NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX spindle grille

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 03:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default NX spindle grille

When Lexus first introduced the spindle grille around 10 years ago, I hated it like many others. Fast forward to today and a few generations of spindle grille designs later, has the spindle grille gotten better looking? The Acura transformer grille was in a similar situation and the current gen. Acura grille actually looks ok. Going back to the NX grille, I hate to say it, I still do not like it. In fact, I do not like the whole lower front area. The rest of the car looks good.

what do you guys or ladies think of the NX grille? Is it currently the ugliest grille out there?

Last edited by The G Man; 08-30-19 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-30-19, 04:35 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I like them. Wasn't real happy with the stark lines of the new RX, but looks like they softened it somewhat for 2020 and to me makes a world of difference. Will be looking at the new NX when it comes out, hopefully they do the same to it.
Old 08-30-19, 05:40 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I decided on my 2016 NX FSport, I realized I prefer its spindle grille more than the "regular" base model with "horizontal parallel slat" look!

Another point to ponder: the way the grille was photographed it is almost always taken at the same or lower angle to the grille itself, which in turn exacerbates the aggressive look. Normally when you stand looking (down) at the grille, to me it looks good without overly menacing.

Also from my perspective, the chrome lining gradually thins out from top to bottom in my 2016 NX model, which I like better, when I look to the current 2019, they have the same thickness, apparent to increase the bold impression, which I thought unnecessary. For the same reason, I found those chrome band on the RX350 "mouth" too heavy, however, it is a bigger SUV.

Just my ranting
Old 08-30-19, 06:36 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I always thought that “smashed darth Vader” grill to look ugly on the RX, but the proportions are better on the NX. That said, I agree with another poster that stated a strong preference for the F-Sport grill, unfortunately they don’t have it in a hybrid (like they do outside of North America). Anyway, I have gotten used to it and it doesn’t bother me as much as it once did. All Lexus models are experiencing this same growing grills. I remember hating the ES grills when the increased the size in the 2016 update (and most of it was just non-functional plastic). Now take a look at the new 2019 ES grill, it is even larger. Looks a bit like a large mouth bass. The vertical slats break it up so it doesn’t look to bad - but again the F-Sport definitely looks better.

This is trend is not unique to Lexus. Take a look at current Audi’s and their ever-increasing grills. Still, the current model Toyota Avalon wins the award for the largest grill. Looks like a whale scooping up krill.
Old 08-30-19, 07:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I know it is subjective but most people like the Audi grille despite the size, the Lexus grille however...........

The earlier version of the Lexus were definitely uglier and just because we have gotten use to the ugly looking grille, that doesn't make it any less ugly.
Old 08-30-19, 11:22 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I was hesitant to buy NX just because of that darn grille. In fact, the only reason I did not purchase F-Sport is because its grille looks much bigger (possible due to more uninformed texture, not broken by horizontal bars) and overall uglier than the regular one.
I own my NX for 2.5 years now and still not quite settled with the grille.
Old 08-30-19, 01:13 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, this is like the me too movement for NX owners.

Although the f sports grille is bigger, i think the vents on the side of the grille looks better. It was a toss up for me. We thought the regular NX has a stiff ride already, therefore We didnt want the even stiffer ride of the f sport.
Old 09-02-19, 11:30 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I know it is subjective but most people like the Audi grille despite the size, the Lexus grille however...........

The earlier version of the Lexus were definitely uglier and just because we have gotten use to the ugly looking grille, that doesn't make it any less ugly.
I own a Audi Q5 and a Lexus NX F-Sport...I like the look of both, but prefer the Lexus grill.

In fact, the reason I didn't buy a NX hybrid in 2017 was because the hybrid was not available in the F-Sport model with the larger grill and sportier, "firmer," ride.

I like the front end/grill look of the F-Sport so much I do NOT ruin the look by attaching the required front end license plate to it...and, knock on wood, so far the police in 12 states and British Columbia have ignored the missing plate.
Old 09-04-19, 04:21 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
I own a Audi Q5 and a Lexus NX F-Sport...I like the look of both, but prefer the Lexus grill.

In fact, the reason I didn't buy a NX hybrid in 2017 was because the hybrid was not available in the F-Sport model with the larger grill and sportier, "firmer," ride.

I like the front end/grill look of the F-Sport so much I do NOT ruin the look by attaching the required front end license plate to it...and, knock on wood, so far the police in 12 states and British Columbia have ignored the missing plate.
Interesting, I actually think the front license plate deflects some of the ugliness from the Lexus front grille. Takes the attention away from the big mouth bass grille.
I know a few people who also like the spindle grille but they are few and far in between. How many more generation of spindle grille will it takes for the general public to like the grille?
Old 09-04-19, 10:32 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

How many more generation of spindle grille will it takes for the general public to like the grille?
I don't know, has Lexus had a problem selling the F-Sport? I see a lot on the road out west...
Old 09-05-19, 10:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
I don't know, has Lexus had a problem selling the F-Sport? I see a lot on the road out west...
Its not just the F Sport, it the spindle grille in general, the grille on the NX is actually not as ugly as some other Lexus model. There lies the problem, Lexus is not losing sales over the ugly grille, there is no reason to improve it. The car itself is a great car but just with a ugly grille. With the NX, Lexus can get away with the grille because some younger generation buyers like the grille because it draws attention. Fortunate for Lexus, The NX is a cheaper model that most young buyers can afford. The LS on the other, sales since 2012, the first year of the LS spindle redesign, sales have been steadily in decline. What Lexus should have done is to implement the radical looking spindle grille in their low end models and stay with the conservative design for the high end models.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-05-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-05-19, 01:38 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Its not just the F Sport, it the spindle grille in general, the grille on the NX is actually not as ugly as some other Lexus model. There lies the problem, Lexus is not losing sales over the ugly grille, there is no reason to improve it. The car itself is a great car but just with a ugly grille. With the NX, Lexus can get away with the grille because some younger generation buyers like the grille because it draws attention. Fortunate for Lexus, The NX is a cheaper model that most young buyers can afford. The LS on the other, sales since 2012, the first year of the LS spindle redesign, sales have been steadily in decline. What Lexus should have done is to implement the radical looking spindle grille in their low end models and stay with the conservative design for the high end models.
It is hard to clarify if the decline in LS sales is due to the supersized grill or just the general decline in sedan sales. I might also offer that there are a lot of choices out there that are also very fine cars but much less expensive. It is really difficult to quantify the cause for declining LS sales and the grill is just one possible factor.
The following users liked this post:
lesz (09-05-19)
Old 09-05-19, 06:49 PM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The look of the grille will always be subjective. I personally LOVE the F Sport grille of my 2018 NX300, and my wife loves the grille on her 2016 NX200t F Sport. In fact, she loves the new Lexus so much she just bought another 2019 Lexus IS350 F Sport.
Old 09-06-19, 05:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

For those of you guys or ladies who like the look of the grille, it is a bonus for you guys. As mentioned earlier, the NX is a good enough car that it can overcome the not so ugly grille when compare to other Lexus models. As far as the FSport, the grille is bigger, not better or worst in my opinion but I do like the FSport's bigger front side vents. The stiffer ride was what kill the deal for me as far as the F Sport.
Old 09-17-19, 05:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus has out done themselves with the spindle grille on the 2020 ES350. Yikes!!!!

Quick Reply: NX spindle grille