NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Android auto coming to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 07:57 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I removed the little mirror thing by the cup holders and put my phone there.
Old 12-30-19, 10:45 AM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
If you have a non-nav car, AA or CP can make a huge difference. If you are running a Gen 11 Nav car, Our Lexus system is by far better. If you have Gen11 nav and you don't feel so I would suggest you take some time on lexusdrivers.com and teach yourself how to take for advantage of it.
I've got a Gen 11 NX300 but I don't have any trips coming up until probably next spring or summer but I'll be very interested to if it's any better than previous versions.I also have Android Auto on this NX so it will be a good comparison between the two systems. I definitely do not like the color scheme on this new system. It's very hard for me read it. I don't know what was so wrong with an off white backgound.
Old 12-30-19, 12:17 PM
MoMocha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Android Auto is so disrespectful

Originally Posted by osea23
I just bought my 2020 NX 300h this August so I'm pretty disappointed to read that only NX's produced after October 2019 will have Android Auto. I emailed Lexus to see if they will have firmware updates to add in Android Auto to all 2020 NX's but it seems like the chances are low for any pre October 2019 NX's to get Android Auto.
I feel the same. I feel cheated. Why should I be forced to by an iPhone?
Old 12-30-19, 12:43 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MoMocha
I feel the same. I feel cheated. Why should I be forced to by an iPhone?
Nobody is forcing you to use an iPhone. You bought the vehicle without Android. Don’t rely on promises of future updates. Especially when it comes to technology.
Old 12-30-19, 11:15 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
. Create a spot that I can stick my phone and it mirrors what I have on my phone with the screen in the vehicle. I love how there is no spot to put your phone in the NX, which seems like another huge oversight to me.

-Nigel
I live in a state (Washington) that does not allow a driver to hold a phone in one or both hands while driving (driving includes stopped in traffic) unless the car is pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. However, this does not preclude the minimal use of a finger to activate, deactivate, or initiate a function of the device...as long as it's not in the driver's hand(s).

Surely other states are adopting the same laws and car manufacturers will have to adapt in a way that allows a driver's phone/device to be readably useable while driving. I look forward to the day I too can use Google/Waze while driving...and I too am not switching to Apple.

Old 01-04-20, 09:30 AM
pmark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pmark
Android auto or apple CarPlay isn't that big of a deal. I have them in my current car and I don't use them.
I take back my previous comment, android auto has improved since I last used it and is pretty nice now. Waze works pretty good now.
Old 01-06-20, 01:16 PM
TomC97
Driver School Candidate

Default 2020 nx300

I just picked up a 2020 nx300 and found out its not Android Auto Capable. It is a Non Nav truck. Other than using AA, is there ANY other way/app/feature that will give me the ability to project any sort of Nav in the truck?
Old 01-06-20, 04:00 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TomC97
I just picked up a 2020 nx300 and found out its not Android Auto Capable. It is a Non Nav truck. Other than using AA, is there ANY other way/app/feature that will give me the ability to project any sort of Nav in the truck?
Maybe get an older iPhone (like a “burner” phone) just for navigating in your SUV? If your NX has built-in Wi-Fi, maybe the iPhone can connect to the internet via Wi-Fi and you won’t need a data plan for it.
Old 01-06-20, 04:21 PM
TomC97
Driver School Candidate

Is Scout Link available on the 2020 NX300 without AA? Has anyone tried/used it?
Old 01-07-20, 10:59 AM
fattest
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TomC97
Is Scout Link available on the 2020 NX300 without AA? Has anyone tried/used it?
yes and it's awful
Old 01-13-20, 10:16 PM
SS2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nipun
​​​​I spoke to a Lexus customer support tech division today. They informed me that they are working on a software update for Android auto and NX 300 which has Apple Car play, but gave no date as to the roll out. This is still positive news.
Any updates on this? Thanks
Old 01-14-20, 03:43 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,692 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
I live in a state (Washington) that does not allow a driver to hold a phone in one or both hands while driving (driving includes stopped in traffic) unless the car is pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. However, this does not preclude the minimal use of a finger to activate, deactivate, or initiate a function of the device...as long as it's not in the driver's hand(s).

