NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

using google maps with bt while listening to radio stations

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 10:41 PM
623baller
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using google maps with bt while listening to radio stations

if im streaming music through bluetooth , google maps alerts will come through normally but not when im listening to radio stations

does anyone know how to enable google maps alerts when listening in radio mode?

only workaround i found so far was turn on play bluetooth as phone call in google maps settings.
Old 07-13-20, 04:32 PM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Not that I know of either since the sound from the phone is transmitting through bluetooth, (sorry for stating the obvious)., unless someone else have figured this out.
Old 07-14-20, 07:19 AM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I would delete both phone and car pairing and pair the phone again. Make sure you allow both phone voice and audio on both car and phone. You will see the phone voice and audio icons on the car setting manual when you paired/enable both.

Sound like you only have audio enable when pairing your phone, you cannot play two audio source at the same time. Normally google map use phone voice and radio is use audio. Phone voice are first priority that's why when a phone call comes in other audio mutes, same as google map when it tells you to turn other audio mutes.
The following users liked this post:
623baller (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 09:01 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

This is how Lexus done it. I had the same in RX and now it is in NX as well. In my Audi, contrary to Lexus, I was able to listen to radio and had Wase alerts on and through.
Old 07-14-20, 09:41 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 869 Likes on 655 Posts

Go into the settings of Google Maps or Waze and set the Sound & Voice to: Play as Bluetooth phone call.
How does your media player respond to a phone call? Mutes the source and plays the call, right?
While listening to Radio or CD (remember those?) any Nav prompts will create an incoming phone call and
speak or trill. Once she's done your program will resume. Works on Apple phones, check Android apps for
the setting, it was not initially available.
Old 07-14-20, 10:36 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Go into the settings of Google Maps or Waze and set the Sound & Voice to: Play as Bluetooth phone call..... ........Works on Apple phones, check Android apps for
the setting, it was not initially available.
Just checked Waze and Google Maps - the setting you described above is not available in either app.
Old 07-14-20, 12:01 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Just checked Waze and Google Maps - the setting you described above is not available in either app.
For Google Maps, you need to start a route and then swipe up on the bottom tab and open up settings. The setting to play voice as a phone call is there.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (09-12-20)
Old 07-14-20, 12:32 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

here are a couple screen shots on an iPhone 11
Attached Files
Old 07-14-20, 12:44 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by pngo
For Google Maps, you need to start a route and then swipe up on the bottom tab and open up settings. The setting to play voice as a phone call is there.
"play voice as a phone call" is not a setting in Google Maps on my Samsung S10 Android after starting a route and it wasn't on my previous Android phones either. There is a setting "Play voice during phone calls" but that is not the same thing as "play voice as a phone call".

This question comes up over and over and over on car forums and I've yet to see anyone make it work - at least not on an Android phone.
Old 07-14-20, 12:46 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Not as well versed in Android system, I would have thought they would have adopted this by now.
Old 07-14-20, 12:51 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mcomer
here are a couple screen shots on an iPhone 11
Interesting that this option is available on iPhone and not on Android. I have both and checked.
Old 07-14-20, 01:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Interesting that this option is available on iPhone and not on Android. I have both and checked.
Why would Google make it work on Android and by doing that reduce the demand for Android Auto? Google isn't stupid.
Old 07-14-20, 01:12 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Why would Google make it work on Android and by doing that reduce the demand for Android Auto? Google isn't stupid.
If this is Google reason, than Google is stupid, assuming that millions of car owners will just get rid of their cars in favor of new cars with Android Auto vs their Android phones.
Old 07-14-20, 02:22 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

If this is Google reason, than Google is stupid, assuming that millions of car owners will just get rid of their cars in favor of new cars with Android Auto vs their Android phones.
Yes, Google has proven its stupidity by becoming one of the most successful companies on earth. What a horrible company. Please don't take my Google Fiber away!

Some people really will buy and are already buying new vehicles only to get CarPlay and/or Android Auto. Getting those features already is one of the reasons many people are buying new vehicles.

My wife and I are purchasing two new vehicles fairly soon. Both will have CarPlay (for my wife) and Android Auto (for me) unless my wife gets a Tesla which has its own proprietary system. One of the reasons I didn't order a 2020 Corvette C8 is that it has only wired versions of CarPlay and Android Auto. The Corvette doesn't get the wireless versions until the 2021 model year. I don't mind plugging in a phone in a vehicle but I really don't want to have to. Some people value this technology - even retired people in their 70's like us.
Old 07-14-20, 03:12 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Yes, Google has proven its stupidity by becoming one of the most successful companies on earth. What a horrible company. Please don't take my Google Fiber away! .......
Well, if I typed in smiley face in my reply you would catch a bit of sarcasm.. but too late.
Over last couple of years I purchased new Lexus and Acura, replacing Audi and other Lexus, and neither time Android Auto or Apple Play was not even major consideration but even a blimp on the list of options I considered. Perhaps I am outdated, but in the car I value different qualities and options. Thus, should I be interested in C8 Corvette, the absence of Android Auto wouldn't stop me from getting it. To me, C8 is about performance and driving.

Quick Reply: using google maps with bt while listening to radio stations