NX difficult start for the last few months

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 12:15 PM
ViktorG
Driver

Received 190 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ichitaka86
Hello fellow NX owners,

I have 2017 NX that I have been enjoying but lately I am having some starting issues.
This difficult start is not always consistent so I cannot say when it is worse or better. Most time the car does start eventually but requires more cranking. Some bad days it does not even start as seen in the 3rd video but eventually can start up. It is definitely not related to temperature (where I live goes down to -20C) or the amount of fuel that is in my tank.

I have taken my car to a local dealership twice and they cannot figure out the problem as well. They think that it can be a battery problem or some moisture in the gas. They suggest that I get my gas from Shell instead of Esso. What they are saying at the dealership is if they can't reproduce the symptoms ie difficult start at the dealership they can't figure things out. They seem to scan codes only the last two time I visited them.

Now I turn to any of you guys who may have more insight in this matter since my dealership cannot diagnosis this problem. My guess is fuel pump related issue but I am no expert in this. If anyone has ideas please help me diagnosis this issue with me. I would really appreciate any comments.
Have seen direct injectors leaking down and causing hard start on a few occasions on these models. Not hard to diagnose. Look at the fuel pressure values with the Techstream after shutting the car off and see if the direct rail pressure drops quickly after shut down.
Old 02-28-21, 08:19 AM
canuckaudi
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how old is the battery? I have the same issue. Car will power on but won't start when cold. There is charge in the battery but not enough Amp to start it. Change the battery and start no problem. Try that and see.
Old 06-28-22, 12:59 PM
Kelvin163
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Hi, I am new in the group. Could you tell me what is the solution of the difficult start issue? I am the same situation on my car. Looking forward to hear back from you.
Thanks!
Old 06-28-22, 05:30 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelvin163
Hi, I am new in the group. Could you tell me what is the solution of the difficult start issue? I am the same situation on my car. Looking forward to hear back from you.
Thanks!
There is no solution.

My car has been doing this from new over the last 7 years. 2015 NX 200t.

Weeks in Lexus service, new fuel pump, new batteries, alternator checks, injector flushes, fuel checks and on and on. Thought it was due to cold weather but does it now in warm weather

I now think its an ecu issue.

I had a Nissan with an after market security system that cut fuel if it didn’t recognise the transponder. This is similar where the engine cranks and then it cuts out completely. If there are 2 keys in the car at the same time, this problem is worse.

Have also noticed at times that the keyless entry does not work until the car is locked and unlocked via the fob to reset the system.

Last edited by miop4000; 06-28-22 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-28-22, 06:54 PM
Kelvin163
3rd Gear

Oh, you pretty much replaced the whole fuel system and still have the long cranking start problem. It is really annoying!
Old 06-28-22, 07:00 PM
Kelvin163
3rd Gear

[QUOTE=ViktorG;11002225]Have seen direct injectors leaking down and causing hard start on a few occasions on these models. Not hard to diagnose. Look at the fuel pressure values with the Techstream after shutting the car off and see if the direct rail pressure drops quickly after shut down.[/QUOTE

Hi ViktorG,
I wonder you see more NX200t came in to your dealership have this issue?
Thanks.

Old 03-13-23, 10:59 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Anyone have a definitive solution on this yet? My 2016 that I've owned since new did this once a month or two ago, exactly the same as in OP's videos, thought it was battery (got a code for startability and the freeze frame data showed a really low battery voltage), so replaced that and it was good for a bit but just did it again today. It has been a little more hesitant on starts though for the last few months regardless, not super smooth. My current guess is fuel too (injectors or pump or something), but before I bring it to the dealer I'd like to have it more narrowed down. Vehicle is just over 6 years old and 37,000km on it, so shouldn't be plugs?
Old 03-13-23, 06:37 PM
d2k2vic
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone further up said camshaft position sensor, which is close to the issue my wife's car had with the same symptoms. However, it turned out to be a bad harness for the crankshaft position sensor instead. Different car and model, but same symptoms. Once I replaced the harness, the issue was gone. So I would also check the crankshaft position sensor, and the harness that connects it to the ECU; just a thought.
Old 03-14-23, 12:27 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

As my entry above, I’ve had this problem for 7 years since new (2015NX200t). Despite an excellent dealership checking the whole fuel system and replacing the fuel pump, it continued.

It has not happened for the last year after I swapped the remote.

I wonder whether it could be a faulty transponder issue, triggering a fuel cut out.

My old nissan alarm system would cut the fuel pump at start up if it identified a transponder issue as a security measure.

I decided to swap the remote after noting it never happened to my wife who has always used the credit card remote.

Old 03-14-23, 06:25 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
As my entry above, I’ve had this problem for 7 years since new (2015NX200t). Despite an excellent dealership checking the whole fuel system and replacing the fuel pump, it continued.

