NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Haven't Owned a Car in Years - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-20 | 08:30 PM
LeonS
Driver School Candidate

Default Haven't Owned a Car in Years - Need Advice

Hi guys:
For many years, I've had a company car, so didn't have to deal with it when there was a problem. Last month, I purchased an NX in Atomic Silver. Loving the car...BUT:
Today I was waiting in the Drive Through @ Chick-fil-a. A young kid (18) drove behind me across the line, and the corner his rear bumper grazed my rear bumper causing paint damage to my rear bumper (picture attached). It's hard to tell from the picture, but there is no physical damage to the bumper, only the paint. We traded papers, and he asked me if I would consider getting an estimate. He said that he would be willing to pay if it was around $1,000 instead of going to insurance. I'm not sure how to proceed. I assume the bumper needs to be taken off and repainted? sounds like a lot more than $1,000 to me? Anyway, here are my questions. I am a senior citizen and live alone, so any advice is appreciated.
1) Should I even consider getting an estimate and seeing if he wants to pay cash?
2) I want it fixed like new. It is my understanding that Atomic Silver is a multi-layer paint and that it is difficult to do well. There is only ONE "Lexus Approved" auto body shop near me, and it is over an hour away. However, if that is best, I will do that. I am in the Boston area. Is it best to go to this "Lexus Approved" auto body shop. If not, where? (I am in the Boston area).

I'm feeling a little confused (maybe part of it is the virus situation we are all living with) and would appreciate any/all help/advice.

Be safe/Stay healthy,
Regards,
Leon

No body damage, only the paint.

Last edited by LeonS; 04-16-20 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Add Photo
Old 04-17-20 | 06:04 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Leon,
Couple of years ago my car front bumper was grazed. It was fixed at Lexus dealer (I coupled this with service and was offered free car for duration of repair) for about $650. It appears that whatever the kid offered should cover your car fix. However, you do not have to go to Lexus for this. You can fix it at Toyota dealer, if your preference is to work with dealership, or you can fix it at any body shop and save $$.

Old 04-17-20 | 06:47 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

I would get 2 or 3 estimates to get an accurate idea of the repair costs. Definitely get one of the estimates at the Lexus approved body shop as well as a couple of other body shops that do high end cars. (BMW, etc). With that information, you can decide if you want him to pay or go through his insurance or whatever. You will need a rental or loaner car while yours is being repaired so that cost needs to be figured in as well.
Old 04-17-20 | 07:27 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Some advice from another "senior citizen" originally from MA:
You and I are not qualified to decide if $1000 will cover a satisfactory repair. A superficial repair on a flexible panel will crack within a few years . . . on a new car, you should settle for nothing less than a new bumper cover, which must be painted to match (4 step process on a bumper cover).
If you felt the impact, then something other than just the bumper cover was stressed. A body shop familiar with this model is best qualified to assess the damage.
See that circular object to the right of the scrape. That is the sensor for blind spot and rear cross-traffic detection. That system probably must be re-calibrated by a Lexus dealer after bumper replacement.

Read this before deciding your next step:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...er90/Section26
https://www.injuryclaimcoach.com/mas...ent-guide.html

Definitely notify your insurance carrier. Once the other driver speaks to his parents or another relative, they may advise him to deny he was ever involved in the incident. Since the police were not notified, it is now your word versus his.

Here is what I would do in your situation:
Go to a nearby Dunkin' Donut shop (a form of currency up here in New England) and purchase a dozen.
Take the donuts to the service manager where you purchased your NX, and ask him to recommend a repair shop close to your residence. You want a place where the technicians would bring their vehicles. Likely he will make a quick phone call, and you will have a detailed repair estimate within a hour or two.
As the saying goes . . . Been there, done that.
Old 04-17-20 | 07:33 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I wouldn't in my wildest dreams have damage caused by someone else fixed fixed without involving my own insurance company and the insurance company of the other party.

Things can go very wrong. Don't make the kid's problem your problem.

The way I've usually handled incidents like this, and I've had several, is to have the damage fixed through my own insurer and let my insurer recover the costs from the insurer of the person who damaged my vehicle.

I worked in the insurance industry for 31 years - retired.
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-18-20)
Old 04-17-20 | 07:59 AM
Torii
Intermediate

just go thru insurance. I have taken cash before tho, and never gotten repairs made. also have taken insurance money and not fixed before. just do what makes you sleep good.