NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Carbon Build-Up on Intake Valves... 60,000Miles+

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 05:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Rules of thumb for me is when the car is out of warranty, I sometimes go up or down one grade in viscosity but never a big jump like from a 5 weight to 50.
The following users liked this post:
olgzr (01-17-20)
Old 01-17-20, 07:45 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,686 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
Generally speaking as long as you avoid short distance trips and driving around with a cold engine as much as possible and change your oil very often (more than 5000 miles...) You're not going to experience much buildup.

0w20 has been proven to cause extra blowby (and carbon buildup) so as long as you avoid using it, I think the intake ports will look clean well past 60k miles.
That is interesting - what is a consumer to do when you are being asked to put the oil suggested by the manufacturer? It seems they are all going toward that grade....Maybe they want our engine to build carbon to make more money out of us? (lol)
Old 01-17-20, 11:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
That is interesting - what is a consumer to do when you are being asked to put the oil suggested by the manufacturer? It seems they are all going toward that grade....Maybe they want our engine to build carbon to make more money out of us? (lol)
Just do what the manufacturer suggests. Everything that poster has said here is entirely his own "opinion" with no evidence to back up anything he's saying. Don't listen to him, listen to the manufacturer of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
olgzr (01-18-20), rVague (01-18-20)
Old 01-17-20, 11:59 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
"... 0w20 has been proven to cause extra blowby (and carbon buildup) ..."
Please provide data to prove 5W-whatever is better than specified 0W-20 and the data that proves that 0W-20 to cause extra blow-by. Without concrete data, it is all just opinion/speculation and fantasy, that only can cost big $$ when/if your car engine suffers major failure and dealer declines warranty service.
Old 01-17-20, 03:52 PM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
The thicker oil will only maintain a better film strength for as long as the oil additive package which was blended into the oil will allow for.

Bottom line - 5w40 oil is still going to be better than 0w20 no matter what. But if you're using thicker oil which is actually proven to have real world fuel dilution fighting properties that is absolutely the way to go.

While I don't know exactly how hot the NX300 runs, I imagine the temperatures are reasonable; but... remember that the oil goes through the turbo which is then subjected to insane temperatures. Due to this fact alone I would not hesitate to go thicker than 5w40 during warmer weather.
Don't use just any 5w40. Many 40 wts have a higher sulfated ash content, which may contribute to carbon buildup in direct injection engines. Mobil 1 ESP oils have a low SA content, but they're expensive.
Old 01-17-20, 04:24 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,263 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Originally Posted by Moisture View Post
"... 0w20 has been proven to cause extra blowby (and carbon buildup) ..."
Please provide data to prove 5W-whatever is better than specified 0W-20 and the data that proves that 0W-20 to cause extra blow-by. Without concrete data, it is all just opinion/speculation and fantasy, that only can cost big $$ when/if your car engine suffers major failure and dealer declines warranty service.
There are plenty more were that came from. Almost like, when it rains it pours. Perhaps if the expert used "Thicker" in every sentence it would be more convincing? Isn't that something the refinery places in the additive package, a thickner?

Besides, we all know the manual specs out how thick of oil to use; newb looks for 5T50 (T is for 'Thickness'), but can't find it; goes to ebay and it's not there either. Dam! Well when I do find it; I'll fill the crankcase full and all my deposits will go away! LMAO!

Is it raining trolls? Is that possible? NO clue what this cats motive is but there is a lot bad advice being given to people who know nothing about cars and it's just wrong to post as if they are the SME purely for sake of entertainment. Especially when they have never even worked on a car!!!!
This thread should be deleted along with OP!

Last edited by 2013FSport; 01-17-20 at 04:27 PM. Reason: SME subject matter expert
Old 01-17-20, 10:49 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts

Just curious, if carbon build up on NX are common because it's turbo?
Old 01-18-20, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by websurfer
I wouldn’t come to the conclusion that it’s common at all...
Old 01-18-20, 04:12 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Simplistic explanation: Carbon build-up happens when sump oil via PCV is directed to intake manifold (why, is completely different explanation) and ended up on the back of intake valves, where it is baked on due to high temperature. It happens gradually. Gas can wash it off, but with direct gasoline injection in cylinder, gas does not come via intake valves anymore. This is complete irrelevant to turbo.
NX engine has injectors in intake manifold as well as for direct injection. This should help to minimize carbon build-up.
Old 01-18-20, 04:17 PM
sjw91
Driver

No, direct injection engines have had issues with or without turbos. In port-injected engines, gasoline and detergents flow over the valves on the way to the combustion chamber and keep them clean. With direct injection, fuel is injected directly into the cylinder and doesn't clean the valves. Motor oils that meet Dexos 1 Gen 2 are supposed to have additives to prevent carbon buildup. Time will tell...
Old 01-18-20, 04:19 PM
sjw91
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Simplistic explanation: Carbon build-up happens when sump oil via PCV is directed to intake manifold (why, is completely different explanation) and ended up on the back of intake valves, where it is baked on due to high temperature. It happens gradually. Gas can wash it off, but with direct gasoline injection in cylinder, gas does not come via intake valves anymore. This is complete irrelevant to turbo.
NX engine has injectors in intake manifold as well as for direct injection. This should help to minimize carbon build-up.
Sorry. Apparently I was typing at the same time you were.
Old 01-19-20, 06:36 PM
hoartgoart
"Moisture" posting under another ID. I am banned.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjw91
No, direct injection engines have had issues with or without turbos. In port-injected engines, gasoline and detergents flow over the valves on the way to the combustion chamber and keep them clean. With direct injection, fuel is injected directly into the cylinder and doesn't clean the valves. Motor oils that meet Dexos 1 Gen 2 are supposed to have additives to prevent carbon buildup. Time will tell...
That's true, but turbo engines indirectly add more stress to oil due to high heat and rpms seen inside the turbo unit. The manual suggests to idle for a moment to let the turbos cool after hard driving. From my understanding it is the ability of the additives inside your oil to fight break down which leads to consequent carbon deposits.
Old 01-20-20, 03:20 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

most mechanics I have talked with recommend changing oil more frequently with turbo engines...like 3-5k miles
Old 01-20-20, 03:58 PM
hoartgoart
"Moisture" posting under another ID. I am banned.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just do what the manufacturer suggests.
the manufacturer also suggested that the "sealed transmissions are lifetime" which any good mechanic calls BS on. So I'm not led to believe everything the manf. "Recommends"

Old 01-20-20, 04:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hoartgoart
the manufacturer also suggested that the "sealed transmissions are lifetime" which any good mechanic calls BS on. So I'm not led to believe everything the manf. "Recommends"
The issue is the warranty.

Quick Reply: Carbon Build-Up on Intake Valves... 60,000Miles+