Surely other states are adopting the same laws and car manufacturers will have to adapt in a way that allows a driver's phone/device to be readably useable while driving. I look forward to the day I too can use Google/Waze while driving...and I too am not switching to Apple.
Personally, I wish car companies would put USB port in the trunk of the vehicle....Put the cell in there and you can only use bluetooth and things related to the car interface to avoid people texting and doing silly stuff with their cell while driving. There are many rules here but the penalty is not harsh enough - People blow red lights, rear end vehicles and almost run over pedestrian because their are addicted to that text message that makes them feel so important and loved...All you need is one of your loved one (wife, husband, kid, parent, sibbling) to be killed or seriously injured (paralyzed) but a person texting and driving to fully understand the seriousness of this action....

Car companies could do more to reduce texting and driving and I wonder how long it will be before someone challenges them through a civil claim and win for them to finally take action. I mean, seriously, if they can have suspensions that reads the road and adapts to 1 million times a second, sure they can do something to help reduce this problem that is more widespread than drinking and driving...
The following 2 users liked this post by wthrman2:
gmarakom (02-20-20), RX350DIY (01-29-20)
Old 04-30-20, 06:57 PM
Krishprabz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Android auto

Originally Posted by SS2006
Any updates on this? Thanks
Any update on the AndroidAuto update for <=2019 models?
Old 05-01-20, 03:48 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,135 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Personally, I wish car companies would put USB port in the trunk of the vehicle....Put the cell in there and you can only use bluetooth and things related to the car interface to avoid people texting and doing silly stuff with their cell while driving. There are many rules here but the penalty is not harsh enough - People blow red lights, rear end vehicles and almost run over pedestrian because their are addicted to that text message that makes them feel so important and loved...All you need is one of your loved one (wife, husband, kid, parent, sibbling) to be killed or seriously injured (paralyzed) but a person texting and driving to fully understand the seriousness of this action....

Car companies could do more to reduce texting and driving and I wonder how long it will be before someone challenges them through a civil claim and win for them to finally take action. I mean, seriously, if they can have suspensions that reads the road and adapts to 1 million times a second, sure they can do something to help reduce this problem that is more widespread than drinking and driving...
Agree 100%. Friend at my gym is a local police officer. I asked him how many accidents are caused by using cell phones. His response was easily over 50% yet our state legislators threw out a bill that would require no holding a cell phone while driving for any purpose.
Old 05-03-20, 04:07 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Android Auto for the first time today. I did a little test trip from here where I live to about an hour away to the address where I grew up. Got directions from Google Maps on my home PC and sent them to my phone. When I got out to the NX and paired the phone up the Android Auto app popped up on the phone asking me to allow it to take over everything. When I did that the menu popped up on the nav screen in the vehicle. Selected Maps and the address popped up, selected it and off we went. I must say I think I do like this form of navigation a little better than the factory nav. But I think I've confirmed I'm going to have to go get fitted for glasses because especially the moving map side of it is just too small for me to be able to read it. Even the factory nav screen is difficult for me to read. Unless I can find some sort of non reading glasses off the shelf at a store since I would only need them for driving.

Now here's where I had trouble with the Android Auto. Once I got to my old house address I thought ok now let's let Android Auto bring me back home. But for some reason I couldn't pull up maps to tell it to go home. Are you supposed to input addresses in Google Maps from the vehicle screen or from your phone? Because on the vehicle screen if I selected the Google Maps icon again it just showed me that I had completed that trip and wouldn't let me get past that. If I tried to go into maps on my phone it said Android Auto was running and I couldn't access maps while it was running so I turned it off. But turning Android Auto off meant that I couldn't get it back on again. So I just told the factory nav unit "go home" and used it on the way back.

What should I have done different? Maybe unplug the phone, unpair it, then redo it all like it was the first time being connected? Speaking of the factory nav, this new 11.0 system, it says that it now uses "the cloud". Is it just getting traffic updates and such from the cloud or is it supposed to be more intuitive with better route choices than the old systems?

Quick Reply: Android auto coming to Lexus