NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Creaking noise driver side suspension only at low speed when turning and down bump

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 04:30 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

So does the nut just work itself loose from the post? Allowing the brace to move side to side? I want to try this on my 2019 F Sport to see if it eliminates my "popping" noise.
Old 01-07-20, 07:32 PM
yertua
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to tighten the bolt that holds the Yamaha damper on my 2015 nx f sport using chezgk method. It was very straight forward. Thanks chezgk! The bolt on the driver side was loose which I tightened . However, I still get that “rumble” sound when I turn right at low speed, like in the parking lot. Did I miss something or is the problem something else? I have a 2002 Honda CR-V 4 wheel drive which had a rumble sound too when I turn. I ended adding some rear differential fluid to the CRV, which made the rumble sound go away. But my 2015 nx f sport is a FWD drive, which has no rear differential fluid to add. What could be the cause of the “rumble’ sound on the nx f sport? Thanks
Old 01-08-20, 08:31 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by yertua
I was able to tighten the bolt that holds the Yamaha damper on my 2015 nx f sport using chezgk method. It was very straight forward. Thanks chezgk! The bolt on the driver side was loose which I tightened . However, I still get that “rumble” sound when I turn right at low speed, like in the parking lot. Did I miss something or is the problem something else? I have a 2002 Honda CR-V 4 wheel drive which had a rumble sound too when I turn. I ended adding some rear differential fluid to the CRV, which made the rumble sound go away. But my 2015 nx f sport is a FWD drive, which has no rear differential fluid to add. What could be the cause of the “rumble’ sound on the nx f sport? Thanks
Some possibilities are; bad CV joints, bad wheel bearings or just tires that have uneven wear and are noisy in turns.
Old 01-08-20, 05:08 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by olgzr
Some possibilities are; bad CV joints, bad wheel bearings or just tires that have uneven wear and are noisy in turns.
I agree with olgzr here. I wouldn't associate rumbling with any of the talked about nuts and bolts. The first 2 suspects listed above are first 2 that were in my mind as well.

If speed changes the pitch or volume of rumbling in any way, then I'd be inclined to say CV. If not, check the ball joints by lifting the vehicle and rocking the suspect side's wheel up and down (side to side to check tie rods). Also rotate the tires and see what happens. Hope you find your culprit.
The following users liked this post:
yertua (01-13-20)
Old 02-19-20, 12:06 PM
MoeMentum
Driver School Candidate

Glad I found this thread. I have a 16 NX 200T Fsport 36K and was reluctant to send the car in to see if this was under warranty. Experiencing the same issue where I hear a loud creaking which sounds like it's coming from the front suspension when I back out of the garage and turning the wheel right. As with some of the other posters I only get this mostly in the morning or after the car has been parked for awhile. Don't hear anything noise under normal driving conditions or when going over bumps. Taking my car in this weekend to see if I can get a fix covered under warranty. Whether that be tightening the Yamaha Dampener bolts or replacing front strut mounts.

For those who got this fixed, was it covered under warranty? The dealer seems to want to charge an inspection fee when you try to book an appointment online for anything! Just curious if Cars under warranty still require an inspection fee?
Old 02-20-20, 04:47 AM
apwdweb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had an issue with any dealer (any make) taking a look at a car at no cost that is within the warranty coverage period. You may try calling and talking to someone to explain you are under warranty to make an appointment vs. using the online booking tool.
Old 06-16-22, 09:45 AM
Mlblack16
4th Gear

Older thread, but wanted to get clarification on the sound one hears when this issue is occurring.

I have a creaking sound that seems like it's in the front driver's side, but I just started to hear it when I go over speed bumps. It's a not a clunk, squeak or rattle. @chezgk hoping you're still on here. Would love to fix this myself rather than going through the hassle and ridiculous cost at the Stealership.
Old 06-19-22, 06:39 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mlblack16
Older thread, but wanted to get clarification on the sound one hears when this issue is occurring.

I have a creaking sound that seems like it's in the front driver's side, but I just started to hear it when I go over speed bumps. It's a not a clunk, squeak or rattle. @chezgk hoping you're still on here. Would love to fix this myself rather than going through the hassle and ridiculous cost at the Stealership.
Hi there @Mlblack16 ! Yep still here, still have my NX (not used as much these days though).

I'd associate a creaking sound with rubber degradation in the strut mount (try braking and loading the front end hard to get it to creak), worn spring isolators (had this in the rear once. Improperly clocked rear springs ate through the lower isolators), and worn sway bar bushings. Ridiculously, a loose air filter box also caused creaks in the past.

I'd associate clunks and rattles more with worn ball joints, worn outer tie rods, and loose bolts.

Low hanging fruit for you to try: spray the innards of the strut mount rubber bushings with silicone spray (avoid petroleum-based products!)

Good luck!

Last edited by chezgk; 06-19-22 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-28-22, 07:35 PM
balien1
1st Gear

Originally Posted by apwdweb
Hopefully this helps someone on the board if they have the same issue i had. I ended up taking the car in. Turns out it's a common issue with NX vehicles. The sound seems like it's coming from the driver side suspension system but the techs identified several bolts that hold down some kind of bar underneath the windshield cowl (sorry I'm not too technical) as the culprit. After a few turns of the wrench on the bolts that hold down the bar, the sound did not occur anymore.

Thanks for this we had our NX300h looked at today by the Lexus dealer and they put foam between the strut tower and the bracket after we changed the struts. I’m going to have to take that area apart and tighten it myself I guess. Lexus needs a TSIB for this ASAP or a recall
. The technicians have no clue about this problem.
Old 07-09-22, 10:27 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Received 235 Likes on 112 Posts

I brought ours in today and even gave the advisor screenshots on this and sent him the link to this thread to show the tech. They said we need a driver front strut. The odd thing about the noise is after 49ish mph or at highway speeds it doesn’t matter how big of a dip we hit, the noise does not occur. But literally backing out or pulling into the driveway the noise is present. Smooth roads the noise can be heard.

Maybe it’s a bad strut mount or something, I guess we will see if the strut fixes it.
Old 07-23-22, 09:43 AM
504GSF
Intermediate

Just had the strut assembly replaced and guess what. Noise is still there. Dealership gave me a RX to drive and ordered a motor mount now.

I still think it’s the bolt under the cowl but they assured me it’s not. Guess we will see on Tuesday when the part comes in. 🙄
Old 07-29-22, 09:10 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Update: they also changed one of the motor mounts and the noise was gone for all of 2 hours. Now it’s back again. I’m starting to think they didn’t even check under the cowl like I asked them to.

Clearly the strut was not blown, and the strut mount was not bad. And neither was the motor mount.
Old 08-09-22, 07:34 PM
504GSF
Intermediate

Update 3: It was the “damper” under the cowl causing the noise. After bringing the car back for the 3rd time they finally fixed it with the original repair I suggested.
chezgk (08-10-22)
Old 08-10-22, 02:04 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 504GSF
Update 3: It was the “damper” under the cowl causing the noise. After bringing the car back for the 3rd time they finally fixed it with the original repair I suggested.
Glad you got it sorted out. Hope they put some blue thread lock on the studs as well. It's been 4 years since I threadlocked mine, and the noise fortunately hasn't come back. Cheers
504GSF (08-10-22)
Old 01-29-23, 04:24 AM
Lexsim
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 504GSF
Hi 504GSF, would you have a picture of this area / part? My car has been into the dealer 4 times and they can’t find the source of the noise. They’ve replaced one strut mount already.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Creaking noise driver side suspension only at low speed when turning and down bump