effective they are

Originally Posted by CareAllend
Unfortunately, both alarm & immobilizer functions won't prevent today's most common car thefts: "Keyless Entry" & "OBD Port" theft:
  • In the first mode, two thieves use two relay boxes, which wirelessly transmit signals from one location to another. They hold one relay box outside your home’s front door (or somewhere near where the car keys will be hanging) and receive the signal the key fob gives off through the walls. The signal can then be transmitted to a second relay box near the car and this will “fool” the vehicle into thinking the key is nearby, and unlock the doors. Only remedy: always put your key in a shielded box or wallet.
No need for a shielded box, just turn OFF the key fob by (i) press the Lock button, then (ii) while holding the Lock button with one finger, press the Unlock button twice with another finger. Watch for the 2 flashing pulses, followed by another 2 flashes (LED) to confirm it is OFF. That's it.

To turn if back ON, press ANY button. If you are near your NX, will hear the acknowledge beeps. This info turning OFF the keyfob can be found in your manual under "Saving battery" (of the key).

My insurance company advised me to park any car in the locked garage overnight, as this is MOST effective , and that reports of car theft is mostly on owner's very driveway overnight. What was described in your response, as below, takes about 20 minutes to steal, thus usually overnight, with your keyfob turned ON!

• In the second mode, thieves get into the car by breaking the window in a way that doesn’t set off the ultrasonic alarm sensor. Then they attach a reader to the OBD2 connector, and once connected they can disable your vehicle immobiliser, de-activate the alarm, code new keys and then drive away! All of this can be done in less than two minutes. There are a few OBD2 protectors on the market (mechanical and electronic). .
According to this York police report, the whole process takes about 10 to 20 minutes. However, I don't know if true why/how the break-in did not set up the sound alarm? Perhaps the cops did not want to reveal this for public knowledge, only the pros know. Can someone can chime in, also with respect to this news report?
https://www.cp24.com/news/york-polic...suvs-1.4286705

Last edited by 16fsport2; 08-03-19 at 10:01 AM.