NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX - Active Variable Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 02:34 PM
foxwiz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default NX - Active Variable Suspension

I am thinking of purchasing a 2020 NX 300 F Sport, but the dealer doesn't have on the lot a vehicle with Active Variable Suspension, but would have to trade or deal with another dealer for it. Has anyone used it and if so, is it worth the extra money?
Old 01-26-20, 04:18 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes, I have it on my 2019 F Sport AWD. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. You get regular mode, Sport and Sport+ mode and you can custom tune a mode to your liking. I haven't done that yet and probably never will. Depending on where I am driving I either use regular mode or Sport+. Regular mode is more for daily driving and commuting while Sport+ makes it like a whole lot funner to drive, but the suspension can get a lil harsh and I am lowered on springs too, so it's definitely stiffer.
Old 01-26-20, 08:57 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017FSport
Yes, I have it on my 2019 F Sport AWD. Definitely worth the money in my opinion. You get regular mode, Sport and Sport+ mode and you can custom tune a mode to your liking. I haven't done that yet and probably never will. Depending on where I am driving I either use regular mode or Sport+. Regular mode is more for daily driving and commuting while Sport+ makes it like a whole lot funner to drive, but the suspension can get a lil harsh and I am lowered on springs too, so it's definitely stiffer.
I like AVS. Create a custom mode with sport throttle and normal suspension. Still fun to drive but not so harsh.
Old 01-26-20, 11:55 PM
tel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AVS is a must as it totally refines the standard F-Sport suspension in D-Mode resulting in far less bump-thump.
When I first drove my car I thought the tyre pressures had been set too low
Tel
Old 01-27-20, 06:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by foxwiz
I am thinking of purchasing a 2020 NX 300 F Sport, but the dealer doesn't have on the lot a vehicle with Active Variable Suspension, but would have to trade or deal with another dealer for it. Has anyone used it and if so, is it worth the extra money?
If you find the standard F Sport suspension too harsh, then you should get the AVS. If you like to corner flat and still have a comfortable ride on bumpy roads, then AVS is a plus. AVS is like having your cake and eating it too, best of both world.
Old 01-27-20, 10:50 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would not have purchased an F-Sport without AVS. Mine has it, and while I think some of the difference when it's active might be subjective, I hardly ever drive without it.
Old 01-27-20, 06:14 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by fredw1
I would not have purchased an F-Sport without AVS. Mine has it, and while I think some of the difference when it's active might be subjective, I hardly ever drive without it.
It's always active, in all modes/settings it is dynamically changing the damping to combat pitch/roll.
Old 01-27-20, 06:56 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
It's always active, in all modes/settings it is dynamically changing the damping to combat pitch/roll.
Thanks. I thought that the noise I heard when switching yo S+ was the dampers kicking in, but it must be something else. Any ideas?
Old 01-27-20, 07:05 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks. I thought that the noise I heard when switching yo S+ was the dampers kicking in, but it must be something else. Any ideas?
S+ tightens up the suspension. It’s noticeably stiffer IMO. Especially on imperfect roads.
Old 01-27-20, 08:14 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

There shouldn't be any noise switching from S to S+...the only change is that the dampening range is smaller, basically they're always a bit stiffer. So in Normal and S they say have a range from 1 to 10 in dampening stiffness available but in S+ they go from say 3 to 10. Generally they stiffen up under acceleration/braking/cornering to keep the vehicle more level and soften up for just driving straight.

(This is all confirmed from techinfo documentation I have)

Last edited by no1SomeGuy; 01-27-20 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-28-20, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am guessing the NX's AVS does not utilize the front camera to ID potholes and road imperfections and adjust the suspension accordingly.
Old 01-28-20, 06:01 AM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am guessing the NX's AVS does not utilize the front camera to ID potholes and road imperfections and adjust the suspension accordingly.
Lol I wish. The only thing that adjusts to potholes is my *** when I stiffen up during my "oh *****" reaction.
Old 01-28-20, 07:11 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by The G Man
Definitely not...
Old 01-30-20, 09:45 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
There shouldn't be any noise switching from S to S+...the only change is that the dampening range is smaller, basically they're always a bit stiffer. So in Normal and S they say have a range from 1 to 10 in dampening stiffness available but in S+ they go from say 3 to 10. Generally they stiffen up under acceleration/braking/cornering to keep the vehicle more level and soften up for just driving straight.

(This is all confirmed from techinfo documentation I have)
Thanks for the extra info. When I switch to S+, there is a slight thump-thump sound. Anyone else with AVS hear this?
Old 01-30-20, 02:44 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 157 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for the extra info. When I switch to S+, there is a slight thump-thump sound. Anyone else with AVS hear this?
What you are hearing is the fake exhaust sound turning on. You can turn that off on the dash and you won't hear.

Quick Reply: NX - Active Variable Suspension