NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Creaking noise driver side suspension only at low speed when turning and down bump

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-19, 01:59 PM
apwdweb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Creaking noise driver side suspension only at low speed when turning and down bump

Hi, Hoping to see if anyone has had experience with this on their 2015 NX Fsport. For the past month i've started to hear a clear creaking noise from my front drivers side suspension as i back down my driveway and turn the wheel to the right. The noise occurs as the front driver side wheel rolls off the driveway to the main road (during the period where our driveway has a steep decline of 4 inches where the driveway and road meet). It is louder when i back the car out in the morning. however after some driving and returning back to the driveway to recreate the issue, it is noticeably quieter. The noise is still there but only about 10-15% of the creaking that i hear when i left earlier. Park the car and start again the next day and the problem starts all over. Even stranger, this noise is not audible at all when driving down the street and hitting potholes or bumps of any kind at other speeds, just very low speeds.

Local dealership wants to charge me $150 to diagnose the vehicle. thought i'd ask the board for their experience. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-19, 12:26 AM
windwalker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2017 NX with 54000km made creaking noise when steering to the right in parking speed. I left my car at the dealer yesterday and they replaced the strut mount for both front suspensions which eliminated the noise. They didn't charge me 150 since my car is still under warranty. Hopefully this helps.
Old 12-09-19, 07:27 PM
apwdweb
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. really appreciate the perspective. The noise went away with some rain in our area, and stayed away for a good 5 days but after 5 days of drier weather the creaking noise came back... strange. any other ideas from the board would be appreciated.

I tried parking the car and pushing down on the driver side of the car - no noise. something to do with turning the wheel before the noise is made.
Old 01-02-20, 06:25 PM
apwdweb
Driver School Candidate

Hopefully this helps someone on the board if they have the same issue i had. I ended up taking the car in. Turns out it's a common issue with NX vehicles. The sound seems like it's coming from the driver side suspension system but the techs identified several bolts that hold down some kind of bar underneath the windshield cowl (sorry I'm not too technical) as the culprit. After a few turns of the wrench on the bolts that hold down the bar, the sound did not occur anymore.
The following users liked this post:
chezgk (01-02-20)
Old 01-02-20, 08:51 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by apwdweb
Hopefully this helps someone on the board if they have the same issue i had. I ended up taking the car in. Turns out it's a common issue with NX vehicles. The sound seems like it's coming from the driver side suspension system but the techs identified several bolts that hold down some kind of bar underneath the windshield cowl (sorry I'm not too technical) as the culprit. After a few turns of the wrench on the bolts that hold down the bar, the sound did not occur anymore.
Mine manifested in clicking over bumps rather than creaking. Attaching some photos of mine from late 2018 below to help explain your point.

Last edited by chezgk; 01-03-20 at 12:57 AM.
apwdweb (01-04-20)
Old 01-04-20, 05:59 AM
apwdweb
Driver School Candidate

The pictures are very helpful thanks chezgk. unfortunately I've suffered the same demise. lots of potholes and crap roads where i drive and it seems we both had the same issue. Thanks for posting this. Any chance you could share a quick overview of removing all these parts (cowl, arm, etc). to get to the bolts that needed tightening? i tried googling for some instructions but came up empty and (while i hope not to but) might need to repair this in the future. If you know of a good youtube video that shows how to do this, i'd be very interested. Thanks again for sharing!
Old 01-04-20, 08:40 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

The pictures are very helpful thanks chezgk. unfortunately I've suffered the same demise. lots of potholes and crap roads where i drive and it seems we both had the same issue. Thanks for posting this. Any chance you could share a quick overview of removing all these parts (cowl, arm, etc). to get to the bolts that needed tightening? i tried googling for some instructions but came up empty and (while i hope not to but) might need to repair this in the future. If you know of a good youtube video that shows how to do this, i'd be very interested. Thanks again for sharing!
I've done so in another thread, come to think of it. Quoting it below:

