1st week and already having problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-20, 08:03 PM
Marley19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st week and already having problems

Hi everyone,

I did some research on previous threads and found a lot under Toyota but nothing recent under the Lexus NX...

I bought my certified 2019 NX 300t 7 days ago with 6200 miles. Less than 24hours after getting it, the error message popped up, “Pre-Collision System Malfunction, Visit Your Dealer”. They replaced the windshield after I bought it (but before I picked it up) and said the sensors in the windshield weren't calibrated properly. They fixed it the next day. I’ve only drove my 150 miles later (5 days later), the error message comes on again!

I’m really frustrated this has happened twice now within one week of getting the car. I checked my service vehicle record in my Lexus app and they wrote the first service up as “used car detail.” Shouldn’t it be wrote up as a recalibration? I want the right thing documented in case I have a lemon.

Am I being swindled here?
Old 07-05-20, 02:11 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts

Maybe. I would go back again but this time have them properly document this visit and also try to fix the description for the last visit. It'll probably take a bit of nagging or arguing but as you mentioned, will be worth it in the long run.

Odd that they certified it while needing a new windshield. I understand windshields aren't bulletproof but if it's certified, it should be cherry picked and thus the hefty price tag.
Old 07-05-20, 06:46 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

its obviously not certified...dont let this problem linger and document all.
Old 07-05-20, 07:32 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Didn't know used cars get lemon lawed, but whatever the case is.

1) Your under warranty. Take it in, and make sure the service order is properly filled in.
2) Any PCS calibration recalls on your vin?
3) Low/bad battery may make this happen
4) My money however is on that windshield replacement being the root of the issue. If you can check the PCS system camera located in the center top of the windshield.

CPO doenst have any terms that says windshield replacement disqualify the vehicle from being CPOed, heck accident vehicles are eligible and have been CPOed in the past.
Old 07-06-20, 08:33 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I assume you bought this at a Lexus dealer and they changed the windshield or sent it out for a windshield. There is no reason that they should not be able to calibrate the system correctly unless they did not install an OEM windshield. On some cars, the systems cannot be calibrated correctly if it doesn’t have an OEM windshield. In this case, they need to install the correct windshield and calibrate the system.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (07-06-20)
Old 07-06-20, 02:46 PM
TXS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me... if it still under warranty, they will take their sweet time. If you paid for a service, they will gladly take your money and fi it asap.
Old 07-07-20, 12:45 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,641 Posts

meh not a big deal. just take it to Lexus until it gets fixed. it's a mass produced consumer good, this is what warranties are for.
Old 07-08-20, 05:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its a used car, it will have issues. Lexus is not fool proof, despite of all the high rating, Lexus in my opinion, is only slight more reliable than the top 10 brands concerning reliability. A used car adds to the variables that can cause problems, you can no longer go by the new car reliability rating or even the used one since each previous owner treats the car differently.
Old 07-08-20, 09:50 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 253 Posts

Although it may seem like a good idea to buy used and save $$$. There're always risks purchasing used cars unless you're an expert mechanic or know how good the previous owner baby it. I heard many horrible stories from Lessees that neglected maintenance or just do the minimum until it's time to get rid of the vehicle. Of course, some 1st owner takes care of their vehicle well.

Of course, I have the dumb luck last year. I purchased 2 used Lexus CPO cars (1 for wife and myself). Both CPO cars aren't what they cut out to be. Long story short sparing the details, I sold one and kept the 2nd one. The one we kept, has this bad smoke smell and some other minor issues. I already spent over $1K to address that issue so it's a little better now on the smoke smell. Probably drive it a few years then decide after CPO warranty expires.

I'll probably not buy used again. I felt like buying somebody's problem.

Lesson learned painfully with the wallet. If it's mechanical, Lexus would take care of it if under warranty.

Last edited by websurfer; 07-08-20 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 10:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
Although it may seem like a good idea to buy used and save $$$. There're always risks purchasing used cars unless you're an expert mechanic or know how good the previous owner baby it. I heard many horrible stories from Lessees that neglected maintenance or just do the minimum until it's time to get rid of the vehicle. Of course, some 1st owner takes care of their vehicle well.

Of course, I have the dumb luck last year. I purchased 2 used Lexus CPO cars (1 for wife and myself). Both CPO cars aren't what they cut out to be. Long story short sparing the details, I sold one and kept the 2nd one. The one we kept, has this bad smoke smell and some other minor issues. I already spent over $1K to address that issue so it's a little better now on the smoke smell. Probably drive it a few years then decide after CPO warranty expires.

I'll probably not buy used again. I felt like buying somebody's problem.

Lesson learned painfully with the wallet. If it's mechanical, Lexus would take care of it if under warranty.
It really depends on your outlook and expectations. If you do your due diligence and understand the idea and terms behind a CPO, its probably the safest way into a used Lexus.

It all depends on you, rather then the dealer, the CPO program, or even the previous owners idea of caring for their ride.
Old 07-08-20, 10:31 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
It really depends on your outlook and expectations. If you do your due diligence and understand the idea and terms behind a CPO, its probably the safest way into a used Lexus.

It all depends on you, rather then the dealer, the CPO program, or even the previous owners idea of caring for their ride.
I say just buy new if one can afford it. I traded it for a new Lexus.

Also, don't buy the lowest priced CPO unsold for weeks. Lesson learned.