NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Android auto coming to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19, 01:00 PM
Krishprabz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Android auto coming to Lexus

Heard the news Lexus 2020 models will have android auto loaded including NX, any idea about support on older models such as 2018?
The following users liked this post:
MoMocha (12-30-19)
Old 09-14-19, 01:56 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Krishprabz
Heard the news Lexus 2020 models will have android auto loaded including NX, any idea about support on older models such as 2018?
I think its unlikely. I believe it will require a different head unit. Besides that, what incentive does Lexus have to do this. They are in the business of selling cars and one way to do that is by enticing buyers with new features. Just my personal opinion, but I cannot see any auto manufacturer doing this on older model years unless the electronics are already there and it was just a simple firmware update.
MoMocha (12-30-19)
Old 09-14-19, 02:30 PM
osea23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my 2020 NX 300h this August so I'm pretty disappointed to read that only NX's produced after October 2019 will have Android Auto. I emailed Lexus to see if they will have firmware updates to add in Android Auto to all 2020 NX's but it seems like the chances are low for any pre October 2019 NX's to get Android Auto.
MoMocha (12-30-19)
Old 09-14-19, 08:16 PM
GSG16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by osea23
I just bought my 2020 NX 300h this August so I'm pretty disappointed to read that only NX's produced after October 2019 will have Android Auto. I emailed Lexus to see if they will have firmware updates to add in Android Auto to all 2020 NX's but it seems like the chances are low for any pre October 2019 NX's to get Android Auto.
I'm in the same boat. Will be picking up my 2020 NX 300 this week...sad to hear that I won't get Android Auto...
Old 09-14-19, 09:02 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

just pick up a beatsonic unit apparently, they just launched wired AA/CP or the one thats popular on 4th gen RX forums thats wireless
Old 09-15-19, 06:56 AM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I think its unlikely. I believe it will require a different head unit. Besides that, what incentive does Lexus have to do this. They are in the business of selling cars and one way to do that is by enticing buyers with new features. Just my personal opinion, but I cannot see any auto manufacturer doing this on older model years unless the electronics are already there and it was just a simple firmware update.
Its funny because the exact same words were said about apple car play including that you need a new head unit. Look how that turned out. Its screen mirroring software ppl nothing more nothing less: if they want it to come it will.
Old 09-15-19, 11:30 AM
osea23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
just pick up a beatsonic unit apparently, they just launched wired AA/CP or the one thats popular on 4th gen RX forums thats wireless
It seems like they haven't certified it to work on the refreshed NX's yet, so we'll have to wait for that to be updated for the newer NX's with the Gen 10 Enform Infotainment.

Originally Posted by Jmask5
Its funny because the exact same words were said about apple car play including that you need a new head unit. Look how that turned out. Its screen mirroring software ppl nothing more nothing less: if they want it to come it will.
I wouldn't get my hopes up that they'll do a firmware update for models that are already compatible with CarPlay. It sounds like there's another hardware difference to get AA running. Maybe Lexus will change their tune in a year or so...
Old 09-22-19, 06:18 PM
levander
Driver School Candidate

Toyota really screws up the whole in-car infotainment thing. They were foolish to think a car compnaywith their .entune software could compete with Apple and Google. It’s like a baseball player think he can walk over and compete in the NFL.

Ford was lucky. When they tried this they screwed up so bad so quickly, they quickly changed gears and went with interoperability instead of locking their customers into a system they did not want.
Old 09-23-19, 10:59 AM
maelstromm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Did you install it yourself or get it installed? Trying to decide what route to take on this. Toyota really took forever to realize that AA/CP was something consumers would need.
Old 09-24-19, 07:22 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maelstromm
Did you install it yourself or get it installed? Trying to decide what route to take on this. Toyota really took forever to realize that AA/CP was something consumers would need.
send them an email and see what they say. Personally have not done it, but they`ve been drumming it up on the forums. Couple vendors on the forums that are offering screen replacements with aa built in, and other vendors offering boxes that attach and offer wireless carplay/aa.
Just got keep your eyes and ears open to find the non lexus options.
Old 09-24-19, 08:41 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Andriod Auto is currently only on the 2020 RX model.
Old 10-02-19, 06:02 AM
nateboussa
Driver School Candidate

I had said this on another forum, as this affects development of the 550B Highlander and got someone to spill on the future of Toyota trucks. The 2020 Highlander might not get it until MY 2021 in late 2020, as that launches in January or early February of 2020. It will only have Apple Carplay.

emi calculator gst login ifsc code

Last edited by nateboussa; 10-03-19 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-03-19, 10:57 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Update.. Andriod Auto will be on any vehicle with gen-11. This will be The 2020 RX and all NX, UX, ES, or RC produced after Oct 2019. On top of that, the in-car wifi will be powered through AT&T after that production date.
LexNYC83 (05-17-20)
Old 10-04-19, 10:32 AM
arf1410
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I called the Lexus support line, and asked if there would be a way to update the 2019 NX for Android Auto... they looked into it and got back to me the next day, and said they are working on that making that available ... but not surprisingly could not give me a 100% commitment or a date ...
Old 10-04-19, 01:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arf1410
I called the Lexus support line, and asked if there would be a way to update the 2019 NX for Android Auto... they looked into it and got back to me the next day, and said they are working on that making that available ... but not surprisingly could not give me a 100% commitment or a date ...
Skyshadow basically is all the commitment you need :}
skyshadow (11-01-19)

Quick Reply: Android auto coming to Lexus