NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX difficult start for the last few months

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 08:24 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if the cold weather in Alberta has anything to do with it.
Old 03-04-20, 04:55 PM
ichitaka86
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rVague
I wonder if the cold weather in Alberta has anything to do with it.
I wish it was the temperature! It actually starts better when it is colder like -10 to -20. Maybe fuel doesn’t leak at that temperature?? Haha not sure.
Old 03-05-20, 12:57 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator, get them to change it cheers.
Old 03-05-20, 01:48 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Check these links (below). The fuel pump is another possible culprit in your car.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...15-nx200t.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/busin...rnd/index.html
Old 03-05-20, 09:03 PM
ichitaka86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Check these links (below). The fuel pump is another possible culprit in your car.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...15-nx200t.html
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/busin...rnd/index.html
My 2017 NX is not listed as the model that is affected from this. But maybe there is some relevance here?
The following users liked this post:
gooddawn (02-24-21)
Old 03-06-20, 04:07 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ichitaka86
My 2017 NX is not listed as the model that is affected from this. But maybe there is some relevance here?
Just because your car is not listed in recall does not mean it cannot have the same problem.
Old 03-06-20, 01:03 PM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I have experienced similar starting problems with my 2020 NX. Some days it just keeps turning over for a few seconds before finally starting to catch. However, it is fairly rare it does this. Wouldn't be surprised if they start adding more vehicles to the list of recalled fuel pumps...
Old 03-10-20, 07:19 PM
gooddawn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad that I checked the forum today. I've been having the same problem for the past few months and my dealership pretty much said there's nothing wrong with my vehicle either. I hadn't done as thorough a check as OP, but at least now I know how/where to narrow things down. I'm also driving a 2017 NX.
The following users liked this post:
Cookiemonster (09-11-24)
Old 03-11-20, 05:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Did Lexus update the fuel pump in the NX, if so, what model year did they do this on? Thanks.
Old 03-11-20, 04:09 PM
ichitaka86
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gooddawn
I'm so glad that I checked the forum today. I've been having the same problem for the past few months and my dealership pretty much said there's nothing wrong with my vehicle either. I hadn't done as thorough a check as OP, but at least now I know how/where to narrow things down. I'm also driving a 2017 NX.
Which area are you from? Also can you give us an update if anything is done to your vehicle in the near future?
Old 08-15-20, 11:49 AM
firetech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A reputable shop should be able to tap a fuel pressure gauge into the system and leave it in place for a few days. They would need to show you where the fuel pressure should be on the gauge and then have you watch the pressure readings on regular starts and to pay particular attention to the pressure when it has the starting issue. I have heard that these cars are very sensitive to voltage so I wouldnt discount a battery issue. The only thing that goes against that is the improvement in cold weather. Also, generally everything contracts in the cold so a leaky injector etc usually gets worse. Checking for leaky injectors, regulators or backflow check valves is relatively easy for a shop to check by doing a fuel pressure leak down test.
Old 02-24-21, 03:10 PM
Rushard
Driver School Candidate

Default L

It does not matter how long the vehicle sits. It happens if the vehicle has been sitting for 3-4 hours or 8-10 hours. Again, it is very random and inconsistent. I would say this difficult start happens about 20-30% of the starts.

My main problem is the dealership wouldn't accept these videos as proof for a problem. If they can't reproduce the same problem at the shop, they can't help me.
2010 lexus ls460 is doing the samething problem has been here 1 year now no fix it has been to lexus 6 time can't find the problem
Old 02-24-21, 04:17 PM
gooddawn
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which area are you from? Also can you give us an update if anything is done to your vehicle in the near future?
So sorry! I didn't realize there'd been a response. I live in Central Florida and the issue is still ongoing. It's been back to the dealer for service a number of times since last March. I failed to ask them about the fuel pump, but have made a note to myself to have them check at the next visit.
Old 02-24-21, 04:27 PM
LexMan2003
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

There are only 2 dealerships in the city I live in. I paid about $200 at one dealership already for the diagnosis. I am hesitant to try another dealership just to fork out another $200 and end up in the same situation I am in.

I tried Shell premium gas over a month now but not much of difference noticed. I do notice when I am pushing on accelerator there is some delay/hesitation but I am not sure if that is how it is with NX's 2.0L engines. Again, it is never about leaving overnight and starting after 12 hour or so. The difficult starting issue is so random. It can do this after 2 hours of resting or 12 hours of resting. What could it mean if there is some delay/hesitation during acceleration?

To change a fuel pump, a Toyota dealership quoted about $1000 for the work.
When you say you "tried Shell premium", was it at a DIFFERENT gas station? If I were testing with different gas I would use a different gas station as well. Just a thought.
Old 02-24-21, 11:45 PM
Rushard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gooddawn
So sorry! I didn't realize there'd been a response. I live in Central Florida and the issue is still ongoing. It's been back to the dealer for service a number of times since last March. I failed to ask them about the fuel pump, but have made a note to myself to have them check at the next visit.
hi there im in Louisiana I recently have the valley plate leak resealed about 1 year its been now and after everything was put back together it had an engine code p1365 Camshaft Position Sensor c circuit open high/low took it to the dealership they said upon unplugging everything the wires at the Camshaft were pulled and the cam phaser so they put new connections on the wires check engine and drive issues went away but the hard to start issue stayed never went away its still doing it right now I also notice when I park on a incline going downward it does it more and also when its kinda muggy outside like that rainy type of day its does it alot but if its cold outside it almost never do it from cold start or when the car is already warm the problem comes when I let it sit until the temp needle rest at about the 3rd notch from cold and I go try to start it and its hell on wheels trying to start but once it start u can Kill it start it the second time it starts right up like its getting good fuel pressure the second time better than the first start idk its so frustrating the car has been to lexus of baton rouge 6 times of u find put anything please let me know 2010 lexus ls460 its so many people with this same problem I've seen it all over lexus forums and YouTube as well nobody can figure out what it is no check engine light for anyone thats having this issue I seen another guy on here have a 2010 ls460 same problem im having Google lexus p1364/p 1365 you'll read until u see his post and I commented on his as well he say he still haven't found a fix.

Last edited by Rushard; 02-24-21 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: NX difficult start for the last few months