NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Thoughts on NX from RX (or reverse)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-19, 02:50 PM
Eponagirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on NX from RX (or reverse)

Opinions/experiences from those that either went from RX to NX or NX to RX?

I've been on the search for a good used 2015 RX 350 and kept missing out on the few that I've come across. So, I also started looking into the NX, which I have not yet been able to test drive, but did see them in person. It's my understanding that the ride is not so "buttery", but I'm coming from an Infiniti M35x, so could go either way on that front. I like the comfy interior of Lexus and of course the reliability. We already have a few years old ES350, so I am familiar with that. The down sides I've heard are the infotainment, cargo space and then possible wind/outside noise when driving. The noise might bother me if that's true, but I'll have to drive it to be sure. I do have a dog that will be with me, but he is used to being buckled in on the back seat.

Why might you have gone from RX to NX or NX to RX? I figure it's like a raised up sedan with seats that fold down....being extremely general here!
Old 09-19-19, 04:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

My wife went from a 2012 RX to a 2018 NX, the major difference is handling and the ride. The nx is a bit smaller but we were trying to downsize. Highway noise is a bit more than the rx but no by no mean is the nx noisy on the highway. Info system is about average as far as user friendliness and graphics. The seats on the nx really hugs you, the rx seat is more open. The price between the two was a lot closer than I thought. In the end, the nx’s size and handling won.
Old 09-19-19, 07:14 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 529 Posts

Agree with the G Man’s observations. It exhibits a little more road noise than the RX and the seats really do hug you, but the cargo area is noticeably smaller. Our motivation was really pretty simple, for just the two of us and occasional adult friends, the RX was just larger than we needed. Furthermore, my wife has hip problems and the NX measured about an inch lower for egress, which was more comfortable for her.

If if you search this forum you will find other discussions comparing these two vehicles, such as this one: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...omparison.html
Old 09-20-19, 07:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

For the record, when we were shopping for my wife's car, even though the RX is suppose to be one level higher than the NX in the Lexus line up, we never thought that buying a RX would be a step up. Our opinion was the RX is a bigger car that did not handle as well, material and finish were very similar, we also do a lot of city driving and the NX is easier to drive in the city.
The following users liked this post:
GlenK (09-21-19)
Old 09-21-19, 08:45 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Asking others about there opinion on a vehicle that you did not test drive in person, and for extended time, is asking what shoes will fit you well and comfortable. Pointless, pretty much. We are not you, you are not us, your likes are YOUR likes. Test drive the car first, arrange for long term test drive, have your own opinion.
Old 09-21-19, 04:44 PM
Eponagirl
Driver School Candidate

