NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Best way to "launch"? - for track attack

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 09:47 PM
AsianDan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Best way to "launch"? - for track attack

Planning on trying the track attacks at a race track next week. Just wondering what would be best for the best launch possible. Left foot brake and give it throttle until there's some boost (it seems to start to kick in close to 2500 rpms) and maybe engage the awd lock button (I know it disengages at 25mph) for max grip? Also traction control on or off? It'll be probably 2nd gear speeds max. Much like an autocross.
I'm guessing with traction control on the rear wheels could kick in if the fronts slip but will that even help? Also would it back off the throttle and/ or add braking?
Or just turn traction control off?
Is there a way to FULLY turn off traction control? Like a series of pushing buttons and turning off and on ignitions etc. (My bro's 17 civic requires him to do multiple things in sequence to fully turn off his TC when he autocrosses his)

. By no means am i'm trying to win a trophy or anything. Got 9 inch wide 20 "wheels and rs-r springs is all. Just doing this for fun. They allow old 60s trucks and even 1940's cars at these events. I've autocrossed many times in the past with a few previous cars. Gotta utilize my paddle shifters and G force meter for once! Haha

Last edited by AsianDan; 07-20-20 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-20-20, 10:21 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Press and hold the traction control button to fully turn off stability control as well, plus pre-collision and a few other things turn off when you do this. You don't need to lock it into awd, it should always lock at take off, but it won't hurt anything either.

Brake boosting like you're talking about is hard on the torque converter, can really heat things up and cause premature wear. Also your insurance/warranty can be at risk for participating in events like this, most likely any damage that might happen won't be covered. The NX isn't really worth taking to a track event, I wouldn't bother.
The following users liked this post:
AsianDan (07-21-20)
Old 07-21-20, 08:48 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Press and hold the traction control button to fully turn off stability control as well, plus pre-collision and a few other things turn off when you do this. You don't need to lock it into awd, it should always lock at take off, but it won't hurt anything either.
Above is correct for FULL TCS off. You need to press and hold TCS for several seconds until the amber TCS light on the left side of the cluster turns on. (not the TCS off message on the center LCD)

Originally Posted by AsianDan
I'm guessing with traction control on the rear wheels could kick in if the fronts slip but will that even help?
Power will still get routed to the rear wheels. The biggest benefit turning TCS off does is allow you to manage the throttle at exit without power cuts. Of course, you'd get understeer if you give it too much throttle too early - on factory suspension geometry, anyway, but at least you don't have to deal with the computer taking fractions of a second to decide to let you play again.

Originally Posted by AsianDan
By no means am i'm trying to win a trophy or anything. Got 9 inch wide 20 "wheels and rs-r springs is all. Just doing this for fun. They allow old 60s trucks and even 1940's cars at these events. I've autocrossed many times in the past with a few previous cars. Gotta utilize my paddle shifters and G force meter for once! Haha
As you mentioned, you won't be winning a trophy with the NX, but it can be very fun. It's surprisingly capable once you actually change suspension geometry, not just components, to neutralize factory failsafes. Fully disabling TCS doesn't allow you to enjoy the G force meter though, since the TCS off message comes back up on the center LCD a mere few seconds after every time you dismiss it.
The following users liked this post:
AsianDan (07-21-20)
Old 07-27-20, 06:37 PM
AsianDan
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Turns out it limits the rpms to just under boost. But with just the RS-R springs and the Continental sport contacts I was impressed how good the NX handles! I had NO idea it would handle like a hatchback car I was thinking it would be crazy top heavy (of course it is compared to say, a civic) but it didn't feel like it. The stock brakes surprised me for slowing down a 4k lb vehicle so well. Keeping it in automatic & sport mode allowed me to"downshift" to 1st in places where in manual shift it wouldn't let me and kept me under boost lag in 2nd. I got faster staying in automatic. Not by much but every bit helps.

I had to use some color filters because it was dark inside the cabin and so bright outside. Sorry for the fast and furious quotes.
The following 2 users liked this post by AsianDan:
DaveGS4 (07-27-20), Lexuswiz (07-30-20)