It has not happened for the last year after I swapped the remote.

I wonder whether it could be a faulty transponder issue, triggering a fuel cut out.

My old nissan alarm system would cut the fuel pump at start up if it identified a transponder issue as a security measure.

I decided to swap the remote after noting it never happened to my wife who has always used the credit card remote.
Does it with both our keys, so unlikely.

Interesting about the camshaft sensor, another good thing to scope out.
Old 02-22-24, 10:02 AM
v8vega
6th Gear

Having the same issue with my daughters 2015 NX200T. Random no start on first crank and then 2nd time or sometimes 3rd it will start and run normally. I'm beginning to suspect a fuel pressure drop when it shuts off. Dealer wants $250 for a diagnoses that will show them nothing, because you can't make it happen as its so random, so very reluctant to take this in. The fuel pump was changed under the Lexus recall in 2020 and a year after this began randomly, becoming progressively worse. Wonder of the pressure regulator has anything to do with it? I have a video which shows exactly what the posted videos show from 2020. Has anyone had any luck finding the solution?
Old 02-22-24, 03:54 PM
AMTMJ
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This could possibly be an indicator that the fuel pressure regulator is intermittently sticking or bypassing. Try allowing the fuel pump to prime for a few seconds before starting the car. Press the start switch twice without your foot on the brake and you should hear the fuel pump kick on to pre-pressurize the fuel line. After about 5 seconds, go ahead and depress the brake and hit the start switch to start the motor and confirm if it is operating normally. See if your problem goes away after trying this method over several starts. If so, then the fuel pressure regulator would be your first suspect.

The fuel pressure regulator is located inside the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank, specifically installed on the suction plate sub-assembly within the fuel pump housing. FYI - The replacement of the fuel pump cartridge for the recall would not have included the replacement of the regulator.
The following users liked this post:
Lexura16 (03-01-24)
Old 02-22-24, 10:41 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

[QUOTE=v8vega;11673705]Having the same issue with my daughters 2015 NX200T. Random no start on first crank and then 2nd time or sometimes 3rd it will start and run normally. I'm beginning to suspect a fuel pressure drop when it shuts off. Dealer wants $250 for a diagnoses that will show them nothing, because you can't make it happen as its so random, so very reluctant to take this in. The fuel pump was changed under the Lexus recall in 2020 and a year after this began randomly, becoming progressively worse. Wonder of the pressure regulator has anything to do with it? I have a video which shows exactly what the posted videos show from 2020. Has anyone had any luck finding the solution?[/QUOTe

I expected more from Lexus.

The problem is known and relates to a faulty fuel pump.

My 2015 200t had the problem for years and initially they did a parts cannon while it was under warranty. The excellent service advisor told me to buy a new car as the problem was intermittent and had them stumped.

Until… a recall was issued for the fuel pump.

My vin was listed as one of the effected vehicles but Lexus initially refused as they said the problem only occurred in cold weather and mine did not seem to be specific to the cold. Thanks to the dealer they finally replaced the pump.

4 years later and an additional 70,000kms, no further issues.

Old 03-01-24, 11:49 AM
Lexura16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe @AMTMJ is on the right track about fuel leaking back to tank from regulator, hence relieving pressure from the the fuel rail and harder starting the longer the intervals were between stops and starts.
Reminded me of my sister's Nissan which she bought new. After about a year or two of ownership she complained to me of hard starting which was not there when the vehicle was new. On a visit and stayover, I went out with her to her car the next day when she was to demonstrate to me the problem. As soon as she turned on the ignition, I could hear the fuel pump kicked in ( to charge up the system and pressurize the fuel rail ). I immediately told her not to crank the motor till the fuel pump stopped. Turned key to crank and the motor fired up right away. Explained to her what's behind the hard starts and to wait a few seconds for pump to charge if stop/start intervals were lengthy.
OP's clues: no problems with restarts if intervals were short. Inconsistent restarts after lengthy stops. Also why OP cannot replicate problem when at the dealership. Not knowing/familiar with the internals of the fuel regulator, I can only guess that a sealing component is seating OK at times and not completely seating/sealing at others.
FWIW, my winter vehicle a 2000 Acura RL has similar symptoms and after a few seconds of wait time, she fires up every time. My summer vehicle, a 2016 NX200T is all good so far, touch wood.
Also, why DIY'ers know to release pressure in fuel supply line carefully to prevent a face full of gas when working on it. Others before me had mentioned installing a pressure gauge in fuel line which would have shown a declining pressure profile with time and lead to eventual root cause. Sometimes we missed seeing the trees for the forest. Or is it the other way around. Cheers everyone.