Asking others about there opinion on a vehicle that you did not test drive in person, and for extended time, is asking what shoes will fit you well and comfortable. Pointless, pretty much. We are not you, you are not us, your likes are YOUR likes. Test drive the car first, arrange for long term test drive, have your own opinion.
Thanks for sharing YOUR opinion. I happen to find what others have posted helpful when I finally got to test drive. OF COURSE, I will formulate my own opinion in the end. Information of all types is helpful when looking at a car. Someone might say something you have never thought about before that helps make a decision somewhere down the line.
The following users liked this post:
HeatherLee (03-20-20)
Old 09-23-19, 06:26 AM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to throw this out to you----Have you considered maybe looking for a 2016 lease return? It seems to me that a bit more for a 2016, especially a CERTIFIED 2016, might be worth the few dollars more?
Just as an example, I have a 2019 NX , on a 3 year lease which, when I turn it in in another 2 years will have approx.9500-10500 miles on it. That's based on prorating what I have on it now for the next two years
Again, it seems to me that would be a better bet than a 4 year old car. I know that usually lease cars are driven pretty hard, BUT there are plenty of people that I know that return them with low mines and fully maintained by Lexus during the lease.
Just a thought.
Jay
Old 09-23-19, 07:02 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I also agree with GMan & Technut....vs, RX the NX ride comfort is not the same....but the F Sport is sportier!!!
Old 09-28-19, 12:04 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by crankshaft
I also agree with GMan & Technut....vs, RX the NX ride comfort is not the same....but the F Sport is sportier!!!
NX drives more like a car, RX like a SUV.
RX great for long rides. NX good for city traffic and smaller parking areas.
Old 10-09-19, 09:47 AM
Eponagirl
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone! I finally got to drive both and chose the RX for my needs. I do not live in a city and I needed more space, so the RX won out. For me, the drive in the NX was a bit bumpier for my liking, but the test drive included a REALLY bumpy road, so it was more obvious than regular driving. The interior was quite nice and did have plenty of space, I just needed a little more on a regular basis. Ended up with an RX that was made late in 2015 with low miles and well cared for. Love it so far! I think it was worth comparing the two models though. The NX was a contender for sure.
Old 10-10-19, 10:41 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Eponagirl
Thank you everyone! I finally got to drive both and chose the RX for my needs. I do not live in a city and I needed more space, so the RX won out. For me, the drive in the NX was a bit bumpier for my liking, but the test drive included a REALLY bumpy road, so it was more obvious than regular driving. The interior was quite nice and did have plenty of space, I just needed a little more on a regular basis. Ended up with an RX that was made late in 2015 with low miles and well cared for. Love it so far! I think it was worth comparing the two models though. The NX was a contender for sure.
Good choice for your requirements.

I went from an RX to the NX F-Sport, and totally agree with your assessment...I chose the NX due to its smaller size and nimbleness.
Old 10-14-19, 05:57 PM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope my 2002 RX300 AWD is my last vehicle. If it should not be I would choose another RX over and NX. Our daughter’s NX is a great vehicle so far, and it’s fun to drive. I prefer the size and comfort of the RX, and I need a vehicle that can tow 2800lbs easily. I also prefer the higher seating position of the RX while driving and when entering and exiting the vehicle.
Old 10-15-19, 10:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimbug
I hope my 2002 RX300 AWD is my last vehicle. If it should not be I would choose another RX over and NX. Our daughter’s NX is a great vehicle so far, and it’s fun to drive. I prefer the size and comfort of the RX, and I need a vehicle that can tow 2800lbs easily. I also prefer the higher seating position of the RX while driving and when entering and exiting the vehicle.
Hate to burst your bubble, but the NX is actually bigger in dimension than your 2002 RX300. Its 2 inches longer and 1 inch higher.
Old 10-15-19, 10:57 AM
jimbug
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hate to burst your bubble, but the NX is actually bigger in dimension than your 2002 RX300. Its 2 inches longer and 1 inch higher.
No bubble burst here. I still prefer the higher seating position, better visibility, and more comfortable, quiet ride of the RX300 over the NX. I hate to burst your bubble but he asked about RX or NX. I assumed he was talking about a newer model RX compared to a NX. I haven’t checked, but I imagine a late model RX is bigger in almost every way than an NX.
You even admit that in your comments above “The NX is a bit smaller” geez.

Last edited by jimbug; 10-15-19 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-15-19, 12:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimbug
No bubble burst here. I still prefer the higher seating position, better visibility, and more comfortable, quiet ride of the RX300 over the NX. I hate to burst your bubble but he asked about RX or NX. I assumed he was talking about a newer model RX compared to a NX. I haven’t checked, but I imagine a late model RX is bigger in almost every way than an NX.
You even admit that in your comments above “The NX is a bit smaller” geez.
The NX is actually one inch higher than your RX. The new RX is a yacht, it is bigger in every way. They are both very similar in price after discount. The RX is more like an appliance or a soccer mom's car. The NX is more for people who enjoy driving, a young person's car or for empty nesters.

Last edited by The G Man; 10-15-19 at 12:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The G Man:
DampDuffer (10-16-19), Jezza819 (10-17-19)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on NX from RX (or reverse)