NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Navigation has me going in circles

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19 | 06:56 PM
Nessie
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation has me going in circles

Hi all,

I have a 2019 NX I acquired last month. I came from a 2017 Rav4 (and 2016 Rav4 before that). I never had any issues with the quality of nav directions in the Ravs, but several times the NX navigation has literally sent me around the block or way off the most obvious course for no apparent reason - no detours or construction ongoing. I realize there are three route options, but I think it's defaulted to the shortest route. Regardless of the route selected, there's no reason it should have me go around the block.

Anyone else have this experience? Is there a way I can update or re-flash the system?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-19 | 05:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I always select the fastest opinion and never the shortest. The shortest sometimes take me off road and to some really off the beat roads.
The following users liked this post:
Nessie (09-26-19)
Old 09-26-19 | 08:03 AM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nessie
Hi all,

I have a 2019 NX I acquired last month. I came from a 2017 Rav4 (and 2016 Rav4 before that). I never had any issues with the quality of nav directions in the Ravs, but several times the NX navigation has literally sent me around the block or way off the most obvious course for no apparent reason - no detours or construction ongoing. I realize there are three route options, but I think it's defaulted to the shortest route. Regardless of the route selected, there's no reason it should have me go around the block.

Anyone else have this experience? Is there a way I can update or re-flash the system?

Thanks!
Make sure you don’t have “avoid toll roads” or any other items like that turned on.
Nessie (09-26-19)
Old 09-26-19 | 01:58 PM
CareAllend
Rookie

Hi all,

Thanks!
**** happens I had two similar experiences in Europe, albeit not with Lexus cars: 1) in France, I was circled around my spot of destination several times, no way to exit this crazy circle... 2) in Spain, the "shortest" route brought me to a tiny road along a village's church and its s cemetery ,... I had to switch the mirrors to pass.

You're right: the "shortest" options might lead to roads even a bicycle can't ride....
Nessie (09-26-19)
Old 10-07-19 | 01:25 PM
baykayaker
Driver School Candidate

Default Just crossed the country both ways - miserable

Pretty miserable experience. Its’ routes were awful, often longer than Apple and Google by an more than an hour. Coming out of Albuquerque into Amarillo, it repeatedly wanted to leave I-40 and hightail into the desert - showed I 40 as a dead end, don’t know why. Offered optimized Rush-Hour appropriate routes that detoured around cities (e.g.Indianapolis) that would add 20+ minutes -only we were not in rush hour. We took to declining optimized routes and never got caught in actual stoppages or slow traffic. Would not accept the street numbers for three different long-established Marriotts.

On on the plus side, my wife likes “her voice”.

My wife’s ES has had none of these issues.

Going to the dealer tomorrow for first service. Going to have them put on Apple CarPlay, something we have always avoided.
Old 11-07-19 | 05:40 PM
baykayaker
Driver School Candidate

Update: Had CarPlay for a month now. Works great. Only thing I don’t like is you (apparently) can’t use it Bluetooth. I need a wired mount rather than the Qi charger I bought for the new NX. As it is, I keep my phone in the pocket when driving locally and plug it in when going farther. The Enform map is OK going to the grocery store, but I will never have it navigate for me again.
Nessie (11-07-19)
Old 11-10-19 | 04:16 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Well, for starters, do not keep emitters in the pocket for nay extended period of time.
Next, simply use your phone for nav. Waze. Google maps, maybe, they start getting better.
I tried Carplay in my truck and said forget it, it's 2020 almost, come up with something that does not have to be hardwired.
Nessie (11-10-19)
Old 11-11-19 | 01:06 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

The Navigation Apps take quite a bit of electric power. While fumbling out the device to plug in
when enabling Car Play is time consuming it does provide the power to keep the phone charged.
I have ended a journey and left Waze running while working and discovered the phone battery is
half dead by lunchtime.
Old 11-11-19 | 03:03 PM
Rpickoff
Driver

Hi all,

Thanks!
Go to route options and uncheck Avoid Freeways, Avoid Toll roads, etc etc
Old 11-12-19 | 09:17 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Well, for starters, do not keep emitters in the pocket for nay extended period of time.
Next, simply use your phone for nav. Waze. Google maps, maybe, they start getting better.
I tried Carplay in my truck and said forget it, it's 2020 almost, come up with something that does not have to be hardwired.
We are not there yet. BMW offers wireless CarPlay and its buggy. I prefer plugging it in. CarPlay allows google maps and Waze. It’s so much better to have it on the larger car screen vs the phone so the minimal effort required to plug it in is worth the benefit.