2015 Lexus NX 200t Side Mirror Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 09:12 AM
Conthodar
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2015 Lexus NX 200t Side Mirror Replacement

Hey,
New to this forum. I would like to see if I could get some help with replacing a side view mirror on my wife's Lexus NX 200t. I am including pictures of the damage that happened to the mirror while backing out of the garage... oof. It seems like a pretty straightforward fix... if her mirror wasn't: auto-dimming and blindspot equipped.
I found the the full replacement on lexuspartsnow.com but it is a $500 replacement. All of the mechanics and glass itself are fine. Just a little mangled mess on the edge. Anyone know of a way or individual part that I could purchase to fix, or maybe i could buy the most basic housing unit and replace the guts of the new housing with my current ones.
Thanks!

Old 04-02-20, 03:25 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

you'd need that whole frame... pricey. if i were you and savvy and interested in saving dough, i'd disassemble everything, clean it up and polish it and glue that black plastic piece back together. can get that looking 95-97% new for $5 and 30 min of your time.

if you need it 100% perfect, such as a lease return situation, then buy the mirror used on ebay (doesn't matter what options it has) and just swap over the parts you need.

you'll need to pull the interior door panel off then its 3 screws holding the mirror to the door shell. and a wiring harness. pretty simple

then you pull the glass of the mirror (should pop off using a screwdriver) then there's screws holding the black frame and mirror outer shell then everything falls to pieces like a puzzle. install is reverse.
Old 05-28-23, 03:02 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Gents,

Sorry for posting to an old thread but my wife just did a similar "oops" to her baby 2017 NX200t on the passenger side, and I thought it better to continue this thread along.

Like here, only the frame is damaged (a bit more severely than @Conthodar with some pieces cracked off), but all of it still functions. There's no scratches on the painted cover, and to me it seems like a frame replacement will get it back to where it was. My question is it possible to do this without removing the mirror from the car door? Are there any instructions on how to dismantle the mirror? Video?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim
Old 05-29-23, 04:55 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You would be better off with purchasing a second hand or aftermarket new mirror frame on eBay, then do the replacing of the part yourself. This way you may end up with under $200-ish spend...

New - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/144991169202...3ABFBMpqHM9Yxi

New - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/155457762452...3ABFBMpqHM9Yxi

Old 06-05-23, 03:19 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

Default Mirror disassembly

Originally Posted by Jimsathome
Gents,

Sorry for posting to an old thread but my wife just did a similar "oops" to her baby 2017 NX200t on the passenger side, and I thought it better to continue this thread along.

Like here, only the frame is damaged (a bit more severely than @Conthodar with some pieces cracked off), but all of it still functions. There's no scratches on the painted cover, and to me it seems like a frame replacement will get it back to where it was. My question is it possible to do this without removing the mirror from the car door? Are there any instructions on how to dismantle the mirror? Video?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim
Yes. Go here
The following users liked this post:
Jimsathome (06-05-23)
Old 06-05-23, 08:12 AM
Jimsathome
Driver

Thanks for the reply and YouTube link.

The only issue I see from this video is he describes cutting off a plastic bit as he couldn't get to a "hidden" screw to remove the frame. (He didn't show that process) He said that screw keep the frame rigid in the wind but I don't know for sure if he cuts the same bit off the new frame and just lets it wobble in the wind.

If that's the case, it seems taking off the door panel and removing the mirror for disassembly is the only way to do this right.

I just ordered the Frame off eBay and it'll be at my mail drop before the end of the month. (It's coming from China.)

Thanks again for the post.
zozoramelu (06-11-23)
Old 06-05-23, 10:07 AM
zozoramelu
Driver

Default Yes

Thanks for the reply and YouTube link.

The only issue I see from this video is he describes cutting off a plastic bit as he couldn't get to a "hidden" screw to remove the frame. (He didn't show that process) He said that screw keep the frame rigid in the wind but I don't know for sure if he cuts the same bit off the new frame and just lets it wobble in the wind.