Does your unit have Yamaha lateral dampers like the F-Sport's? If so, you might want to check if they loosened themselves up. Mine did, and I only found out after spending 4 digits on suspension parts. This involves removing wiper arms and taking the cowl apart. The noise pertinent to this was a mid/high-pitched metal-to-metal sound (similar to the sound a shock absorber makes when you fully compress it by hand or when you tap the butt of a screwdriver on your car's lower arms). If you don't have lateral dampers, it might still be worth checking out since there are 10 M6 bolts mounting the cowl to the vehicle body. The cowl is also sandwiched by an M10 bolt coming out of the black plate attached to each front strut ( lower half of black plate visible when you open the hood). Any one of these loose would produce annoying noises at every bit of chassis/body flex.

EDIT: GO EASY ON THE M6 BOLTS WHEN TIGHTENING. THEY ARE ZINC BOLTS AND BREAK EASILY. MINE DID. I ordered stainless steel M6 bolts and washers from Amazon to replace all of them.

Partial instructions from TRAV4.net

Photo from JP-Carparts to guide you beyond TRAV4's instructions:

Some photos from my project:

Black plate:

Dismantled cowl:

Hope this helps you.
Old 01-04-20, 05:36 PM
apwdweb
Driver School Candidate

much appreciated Chezgk! This is a great guide.
Old 01-05-20, 08:06 AM
yertua
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I have the same problem as you, apwdweb, on my 2015 nx f-sport. Were you able to fix the creaking sound using the method mentioned above? Thanks
Old 01-05-20, 08:09 AM
apwdweb
Driver School Candidate

Hi Yertua, mine was fixed by dealership before i was able to use Chezgk's guide above. so i didn't do the repair myself but the dealership indicated it was a bolt under the cowl that was the issue. seems very similar to chezgk's previous issue.
yertua (01-05-20)
Old 01-05-20, 12:07 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Now I am wondering if my 2019 has this same issue? I am lowered on RS-R springs and have been told it is the strut mounts but I just can't believe that. I have even thought it may be the springs themselves making the noise. I too, like the OP only hear it when turning the wheel left to right and very slow speeds or even stopped. Once the speed increases I don't here it, although I am sure the noise is still there you just can't hear it over the noise the engine makes.
Old 01-05-20, 04:57 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Happy to help. I must add that I put blue threadlock on the 10 M6 bolts that hold the metal cowl in place and the 2 M10 nuts that hold the Yamaha lateral damper in place.

This is a step worth taking, should you need to tighten those nuts and bolts again in the future.
Old 01-06-20, 05:37 AM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm also hearing this tapping noise, but I hear it when I'm driving fairly quick down the road. It's also only happening on the driverside so I'm guessing it's this. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this repair seems a bit complicated.
Old 01-06-20, 03:35 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NudleBoy
I'm also hearing this tapping noise, but I hear it when I'm driving fairly quick down the road. It's also only happening on the driverside so I'm guessing it's this. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this repair seems a bit complicated.
It just sounds complicated but it isn't really that bad.
  1. Mark wiper positions with tape.
  2. Remove tiny trim from each of the windshield's lower corners. (clips)
  3. Remove wipers. (1 nut each)
  4. Yank black plastic cowl up. (a bunch of clips)
From there, you can already access the Yamaha damper's nuts without having to remove the wiper motor assembly and metal lower cowl. Cheers
yertua (01-08-20)
Old 01-06-20, 09:19 PM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk
It just sounds complicated but it isn't really that bad.
  1. Mark wiper positions with tape.
  2. Remove tiny trim from each of the windshield's lower corners. (clips)
  3. Remove wipers. (1 nut each)
  4. Yank black plastic cowl up. (a bunch of clips)
From there, you can already access the Yamaha damper's nuts without having to remove the wiper motor assembly and metal lower cowl. Cheers
Sounds easy enough, easier than most repairs actually. Thanks!

It seems like the noise went away. Was there in the morning during my drive to work but then was gone in the afternoon. Maybe it was just ice on my car.

Quick Reply: Creaking noise driver side suspension only at low speed when turning and down bump