NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Top Tier Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 10:30 AM
tcanthony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Tier Gas

So I've had my vehicle around 2 weeks now and everybody keeps telling me to stay away from gas stations such as Speedway, Sam's Club, Sheetz or any that is not top tier. I'm in NC so in my area is primarily Speedways. I've been sticking to Shell only but I feel that gas burn as fast as any other stations with the additives. Which stations do you recommend, the only top tier near me are Shell, Exxon and BP
Old 12-20-19, 12:55 PM
Jezza819
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, Sam's Club, Speedway, Quik Trip are my primary gas stations and have been for many years. I've had my 2020 NX for about 3 weeks now and before it I had a '17 IS 200t that also burned gas from the same stations and I never noticed any difference. My personal opinion on gas has always been to buy it at a place that pumps a lot of gas. I tend to avoid these rural pumps at convenience stores that might have only 4 pumps if that. I think your chances of getting either stale gas or plain bad gas goes up there. The Speedways and Quik Trips pump A LOT of gas.
Old 12-20-19, 01:01 PM
osea23
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fill up at my local Costco as their gas is top tier (and usually they have the lowest prices). Arco is also a great choice but I tend to use them less because they only take cash and debit (with a fee) in my area. You can use this page to find the top tier gas brands. Use Gasbuddy to find the cheapest stations that correspond with the list and go from there. Top tier gas doesn't mean your fuel burns less fast, it just means there are more detergents in the system, keeping the engine cleaner for longer compared to non Top Tier brands.
Old 12-20-19, 01:13 PM
tcanthony
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much. Before I had my Lexus, Speedway or Sam's were always my go to. But people claim the top tier have better additives. But I'm not about to continue to drive all over town for a particular gas station when a Speedway is 2 minutes away from me.
Old 12-20-19, 01:22 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

I use a lot of Sheetz gas. There is one right around the corner from my house. But recently I have started using Harris Teeter. They actually have an 89 octane that is 100% gas and no ethanol. Sure, it is more expensive, but it makes the turbo engines run so much better. I run it in my 2019 NX and the 2017 RC my wife owns. They even tend to get a tad better mileage too. If I am in a rush though, Sheetz gets the nod, or BP. I tend to stay away from most other places. But that's just me.
Old 12-21-19, 05:44 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Costco. exclusively and for years. It is, as I type, $2.75 in Federal Way, WA and $3.79 Shell downtown Seattle. Yep.
Costco is Kirkland gas. Look it up. Top Tier, small refinery.
Old 12-22-19, 01:36 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Just to refresh:
None of gas companies make their own gasoline. They purchase gasoline from several large refineries and add their proprietary mix of detergents. Costco gas as good as gas from Shell or BP. Top tier gasoline considered from Shell, BP, Amoco and couple of others. The rest, like Philips 66, Speedway, etc. are not top, but second tier.
Old 12-22-19, 02:37 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

non ethnol gas, that would be sweet....I remember when I had to switch to 10% ethanol or whatever it is I immediately lost 2mpg avg in my truck...was very easy to notice.
Old 12-22-19, 04:16 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
non ethnol gas, that would be sweet....I remember when I had to switch to 10% ethanol or whatever it is I immediately lost 2mpg avg in my truck...was very easy to notice.

oh yeah, and winter blend fuel is even worse. at least in our area.
Old 12-25-19, 09:10 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...h-extra-price/

Old 12-26-19, 07:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tcanthony
So I've had my vehicle around 2 weeks now and everybody keeps telling me to stay away from gas stations such as Speedway, Sam's Club, Sheetz or any that is not top tier. I'm in NC so in my area is primarily Speedways. I've been sticking to Shell only but I feel that gas burn as fast as any other stations with the additives. Which stations do you recommend, the only top tier near me are Shell, Exxon and BP
Top Tier gasoline was developed in 2004 by a group of auto manufacturers to go beyond the EPA's minimum standard for detergent additives to better protect increasingly sophisticated engines from carbon buildup and deposits on the intake valves. I have owned many forced induction engine vehicles and a few of the German car mechanics have told me to use Shell V-power or after I had some issues with carbon build up. This is especially true with direct injection engines and turbocharged engines which runs hotter in certain areas, Chervon is suppose to be a good gas as well but I have never used it.
Old 10-31-22, 10:28 AM
kateekat
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Jezza819
LOL, Sam's Club, Speedway, Quik Trip are my primary gas stations and have been for many years. I've had my 2020 NX for about 3 weeks now and before it I had a '17 IS 200t that also burned gas from the same stations and I never noticed any difference. My personal opinion on gas has always been to buy it at a place that pumps a lot of gas. I tend to avoid these rural pumps at convenience stores that might have only 4 pumps if that. I think your chances of getting either stale gas or plain bad gas goes up there. The Speedways and Quik Trips pump A LOT of gas.
The higher the octane, the lighter the fuel so it does burn faster and you get less mpg.