If that's the case, it seems taking off the door panel and removing the mirror for disassembly is the only way to do this right.

I just ordered the Frame off eBay and it'll be at my mail drop before the end of the month. (It's coming from China.)

Thanks again for the post.
I think you are right. That screw can be removed only if you remove the mirror base. But removing the mirror is not that complicated, there are lots of videos out there for that.
Basically, is removing the inside panel, disconnecting all the plugs, disconnecting the lock cables and then panel comes off. Of course, you need the proper tools for that....
Old 06-10-23, 01:20 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Cool Tools for the Job

My boys are asking what I want for Father's day so I just asked for a
Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool Set Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool Set
to remove parts of the door panel. I've got to check if I've got a 10mm magnetic socket to the mirror mounts.
zozoramelu (06-11-23)
Old 10-26-23, 11:27 AM
Jimsathome
Driver

I had to go and buy a small set of deep metric sockets for this task. I found a decent YouTube Video to follow, but summer got in the way and I somewhat forgot about it until September. I went looking for the video as I save it in my favorites, as it was exactly what I needed, but unfortunately the maker of the video had deleted his account and the video was gone. So I've been procrastinating ever since.

Today I found this one
which I think was the same video on his "new" channel (Started June 16, 2023). Now I should just get on with it.
Old 01-13-24, 01:39 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Hi Gents,

I thought I should tidy up this thread as I finally got around to repairing the passenger mirror on my wife's 2017 NX-200t. It took me much longer to complete than the YouTube Videos that I reviewed (numerous times) suggest, as this is my wife's car and I wanted my repair to be successful first try. (So no negative comments, like "we should have taken it to the dealer" were heard.)

I did not have a magnetic deep socket and I was worried that would cause me to drop one of the mounting nuts down into the door cavity, but I was cautious and used a ratchet and not an electric driver to mitigate that issue. I backed of the first nut a few turns and then was able to easily spin back the nut with just the socket and extension (like a nut driver). The nuts are attached to the washers, so as it got to the end of the stud's threads while taking it off, I was able to put a couple fingers behind it to keep it pressed against the socket and pull it away from the stud. This worked extremely well and I shouldn't have fretted over not having a magnetic deep socket.

By the way, I was able to leave the door card still connected by the latch cables and just swing it down out of the way resting on a piece of carpet on the garage floor and leaning against the door while I did the re & re on the mirror. There was one screw tab that I had to cut and then hot glue together when assembling it with the new mirror frame as it was impossible to remove the old frame from the assembly unless I was going to dismantle the whole mirror assembly completely, which I didn't see a method to do so without specialized tools. I was also a bit under the gun time wise as my misses advised she wanted to drive her Lexus, and not my Mazda to work the following day. Cutting and Hot Gluing the tab worked just fine.

My only significant issue was the Frame assembly I got off eBay wasn't perfect. There was one screw mounting hole that wasn't drilled out, but it wasn't a big deal to correct. The other issue is there was a small imperfection along one of the lines where the frame meets the body colored back cover. It wandered off parallel about a 1/16 of an inch. Noticeable to me when assembling, but unless you knew it was there most folks won't see it. My other concern was the tape I'd used to keep the old assembly together while I got the part and the repair done, had left a slight residue where it contacted the body colored back cover. I tried various removal agents with limited success. I'm just going to let it wear off over the winter, see what's left come spring.

All in all, I'm happy with the repair, even with the slight defects in the eBay Frame. Spending $40 instead of over $1,000 at the local Lexus dealer here in Canada.
Old 01-15-24, 09:55 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

... My other concern was the tape I'd used to keep the old assembly together while I got the part and the repair done, had left a slight residue where it contacted the body colored back cover. I tried various removal agents with limited success. I'm just going to let it wear off over the winter, see what's left come spring.
I do not know if you tried this one "Goo gone for glue and tape". https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goo-Gone-...RoC-S4QAvD_BwE
Old 01-15-24, 10:20 AM
Jimsathome
Driver

Exactly!

But no joy!