NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Not Happy With RS-R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 06:53 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Not Happy With RS-R Springs

So, my car has been lowered since about week two of ownership. After having it aligned a few days later it developed what sounds like a popping noise in the front end. But it was only when turning the steering wheel left or right and very slow speeds, or even stopped. Driving at normal speeds, nothing. Had it checked by the tech who did the springs, and by Lexus. Was told it was the strut mounts. I was told it was the new angle of the struts due to the lowering springs. No big deal, we knew what it was. Over 9k miles later the noise drives me nuts. I know what it is and my OCD won't allow me to ignore it. The noise hasn't gotten worse, it just drives me crazy. I have even contemplated putting the stock springs back on. But the car looks so much better lowered, I just don't want to. I have read some reviews about RS-R on the IS and RC and even some more NX's and they experience the same thing in those as what I hear. Is there another company out there that won't make this noise? I have lowered many other vehicles in the past and never once heard this. I usually use Eibach springs but they don't make springs for the NX. In fact, all I could find was RS-R.
Old 12-20-19, 07:57 PM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Can we see a pic or two of your lowered NX?
Old 12-21-19, 06:36 AM
2017FSport
Advanced

Old 12-23-19, 01:00 AM
aa146
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You can try Megan Racing as another option - https://meganracing.com/suspension/t...200t-2017-4260, I have no experience with these springs so I can't say if you'll run into the same issue.

If you have a larger budget, I'd recommend RS-R coilovers - https://www.rs-r.com/product/lexus-n...oilovers-2015/
I have it lowered about 2.25 all the way around and they feel just about as comfortable as stock. I've had them on for over 1.5 years and about 8k miles, no problems whatsoever.

Last edited by aa146; 12-23-19 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-23-19, 04:59 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

well, they said it is the strut mounts.

But the fact they are worn at that mileage is disconcerting. I would not use lowering springs period.

What about coilovers?
Old 12-23-19, 03:51 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moisture
well, they said it is the strut mounts.

But the fact they are worn at that mileage is disconcerting. I would not use lowering springs period.

What about coilovers?
They aren't worn at all. The car only had about 500 miles on it when it was done and it "popped" then. They are probably a little worn now with almost 10k miles on them but it has done it since it had 500 miles. So I can't see them being worn. I am not sure it is the strut mounts at all actually but instead the spring itself making the noise. It doesn't drive any different than stock. And it looks so much better in my opinion. That's why I lowered it. I have lowered most of the vehicles I have owned, except for the 2 trucks I lifted. Now that, I will never do again.
Old 12-23-19, 06:48 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017FSport
They aren't worn at all. The car only had about 500 miles on it when it was done and it "popped" then. They are probably a little worn now with almost 10k miles on them but it has done it since it had 500 miles. So I can't see them being worn. I am not sure it is the strut mounts at all actually but instead the spring itself making the noise. It doesn't drive any different than stock. And it looks so much better in my opinion. That's why I lowered it. I have lowered most of the vehicles I have owned, except for the 2 trucks I lifted. Now that, I will never do again.
I'm not sure if this would help but have you considered the possibility of springs sitting the wrong way on the rubber insulators that keep it from contacting the lower metal spring perch? I've gone through RS-R and Tanabe springs and have had both shops do on my behalf and myself DIY installation and removal of spring sets. Something similar happened to me once, where one of the two front springs seemed to be in "limbo" about where it wants to sit. I ended up having to dismantle the strut assembly and re-seat the spring on the lower insulator to fix it.
Old 12-26-19, 07:30 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

I actually have considered that very thing. I have also thought that maybe RS-R and other companies use a different metal, some stronger/weaker than others, to actually make the springs? Maybe, idk? It isn't having an adverse effect at all, I just don't like the noise. But like I said, you only hear it at very slow speeds or stopped. I really wish Eibach made springs for the NX. I would switch them in a heartbeat.
Old 01-07-20, 10:49 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 778 Likes on 482 Posts

So you honestly don't notice a difference in ride quality at all from stock to the RSR springs? That's good. I'd really like to do this to my wife's NX but I know immediately if it was making that noise she's notice and then I'd never hear the end of it.... and have it reutnred back to stock. It looks nicer lowered though. No issues with bump stops or bottoming out...etc?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 01-07-20, 04:28 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Originally Posted by nigel821
So you honestly don't notice a difference in ride quality at all from stock to the RSR springs? That's good. I'd really like to do this to my wife's NX but I know immediately if it was making that noise she's notice and then I'd never hear the end of it.... and have it reutnred back to stock. It looks nicer lowered though. No issues with bump stops or bottoming out...etc?

Thanks,
-Nigel
It does ride a touch different than stock, but not bad really. It isn't harsh or bumpy being lowered. But it does get a lil more sporty if you click it into Sport+ mode. I have never bottomed it out or hit the bump stops at all. With the exception of the noise, I would do it again if I had another NX. But I would look for alternative springs to the RS-R.