scratch in the primer

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-19, 09:32 PM
yitshen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch in the primer

Dear collective brains,

My car got a huge area of scratch in the primer when my wife parks the car. Any idea how much this will cost? I’ll visit a body shop tomorrow.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-19, 12:41 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Not sure on body shop costs.

But it would cost me one wife for sure! Why oh why was she trying to park like that?
Old 08-26-19, 10:09 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

looking at the way the tires were turned, good thing she didn't reverse and rip the side mirror off

at least all the damage is on a single panel
Old 08-27-19, 06:46 AM
gulshan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No need for fancy lexus certified body shop. Try any cheap place like maaco. A single coat whole car paint costs $300. Also you may want to teach your wife on how to use the auto mirror tilt on reverse feature. It's on my 2016 Nx and very useful for parking in tight spots.. Check the youtube videos on how it works if not familiar
Old 08-27-19, 06:56 AM
yitshen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gulshan
No need for fancy lexus certified body shop. Try any cheap place like maaco. A single coat whole car paint costs $300. Also you may want to teach your wife on how to use the auto mirror tilt on reverse feature. It's on my 2016 Nx and very useful for parking in tight spots.. Check the youtube videos on how it works if not familiar
Thank you gulshan. I got a quote from maaco and their price is really honest and decent. My only worry is that there are people complaining about their paint quality.

I have taught my wife how to use the tilt function but I guess she has forgotten that haha.

Thanks again for your reply!
Old 08-27-19, 07:48 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by yitshen
Thank you gulshan. I got a quote from maaco and their price is really honest and decent. My only worry is that there are people complaining about their paint quality.

I have taught my wife how to use the tilt function but I guess she has forgotten that haha.

Thanks again for your reply!
I would also get a couple of other quotes and check the reviews of the shops in your area. Cheapest may not be best.
The following users liked this post:
lesz (08-27-19)
Old 08-27-19, 05:37 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by olgzr
I would also get a couple of other quotes and check the reviews of the shops in your area. Cheapest may not be best.
The post quoted above is especially good advice.

With the various metallic and pearl finishes used on today's cars, there are very few colors that don't present challenges in getting a good color match. Shops with a reputation for doing quality work know how to deal with those challenges, when it it is going to be necessary to blend the new paint into adjacent panels, etc. With other shops, you may end up with paint on your car, but the color match on the repaired area may stick out like a sore thumb. The job may cost more at a shop that does quality work, but, to me, the extra cost is worth it to end up with a repair that doesn't look like the car has had paint work. And Maaco is a shop that I wouldn't even think of considering if I cared at all about how the car looks.
The following users liked this post:
toyoman29 (08-29-19)
Old 08-27-19, 06:44 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

DO NOT let Maaco fix that!!!! I cannot stress that enough! They may be reasonably priced but that is where the good ends, and problems begin. Trust me, I have had them paint 3 cars for me and I WILL NEVER trust them again.

Take it to a reputable shop, preferably one who deals in higher end cars. It is well worth the extra cost.
Old 08-28-19, 06:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017FSport
DO NOT let Maaco fix that!!!! I cannot stress that enough! They may be reasonably priced but that is where the good ends, and problems begin. Trust me, I have had them paint 3 cars for me and I WILL NEVER trust them again.

Take it to a reputable shop, preferably one who deals in higher end cars. It is well worth the extra cost.
Whats the difference, looking at the pictures, his wife is just going to damage the car again anyway. I say if the OP is not insured for that type of accidents, get the cheap paint job because it will happen again.
Old 08-28-19, 04:15 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Originally Posted by The G Man
Whats the difference, looking at the pictures, his wife is just going to damage the car again anyway. I say if the OP is not insured for that type of accidents, get the cheap paint job because it will happen again.
I guess by that adage I would get the cheapest repair possible from anywhere. If it is indeed going to happen again.
Old 08-28-19, 05:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

If that is the thinking, why bother to repair it at all. The Maaco paint work that I've seen looks, to me, even worse than if a paint repair was not even attempted.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
2017FSport (08-28-19), toyoman29 (08-29-19)
Old 08-28-19, 07:10 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Originally Posted by lesz
If that is the thinking, why bother to repair it at all. The Maaco paint work that I've seen looks, to me, even worse than if a paint repair was not even attempted.

I agree, just buff off the scuff marks and let it ride.
Old 08-29-19, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2017FSport
I agree, just buff off the scuff marks and let it ride.
I guess it depends on the OP's wife's driving record, rather the car is leased or has a loan on it. If the OP is considering Macco, the car is not insured for this type of accident so the car might have been paid in full and has minimal insurance coverage. Usually, owners who gets into a lot of accidents are not that picky about the paints matching perfectly or if the paint has minor flaws.
Old 08-29-19, 05:53 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Usually, owners who gets into a lot of accidents are not that picky about the paints matching perfectly or if the paint has minor flaws.
Unfortunately, I've never seen paint work done by Maaco whose "flaws" I would describe as "minor flaws".

Maaco provides cheap paint work by taking every shortcut that it can. For example, instead of removing things like door handles and trim, they will just mask around trim. The result will be an obvious line where the new paint ended. Further, their paint process with metallic and pearl colors will not come close to matching the sparkle or depth of the rest of the factory finish. And, because they will not properly blend new color into adjacent areas, the color and depth mismatches will show up like a sore thumb. Finally, because they also take shortcuts in preparing the surface for new paint, it is common for their paint to crack, bubble, and otherwise quickly deteriorate.

There are reasons why good and proper paint work is expensive, and Maaco doesn't do most of the things that would be needed to be done to do proper paint work. I would consider using Maaco only if I had, say, a 20 year old junker car and I wanted paint, regardless of how bad it looks, on the car.
Old 08-29-19, 11:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
Unfortunately, I've never seen paint work done by Maaco whose "flaws" I would describe as "minor flaws".

Maaco provides cheap paint work by taking every shortcut that it can. For example, instead of removing things like door handles and trim, they will just mask around trim. The result will be an obvious line where the new paint ended. Further, their paint process with metallic and pearl colors will not come close to matching the sparkle or depth of the rest of the factory finish. And, because they will not properly blend new color into adjacent areas, the color and depth mismatches will show up like a sore thumb. Finally, because they also take shortcuts in preparing the surface for new paint, it is common for their paint to crack, bubble, and otherwise quickly deteriorate.

There are reasons why good and proper paint work is expensive, and Maaco doesn't do most of the things that would be needed to be done to do proper paint work. I would consider using Maaco only if I had, say, a 20 year old junker car and I wanted paint, regardless of how bad it looks, on the car.
Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One man's major flaws in car paint is another's man or woman's minor flaws. We comparing a paint job that cost hundreds as oppose to thousands, some people will overlook certain things for that kind of money.