NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Extended Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 12:59 PM
foxwiz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Question

I purchased a new NX 300 F Sport the other day and asked for the 10/100 Platinum warranty. They gave me a pamphlet on the warranty information, but there was no mention of Lexus on it. After further investigation, the company that offers the warranty is called "The Mechanic". The company behind it is called Assurant. When I spoke with the service manager, he said the warranty can be used at Lexus so I originally thought it was the Lexus warranty.
When I went to the dealer this morning, I spoke with the manager and they said they have used this company for 15 years and they are pretty good.

Question: Has anyone used this company for warranty work and if so, were they good?

Old 01-30-20, 04:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I never heard of Assurant before, you need to be careful when buying non-Lexus warranty, your dealer might take it but other Lexus dealer might not have such a good relationship with Assurant. Your dealer is pushing this Assurant company probably because the dealer has a higher profit margin with Assurant but you want to look out for your own interest. Sometimes these aftermarket warranty companies will withhold claims until they send a an adjustor to the dealer which can take day.

I have use this internet company before;

http://fd-warranty.com/
They sell Lexus warranty at a discount, give Troy a call, its a pretty painless transaction.
Old 01-30-20, 10:41 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought the extended platinum warranty thru lexus. forget the actual company...but the 2 times I have taken my 17nx dealer says cant replicate problem but fixed anyways...thought that was awesome as not wasting my time and wonder if had anything to do with my extended warranty.
Old 01-30-20, 12:31 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,275 Likes on 985 Posts

If you do a forum search on extended warranty, you'll see that genuine Lexus warranty is the way to go. Many other warranties are actually service/maintenance contracts that involve copays, deductibles and a lot of "not covered" small type. Many stories of bad experiences. It's my understanding that the genuine Lexus Platinum warranty can be purchased anytime, as long as you are still covered by original factory warranty, which you are. I suggest calling a different dealer for info and a quote.
Old 01-31-20, 06:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree, unless you want to roll the extended warranty payments into your loan, there is little incentive to buy the extended warranty now. I would wait until your 4 year warranty is almost up before buying the warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by The G Man:
Dkaplan (01-16-23), swfla (01-31-20)
Old 01-31-20, 07:21 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,275 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I agree, unless you want to roll the extended warranty payments into your loan, there is little incentive to buy the extended warranty now. I would wait until your 4 year warranty is almost up before buying the warranty.
I agree about waiting. The price will be higher , but weighed against the chance that your car gets totaled, stolen or sold, I'd wait. You may also find the car so reliable after 4 years, you won't want the warranty.
Old 01-31-20, 12:21 PM
gulshan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some tips on extended warranty since I have good experience on this from my other high maintenance cars (bmw etc). Sure you can get the lexus warranty from lexus but you can get a better deal for the same money if you went non lexus. You could even just go to any Toyota dealer and get their bumper to bumper warranty (toyota's own or third party they sell). By good deal i mean say lexus offers you 3 year/36k miles for $1,500 .. for the same price toyota dealer may offer you 4 year/48k miles. (same bumper to bumper)
Old 01-31-20, 03:09 PM
WhatYaGot
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want to get a warranty, then read the link below. No one ever asks what happens if the 3rd party warranty company goes out of business? Looks like you have a very expensive piece of worthless paper in your hands. Manufacture warranties are solid till the contract expires. BTW, I also used Troy for two GENUINE Lexus warranties

https://clark.com/cars/extended-car-warranty/
The following users liked this post:
swfla (01-31-20)
Old 02-04-20, 06:48 AM
foxwiz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks for all the replies

I want to thank everyone for their replies but I have decided to cancel "The Mechanic" policy and have my money returned. My wife has an RX 450h with 30k miles on it and we were also thinking of getting a policy for her. With the cost of purchasing REAL Lexus warranties for two vehicles, we decided it would be better to put the money in the bank for later in case of an issue. I am guessing that two policies would be over $5,500. That is alot of repairs which may not be needed.
The following 4 users liked this post by foxwiz:
Dkaplan (06-01-24), Lexus22563 (01-19-23), swfla (02-04-20), wthrman2 (02-04-20)